Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Renault turbo problem. Your thoughts and ridicule welcome
  • ampthill

I own an 05 Scenic with about 80,000 miles on the clock. Its the 1.9 TDI

Firstly the ERV went and was replaced in january.

Some times afterwards we started getting limp home mode and the error message “check injection”. This was after prolonged idle, But it cleared om a restart and we thought nothing of it.

But eventually it went to a garage and they have diagnosed this fault.

The waste gate is seizing causing huge over boost. They got 2.5 bars revved not that hard. Thats at least a bar over whats intended. Its also over pressure at idle which they say is causing the warning light

A new turbo is about £400 and Renault told the garage to do change boost sensor (£150 and £96)

With oil change labour and vat we are looking at over £1200

Firstly could the problem be related to the changing of the EGR?

I think my options are

pay the bill and hope that the engine holds together. Its surely being wearing out fast with the extra boost. They say the inter cooler is looking a bit weepy for example

Get them to try and free the waste gate best they can and drive it until it goes bang

Look for other quotes

by an engine from a scraped car

Put this car on ebay and start again.

This summer needs a car which will take 5 and camping gear

molgrips
    Free Member

If it’s ridicule you’re after, I have some. Why’d you buy a Renault?

Re the turbo – unseizing a wastegate is probably doable yourself, if you are mechanically inclined, I’d say. I’ve had turbos apart, they are very simple inside, they need to be do deal with all the heat and smoke.

Probably not due to EGR changing imo.

Its surely being wearing out fast with the extra boost.

I wouldn’t have said so. What do you think would ‘wear’ out in the engine? The pressure inside the engine when the diesel explodes dwarfs any air blown into the turbo. Over-boosting at full throttle will cause higher exhaust gast temperatures, but if you aren’t flogging it you’ll probably be ok.

You may be able to get an indie to service the turbo. Actually, come to think of it there are mail order turbo servicing places, whip yours off, stick it in the post and put it back on again. It’s not hard, as long as you can access it and don’t have to remove the engine or anything.

NB I am not a mechanic.

PePPeR

If you’re local to Coventry get it to Carwoods, best people do fuel injection anywhere in the Midlands.
    They’ve saved me a fortune in diagnosing problems correctly in the first place.

unovolo
    Free Member

You could buy another Scenic for less money than the repair costs.
    Just had a quick look on ebay and plenty for less than a grand that are similar to what you have listed about yours.

If the Turbos OK and just the wastegate is seized why do they want to replace the turbo and not the wastegate which is a £40 part?
    Wastegate Linky

PePPeR

I had similar on a Ford Transit, I’d been quoted £1800 from an independent but they ended up un seizing my wastegate and the bill was £275 including some other work.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s the wastegate actuator. That may have failed (or if it’s vacuum operated, a hose fallen off or split), or it might be stuck internally. Tbh, if it’s anything like the turbo I took apart (with a simple wastegate) getting actually stuck isn’t really possible unless it’s massively coked up.

It might be worth £20 on some engine cleaner from Halfords, the stuff you spray into the air intake (post filter). But first thing, check the vacuum hoses going to the thing that looks like the picture in that link.

ampthill

I think the guy in the garage applied vacuum to the actuator and got some but not much movement. He has the brains to have checked pipes

He can’t move the waste gate by pulling it

I think that getting him to try and unstick it on Monday. If he can’t I’ll see if it can go to some one who can

I should that I started this thread as I could replace the car for the same money as the turbo replacement

lerk
    Free Member

There will be people out there asking how to stop the warning light now they’ve raised boost pressure…

As others have said – overboost means the turbo itself is fine and you’ll be looking at a cheap fix!

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Get it gone.
    Not worth the repair bill.

zoo200
    Free Member

Check injection light a faulty sensor my megane (same engine) has this I’ve had the turbo and waste gate out on mine and cleaned the egr valve today only to find a split in the hose after the mass airflow meter (MAF) which is causing my over boost over fuelling issues. Gaffer tape sorted mine and I cleared the codes. £1200 is a silly amount of money for this work I swapped an engine yesterday for £1100 fitted yesterday with new turbo and belts

Get another quote.

zoo200
    Free Member

Ps renault are not as bad as people think, just service your bloody cars people…

mogrim

The turbo on my Scenic blew up last year (conveniently while I was on holiday 🙄 ) – cost a lot less than that to fix it (replaced with a reconditioned turbo), even accounting for possible price differences between the UK and Spain.

Get another quote

+1

molgrips
    Free Member

He can’t move the waste gate by pulling it

WD40 then some engine cleaner…

ampthill

The car is regularly serviced. Thanks for all the advice.

ampthill

He has tried spray and pulling with turbo in place

Monday he’ll find out how easy it is to get into the waste gate. If he thinks he can do it he’ll get the turbo off and free it up.

people carriers are clearly a rubbish shape for servicing. But I knew that

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Renault turbo problem. Your thoughts and ridicule welcome’ is closed to new replies.