Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Rental e-scooters to be made legal on UK roads from Saturday
  • jeffl

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53219331

So looks like you’ll soon be able to rent an e-scooter. So now as well as competing with e-bikes on the human powered commute I’ll have to take on scooters 😉

I’m wondering why they won’t be legal to use if privately owned. Is it just a scheme to get companies to pay out for the licences, I’d assume they’d have to have a level of insurance/liability cover in place.

scruff9252

That strikes me as a good move and hopefully private e-sccoters will follow on shortly – a pair of e-sccoters would be just the ticket for keeping on the boat as folding bikes are just that bit too big and clumsy getting in & out of cockpit lockers.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

How far can you go on an e-scooter?

Far enough to test your eyesight?

Or are they a bit more local routes for local people?

trumpton
    Free Member

I think private scooters have a higher top speed than the 13mph imposed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Brilliant, I’d love one, though I have absolutely no need for one! miles from work, pretty much all on shared path, very little roads, bike storage and showers not a problem, so really no need.

If I lived in a suburb, and worked in the city centre, I’d be right into it.

Anything that gets single person cars off the road is a good thing.

martymac

I guess if they’re hired they won’t be chipped?
    That would be a reason to only allow hire ones.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

If I lived in a suburb, and worked in the city centre, I’d be right into it.

Anything that gets single person cars off the road is a good thing.

Someone should invent a two-wheeled vehicle that one might pedal, with a human ‘motor’! Would also keep people healthier.

Bregante

At a guess a rental scooter will require some form of insurance.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Someone should invent a two-wheeled vehicle that one might pedal, with a human ‘motor’! Would also keep people healthier.

From the point of view of someone with no shower facilities, no bike storage, and/or they don’t want to cycle for whatever reason, was my point.

scuttler

“Scooter boys”

Ogmios’ll tell you all about that.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

if it was going to happen where I live it’d be small wheels+rubbish roads=carnage

Cougar

FFS.

I’ve seen a few of these now, they’re invariably ridden with the same ability and road sense as the unlicensed ratty motorbikes you see pouring out of sink estates.

Northwind

Ah that’s my old friend Coolgirl from SV650.org getting stuck in about the hazards to the blind! Internet cultists assemble

footflaps

Before lockdown used to see quite a few in Cambridge, used to commute into town / to the Railway Station etc. Mainly from residential areas, so probably only 1-5 km route range.

kerley
    Free Member

From the point of view of someone with no shower facilities, no bike storage, and/or they don’t want to cycle for whatever reason, was my point.

Yep. I love cycling but if I had a 2 or 3 mile commute I would use an electric scooter.

TiRed

Rental carries with it insurance. Private scooters have no cover and an owner can’t acquire it (not so for cycling where third party comes with BC/CTC/home). That’s Going to be a big difference when lemming phone watchers step in front of you and the law is involved.

footflaps

Yep. I love cycling but if I had a 2 or 3 mile commute I would use an electric scooter.

I’ve been commuting 3 miles each way for 20 years without needing a shower, just set off in shorts and T shirt all year round. It’s not long enough to build up a sweat (for me).

onehundredthidiot

Is it going to be long term hire though? Problem with Boris bikes et al was the commute out of the main centre. If the whole point is to lessen reliance on public transport they have to be available close to or from home cutting out the train/bus in. Of course they could go from park and rides.

tthew

Personally I think they will flop like dockless bikes, and for similar reasons.

There will be so many of them strewn around they will be a PITA, and if there’s not enough for that then they won’t be common enough to be reliably available.
    Loads of accidents, either with cars or potholes
    Finally they will get destroyed by bellends, until said bellends find a way to nick them, then they’ll be stolen THEN destroyed.

ayjaydoubleyou

FFS.

I’ve seen a few of these now, they’re invariably ridden with the same ability and road sense as the unlicensed ratty motorbikes you see pouring out of sink estates.

Given their currently illegal status I’d expect nothing less. Hopefully thier legitimisation will get more sensible people onto them.

I work in an office that has a shower and I can put my bike inside in an unused room. This is definitely not the norm, especially in cities where space is tight.
    I will stand by my claim that no bike can be both fun to ride and safe to lock up outside in a town/city all day.

reluctantjumper

you wouldn’t know they were illegal in Cardiff, loads of people of all walks of life whizzing around on them already. Every model too, form the standard one with an unsteady office worker on it to the the local scrotes on full suss chipped versions weaving in and out of traffic while texting their mates. Local drug dealers are using them too!

slowoldman

They might take some of the heat that cyclists currently get.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

When they become legal for personal e-scooters, they could really take off in Southampton if the new bus/cycle lanes are still in place, especially for commuters from the east side of the city that don’t fancy cycling up a ~0.5 mile ~5% gradient incline.

Flaperon

Rental scooters work, in general, absolutely fine in big cities in the USA. I’ve got accounts with all three big providers and use them from time to time (or I did, anyway…)

People aren’t mown down by bikes on a daily basis and I imagine the same will apply to this. There will be unfortunate accidents. There will be people riding them like idiots. But long term they are needed and every one-person car journey saved is a bonus.

Two points:-

1. They’re not actually as easy to ride as they look, and I’d really recommend wearing a helmet for your first couple of rides.

2. I’ve already invented Scooter Jousting. You need two parasol umbrellas, beer, and no police. Have fun.

tthew

2. I’ve already invented Scooter Jousting. You need two parasol umbrellas, beer, and no police. Have fun.

Now, if one of the Dragons don’t invest in that I bloody will!

tjagain

I will stand by my claim that no bike can be both fun to ride and safe to lock up outside in a town/city all day.

I have managed this for decades

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ditto (maybe not the decades bit) along with tens/hundreds of thousands of others.

Also a 5 mile commute doesnt need a shower for me, even if changing into a suit (even 17 miles when I was younger, but not wearing a suit).

I’m wary of what sort of folk will use scooters (moreso private ones)
    – ie their road sense.

“Riders will need a full or provisional car, motorcycle or moped licence to use the vehicles, and they must be aged 16 or over. “

Presumably, if you ride like a dick, there is a remote chance you may get points on your license.

hols2
    Free Member

I’m wondering why they won’t be legal to use if privately owned.

If you read the BBC article, this bit holds a clue.

The DfT said in a statement that the regulations only cover rental schemes “to avoid a flood of poor-quality scooters onto the streets”.

kerley
    Free Member

I’ve been commuting 3 miles each way for 20 years without needing a shower, just set off in shorts and T shirt all year round. It’s not long enough to build up a sweat (for me).

That wasn’t the reason I would use one. Cycling 3 miles is pointless from an exercise point of view and I only really enjoy cycling properly, i.e. longer and faster. An E-scooter is easier to put under desk and much more fun that walking but almost as quick as driving (for just 3 miles)

euain

Bring them on. They’re not going to stop the committed cycle commuter from cycling. If they do take any of the drivers out of their cars and onto something smaller, I’m all for it. Some people might even enjoy their commute – it’s all good.

I’d rather have to contend with a dozy, blind commuter on a scooter than the same commuter in a car.

ayjaydoubleyou

That wasn’t the reason I would use one. Cycling 3 miles is pointless from an exercise point of view and I only really enjoy cycling properly, i.e. longer and faster. An E-scooter is easier to put under desk and much more fun that walking but almost as quick as driving (for just 3 miles)

Previous job I cycled 2.5 very flat miles in my work clothes on a ratty carrera singlespeed that got locked outside next to other bikes whose owners cared nothing about throwing and banging bikes together. Every Tuesday, I rode it home, changed into proper cycling attire, and rode my nice (cotic, XT, off road tyres) bike back into town (0.5 miles from the office) to join a group ride.

Have you never had one stolen, or damaged either deliberately or accidently? Edinburgh must be a nice city.

Flaperon

People thinking of using rental ones for commutes more than a mile or two might be unpleasantly surprised by the rental costs. For journeys of under a mile they’re relatively cheap but for more than that it’d probably be cheaper to take an Uber. Or buy your own and paint it like a rental one.

It’s very much a “last mile” tool, but if you get off the train and don’t want to walk it’s ideal.

kerley
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use a rental one. Would only use if I had my own. If they only do 13mph then slower than a bike so no more dangerous so not really sure why anyone would be bothered. More forward thinking oountries seem to have welcomed them as a good alternative to cars and buses for short commutes.

CraigW
    Free Member

3 miles is easy on a decent kick scooter, no need for a motor. And still a lot quicker and more fun than walking.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Rental e-scooters to be made legal on UK roads from Saturday’ is closed to new replies.