• This topic has 30 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by csb.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Renters
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

If this belongs in the Landlords thread I’ll do it there instead.

New measures to protect renters are round the corner…

Today I got my marching orders – hand delivered. Out by June 1st.

Arse!

Kind of undstandable as the owners were looking to sell with us as sitting tenants, but no one’s biting – possibly due to our rent being very good for the area.

Anyone think there’s anything we can do?
    This could be a very awkward time to try to find somewhere else to live. For info we are 2 guys, not related and not in a relationship 🙂

Caher

Are you in a position to buy? Especially if there is 2 of you.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Are you in a position to buy? Especially if there is 2 of you.

No, but I think I can get in position pretty quickly.

I’m not buying with him! He does **** all cleaning – not even himself by the smell of his bedroom 😷😷

silverneedle
    Free Member

I feel for you there Rob, Sounds like your landlord might be thinking get it in now before any legislation is passed to protect you and then being stuck for who knows how long. Without knowing the landlords circumstances but it sounds quite low in fact very low but in my experience nothing unusual. We got kicked out from an 8 year long rental whilst coping with iminent cancer death in a family member but that didnt deter them.
    It could also be hard for the landlord to find people to enforce an eviction at this awkward time though.
    My bet is you will be protected through sort of backdated legislation soon and will get more time.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Sounds like your landlord might be thinking get it in now before any legislation is passed to protect you and then being stuck for who knows how long.

Very much this I think. The landlords are retired, live in France and are getting on a bit. They tried to sell a couple of years ago. They could probably afford to drop their asking price by a lot too as they bought it decades ago, so would still make a killing.

We’re in Reading, BTW. So if there’s anyone who needs a Tennant who can be bothered to look after the place they live in, give me shout 🙂

frankconway

Make them an offer – explain that the UK market is heading south and will certainly be depressed for years so they can either take a profit now (less than they want or think) or be stuck with a depreciating asset.
    No need to be quite as direct; sugar coat the message, a bit of word-smithing.
    Who knows? They may bite.

slackalice
    Free Member

Why on earth would anyone want to buy a property now?! The financial system is on its knees and in a few months’ time, when the masses finally work out how much of an illusion and con it is, the relative values will be meaningless. Possession being nine tenths of the law.

Sit tight, it looks like the emergency legislation is being brought in to protect exactly this sort of arsehole behaviour by landlords.

nickjb
    Free Member

Why on earth would anyone want to buy a property now?

Interest rates are low, property prices will rise long term, some bargains to be had out there. Yes these are uncertain times and everyone’s circumstances are different so you need to work out what is best for you but I’d certainly consider buyer if currently renting.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’d certainly consider buyer if currently renting.

Anyone who would consider buying in this current shit storm is crazy.

There is not a single factor that would indicate that house prices are going to go up in the short to medium term. More likely the market crashes and takes years to get back to the current level, if ever.

matt_outandabout

, so would still make a killing.

Minus 40% in CGT of course.
    Plus by your own admission you’ve a low rent, so they are not quite as nasty as some.
    I’m selling our place at the moment to my tenants (I hope). I’ve done a deal to gift them the cost of an estate agent towards the deposit. On a good first time buyers 95% mortgage they are £50 a month better off than renting.

Good luck finding a new place.

Caher

Except you’d need to win the lottery to buy in Reading, where the OP lives. 2 bed terrace going for 375k.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Today I got my marching orders – hand delivered. Out by June 1st.

Well rob I think you are safe for now.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/complete-ban-on-evictions-and-additional-protection-for-renters

Matt24k
    Free Member

Minus 40% in CGT of course

CGT rates are 28% and 18% and an annual allowance of £12500.

CGT House Sale

Dickyboy

explain that the UK market is heading south

Tell me about it, we were originally supposed to complete sale of Mrs dB & her ex’s house on Tues, then moved to 24th and now looking like first buyer in two link chain is going to pull out. But for a couple of minor queries contracts would have been exchanged and buyers locked in a couple of weeks ago. 😒

poolman
    Free Member

Hi Rob I m a landlord I wouldn’t worry about it. Unless the sellers giving it away it won’t sell so talk with landlord to do a deal to tide you over.

I thought the no fault eviction was now illegal. Assuming everything is up to date, rent, prescribed info, deposit protection.

Check the epc is in date or the notice is meaningless.

Ask on landlordzone some experts on there.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m not sure it’s that simple.

I’m 46, better half is 41, we both can only work part-time and better half has only been working for almost five years. Lived in the same private-rental flat for almost 14 years, £510pcm when we moved in in summer 2006, increases in 2011/15/19 and is now £750pcm. In the time we’ve been here, rental prices have shot up in Southampton, outside the more unpleasant parts of the city, there’s no way we could get an equivalent modest sized place for less.

We live a very basic lifestyle and even then, by the time we pay essential rent/food/utilities etc., we are only adding to our house deposit savings by ~£300-400pcm if neither of us buy new hobby “treats.”

My Help To Buy ISA will be eligible for the full £3k bonus some summer, which might almost be the perfect time to buy the way things are looking with this CV19 outbreak, given the number of sub £150k properties is Southampton is very slim pickings.

The other leftfield option is to see if we could move in with better half’s mum (to hopefully boost our monthly savings) when better half’s sister moves into her first mortgaged home in the coming months, all being well with the contract paperwork.

Time is against us, I suspect we will only be offered 20-year mortgage plans at best.

nickjb
    Free Member

There is not a single factor that would indicate that house prices are going to go up in the short to medium term. More likely the market crashes and takes years to get back to the current level, if ever.

There might be a blip but I doubt we’ll see any long term drops. In 5 years house prices will be more expensive than they are now and in 10 years they’ll be significantly more. If you buy well and the mortgage is a similar cost to rent then its really a no-brainer long term.

poolman
    Free Member

Nobody – have you asked your landlord if you can buy a half share of your property. I have a v long term tenant and was thinking of doing a deal. I suspect long term renters will get some legislation to help. Any landlord with a 14 year tenancy should be up for suggestions sounds like you are a dream tenant.

tjagain

I thought the no fault eviction was now illegal

Only in Scotland I think

RobHilton
    Free Member

So… They’ve agreed a sale and want us to sign a contract, which as I read it, gives us 2 weeks notice to get out once lockdown is lifted.

4 The property is sold with vacant possession.

5 Representations
    Neither party can rely on any representation made by the other, unless made in writing by the other or his conveyancer, but this does not exclude liability for fraud or recklessness.

6 Occupier’s consent
    Each occupier identified below agrees with the seller and the buyer, in consideration of their entering into this contract, that the occupier concurs in the sale of the property on the terms of this contract, undertakes to vacate the property on or before the completion date and releases the property and any included fixtures and contents from any right or interest that the occupier may have.

Note: this condition does not apply to occupiers under leases or tenancies subject to which the property is sold.

7 “Force Majeure – Public Health Emergencies

Should either party be unable to complete this matter due to regulations imposed by the UK Government or guidance given by Public Health England [Public Health Wales] or their Agencies in relation to the novel Coronavirus Covid-19, specifically legal or practical restrictions on movement of persons essential to the transaction and/or where the banking system is restricted or prevented from receiving and transferring monies, then neither party will be deemed to be in default for this period and the Completion Date shall be delayed to such other date as agreed by the Parties not later than 14 days after the said regulations have been revoked or the said guidance has ceased to apply and the banking system is up and running and, in the absence of an agreement, the Completion Date shall be the 14th day after such revocation or cessation. Nothing in this Force Majeure provision shall have the effect of annulling or frustrating the strict contractual obligations of the parties but only to delay these obligations for the period described in this clause. In the event that completion does not take place by …… 2020 then either party may serve written notice upon the other rescinding the Contract with immediate effect and with no further recourse thereafter to the other party.”

They can’t put dates in as it’s a case of who knows when, but it doesn’t seem great.

poolman
    Free Member

I bought 2 houses with tenants in situ mid contract. The buyer inherits the sellers obligations to you as a tenant. Don’t agree to anything you have a contract in place or speak with buyer they may be happy you stay on. You are actually in a strong position as you are living there legally…tbh if I was you I would be asking for a sweetener to vacate.

Flaperon

Don’t sign anything.

You’re simply giving rights away and forcing yourself to leave at a time when both moving house and finding somewhere new to rent is almost impossible.

If the buyer wants it, they’ll take the risk or negotiate your landlord down.

Personally I’d just stay, but keep paying the rent. They can’t enter the place to evict you; they can’t set debt collectors on you; and the courts are closed so they can’t formally evict you anyway.

5lab

If the buyer wants it, they’ll take the risk or negotiate your landlord down.

this isn’t really true. Most mortgages aren’t available for a tenanted property, you would need a specific btl mortgage, which is difficult if you then want to move into the place.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Don’t sign anything.

I think I’ll follow this advice 🙂

They can’t enter the place to evict you; they can’t set debt collectors on you; and the courts are closed so they can’t formally evict you anyway.

Apparently, no eviction petitions will be looked at until the end of June ATM, so there doesn’t seem much they could do.

I think we’ll be telling them we need an assured notice period to give us time to find us a new hovel in which to dwell.

poolman
    Free Member

Ok I hate giving advice like this as I am a landlord but I know my tenants would do this.

If any of the following was not done properly any notice is invalid:

Valid epc in date, they last 10 years
    The prescribed info that explains tenants rights was given you at the start

Also, what’s the end date of your ast, if you re in residence at midnight of that date a rolling periodic contract is triggered by default. This gives you 2 months notice.

If the buyers are buying on a residential mortgage the lender will want vacant possession so make sure everything has been done properly.

cookeaa

So… They’ve agreed a sale and want us to sign a contract, which as I read it, gives us 2 weeks notice to get out once lockdown is lifted.

Do not sign that!

Have they sold or is this simply to enable them to sell the place as a vacant property? i.e. they have an agreement to sell a vacant property, which isn’t what they currently have, so they’re a long way from exchanging any contracts.

TBH I think They will have missed the Reading bubble, Since Crossrail was announced the property prices/rents have been disgusting here, but an imminent recession/downturn means everyone who’s bought in Reading in the last couple of years is probably about to go into negative equity (including us).

RichPenny
    Free Member

I would also ask them to confirm if they meant to be quite so **** callous, as to turf you out of your house with 14 days notice in the middle of a **** pandemic! Flat out **** ****.

Also, IANAL, but is it possible that document could work to your advantage? If you don’t sign it or a new lease, the restictions lift and you can find a new place? then as long as its 14 days after the restrictions could you give them 1 day’s notice?

poolman
    Free Member

Also, as they have acted like a.ses I would not cooperate with viewings. Check your contract it may say you have to cooperate with rental viewings in the last month of tenure. If so, these are sales viewings so you don’t have to comply.

You may find its the agent being an a.se, the owners may be unaware of the agents behaviour. I would talk to them directly and let them know you are entitled to quiet enjoyment of your home.

I know for a fact if I acted like this my tenants would make sure they would leave on their terms.

tjagain

I would be asking the owners to make it worth my while to move out and not just a couple of hundred quid

Seek professional advice

MoreCashThanDash

Looking forward to new legislation protecting tenants, as part of my job involves some of the old legislation 👍

csb

So they want their cake (rental income for as long as possible) and they want to eat it (you out as quick as possible once things get moving)?

Haven’t read the new laws but presumably landlords can still end tenancies for legitimate reasons (moving back in, selling to buy a yacht, whatever), but the length of notice is being rebalanced towards the tenants?

If you do nothing what is your rolling notice period?

I know someone who may have a house near Reading Uni to rent. How much do you want to pay?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Renters’ is closed to new replies.