• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Del.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Renthal lite alloy vs carbon?
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

So after testing my mates bars I really like size and sweep so ordering my own.

I don’t mind spending the extra on carbon bars, but having not tried them before what are the advantages? Is it just weight (100g).

Junkyard
    Free Member

weight mainly

Some claim they are more flexy and forgiving – hardly an issue with 150 mm of suspension- though i doubt anyone could say what bar material it was in a blind test

jayx2a
    Free Member

Thought as much, although I think they look better in carbon, but at twice the price, not sure it’s worth it!

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes having the same issue myself and all my current bars are carbon but doubt the next set will be

I dont think 100g is worth the doubling in price personally on my bike heavy FS anyway

Might on the SS

iggs
    Free Member

Aren’t they made in different widths. The Alu Lite are 750mm and the carbon 780mm

Vortexracing

Nope, both lite versions are 740mm

MSP

The 31.8 lites are 740, the 35mm lites are 760
    The 31.8 fatbars are 780 and the 35 fatbars are 800.

For both carbon and alu.

jayx2a
    Free Member

As above both 740. The 35 versions of the lite are 760.

I guess just got to decide if the weight and better looks (imo) are worth it!

The 35 bars and stem are of a similar price, but i don’t really do anything that warrants 35!

The 35s are just 10g heavier than normal lites.

nickc

I’ve had carbon bars in the past, but my Renthal Ali bars aren’t any less comfy.

jamj1974

I have the DH’s and they are the first carbon bars I trusted in 8 years. Seem strong, comfy and are pretty light. One set of mine have survived a low speed crash where I broke my shoulder through the ball and socket joint and another where they survived spinning around and breaking two of my ribs.

So… I would recommend.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Might go for the carbon lites!

chakaping
    Free Member

Decent carbon bars are not more flexy, but they do cut out more vibration and can feel less harsh IME.

Just gone back to a good alu bar as I needed a flat bar. It’s totally fine, but I definitely can tell the difference.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

carbon is the best , but depends how much you crash 🙂

honourablegeorge

Haven’t directly compared renthal.alu to carbon, but I definitely get fewer blisters and less sore hands on a week of uplift with carbon bars. Couldn’t tell the difference riding blind but over a week it does matter.

jayx2a
    Free Member

740mm should be ok for me. To get the lite in a longer version you have to move up to the 35 Bar (which is on sale for the same price).

core

chakaping – Member

Decent carbon bars are not more flexy, but they do cut out more vibration and can feel less harsh IME.

Just gone back to a good alu bar as I needed a flat bar. It’s totally fine, but I definitely can tell the difference.

Could that be as much about bar shape as material? I’d think there is inherently more spring/flex/comfort in a riser bar than a flat one.

Del

i have set of carbon lites i’ll do for 60 quid posted. uncut, no damage, just marked from clamping. shout if you want ’em. 🙂

jayx2a
    Free Member

What rise are the ones you are selling?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m a long time user of Renthal bars and ran some Lites on my Five before I sold it. Got some Race Face Next carbon jobbies on my Alpine now and at no point have I noticed any flex/increased comfort etc.

Del

they’re the lowest ones. will check tomorrow and take some pics if you like?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Renthal lite alloy vs carbon?’ is closed to new replies.