Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Renthal Ultra Tacky lock on grips, anyone tried ergon GE1 and / or GA2?
  • mudfish

Discuss?
    I’ve been trying these on a couple of uplift days at FOD.
    Easier to hold onto because they are so tacky.
    Apparently great gloveless but sweaty palms and offs mean thats not for me.
    I certainly had less forearm tiredness but for sure my hands are more sore.
    Thumb web blistered and callouses at finger bases irritated. Grips grip gloves a lot, so hands move in gloves and any seams are an issue.
    So, more careful (and tighter) glove choice is plainly needed. Gonna dig out the Rajis.
    Anyone else ? Did you get used to the Ultra Tackys?

ESI Race (silicone push on) felt ok on in the hands my last FOD test but meant more forearm ache and ends a very fragile.

I’ve tried a LOT of grips both push on and lock on. Hands want to move out to the very end of the bars (even on 800s) so raised clamps are not so nice on the ulnar nerve. Renthals Ultra Tackys keep the hands in place so that’s one plus.

ODI TLD were pretty nice nut the inner clamp put an awful score line round the carbon bar and still had the “hands move out onto clamps” issue. Same with the Easton carbon friendlys, nice 30mm dia and good surface but very raised outer clamps mean edge of hand ache.
    Ergon GE1 and GA2 are on my “possible” list now. No outer clamps has to be good.
    Noce and soft, thin version is 30mm, hmmm
    Thanks for your opinions

gkeeffe

Fwiw I like specialized BG contour xct. Deleted from a few years ago. I stockpiled some. They are comfy and good for carpal issues.

You can still find them.

gkeeffe

Ps tried ergon didn’t like them!

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m currently liking the DMR Deathgrip.

honourablegeorge

+1 for the DMR Deathgrips from me, and they’re cheap too, relative to some others.

Had soem Ergons in my hand in the LBS the other day, their thinner “standard” grip caught my eye but I didn’t buy (yet)

panzerjager
    Free Member

I’ve got the Renthal Kevlar lock-ons on one bike, which I like a lot, good shape & size for my hands but, like you, tend to end up running on the ends of the grips.

Decided to try the Ergons on my new bike, the GE1’s, which I bought from here, very slightly used & got on with them instantly. The shape is perfect for my hands, theres a little sweep/rise adjustment too, which on a new bike with different bar width & reach, helped me get the feel dialled closer to my other bike & I can now run my hands on the outside of the grips due to the lack of outer clamp.

It’s not all good news though,There is one issue with them which drives me mad, almost to the point of changing them & that is that the outer ends move ever so slightly, which causes a ticking noise/feeling when you ride. doesn’t sound like much, but I’m aware of it most of the time. I did cure it with an 1″ long piece of vinyl electrical tape on the outer end of the bar, before reinstalling the grips, but on last removal, the tape bunched up, got removed & now the tick is back…

Would be good to know if others have had similar experience, as I’d definite;y buy again, but for this.

mudfish

Thx fr comments everyone.
    I am getting a bit more used to the Renthals.
    They certainly keep your hands in the bars with minimal grip (I always use gloves but the grips still do increase traction they need less grip pressure)
    The massive blister I got on the web of my thumb from a combo of super tacky grips and gloves with a seam across (Royal DH, old design) has gone now thanks to calendula ointment – and thin tight gloves (raceface) are helping as they seem to move on the hands less and dont get wrinkled.

A pal has ION gloves with all the seams outwards, great idea! So simple! Must try some, seems hard to get ION stuff, their K-Pact kneepads are ace too.

I plan to try the Pro Athertons 30mm grips but may wait til the Renthals wear. The Athertons have an internal plug to stop rotation, but no endclamp and having tried them years back, I can say they are comfortable. Nice soft rubber. Wore out quick tho. And ends get damaged.
    Nice to be able to grip the bar full width.

Freeborn have the black, not listed much so might be discontinued I guess.

wheeleeneelee
    Free Member

I’ve just started using GE1 Slim grips (they feel much better to me than standard GE1) – all good so far.

mudfish

Guys
    good feedback thx
    sadly the Atherton Pro grips I mentioned are discontinued, I was wondering what Gee uses now, maybe the Bontragers I guess.
    Might have to try the GE1.
    Also I came across these beauties from Renthal, I just wish they’d do a single clamp version:
    http://factoryjackson.com/2016/07/12/renthal-traction-lock-on-grip-review/
    should allow an even lighter grip tension than the ultra tackys! better wear tight gloves then!

daver27
    Free Member

I went from Renthals to Ergon GE1s.

Hands down (no pun intended) the GE1s are the best grip ive ever used. however…

You need to make sure there is zero padding on the palms of your gloves as this makes them really uncomfortable. I always suffered with lock ons and the outer collar bruising my hand. the Ergons lack of this and the extra squidge on the edge makes them brilliant.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The best grips that I’ve ever tried, that cured my pinky finger cramping overnight – are some Giant BMX grip style models. I’ll see if I can find them.

We’ve got loads of different grips lying around the garage, they are by far and beyond the best lock on grips I have ever used.

mudfish

thx everyone

mudfish

Aching hands and wrists problem solved. Renthal extra tacky “traction” grips. Its just so easy to hold on, those grips jold on to your hands and work pretty well even with thin gloves.
    I’m actually riding gloveless a lot with these, they are so tacky your hands just stay put.
    One other thing has helped, setting hand position by riding with thumbs above the bar (i.e not “wrapped”). Not all the time, just on an occasional climb or easy bit.
    This sets the heel of the hand, near the little finger, in the right position ro push the bike forward, why is this important? gripping with the thumbs just isn’t the right way to achieve this. Setting the hand position as I describe means that its the outer 3 fingers fingers and palm that are gripping, not the weaker thumb. (First finger is on the brake).
    Its worth thinking about this cos 30 years of mountainbiking with a grip that relied on the thumb too much has contributed to osteo arthritis for me. Krill oil is helping (you eat it) but a better grip “form” would have helped.

Apparently the thumb is weak compared to fingers and its “designed” to push something into the hand so it can be gripped, not to actually grip itself.

Ah well.
    Thanks for your opinions everyone.
    Neil

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Renthal Ultra Tacky lock on grips, anyone tried ergon GE1 and / or GA2?’ is closed to new replies.