Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Renthal fatbar lites vs fatbar carbon
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

Howdy, I am in need (want) of a new 31.8mm bar. I like the shape of Renthals so will be sticking with them. I am settled on 750-760 max bar width so normally I’d just buy another alu fatbar lite but I’m wondering about trying out a carbon bar to see if it increases comfort. Unfortunately the fatbar lite carbon are only 740mm so I’d be looking at the full 800mm wide fatbar carbon and cutting it down. Presumably I will lose some of the benefits of carbon by buying a bar designed to be wider and cutting it down, but will it make any actual difference? Or am I better off sticking with the aluminium fatbar lite at 760mm?
    Does anyone have experience of the fatbar carbon cut down? I’ve heard that carbon Renthal can be stiff but not sure if that’s just the 35mm versions.

dc1988

I don’t think they will increase comfort in any meaningful way, I’ve had plenty of carbon bars and alloy bars and it made no noticeable difference to me. If you want carbon bars for weight savings and looks then go for it but comfort is better found in grips/tyres/suspension

Stevelol
    Free Member

I have a Fatbar Lite at 760 and a Fatbar carbon cut to 750, to me there’s absolutely no difference in feel, the carbon is just a bit lighter if you’re bothered about that.

I have the carbons sat in a box and can’t be bothered swapping them back.

b33k34

I’ve had carbon bars and really dislike the way they get scratched/scored in crashes when the brake levers get shifted.

Alu all the way for me now. you’ve got 31.8 rather than 35

Del

My experiences of the carbon Vs ally renthals echo the other posters. Couldn’t tell any difference. If you just find you have too much money they will help there though!  😉

Other brands have a reputation for more comfort/vibration damping but I have no personal experience.

pothead
    Free Member

I’ll go against the previous comments and say I prefer the alu Renthal bars over carbon. I’m pretty light and find they are more comfortable on the hands after a few hours riding. Both at 760mm, carbon cut to size, alu came at 760

Stevet1
    Free Member

Perfect, thanks all – alu Renthal lites ordered.

jamj1974

I prefer carbon over aluminium – with some including Renthal – there can be less buzz the feedback for me.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

I have a fatbar lite carbon at 760mm sat in the garage off an old bike doing nothing.
    Drop me a PM if you want to make a bid for it, can’t be bothered putting it on eBay.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.