Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Renault punishement
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

2year suspended ban

That's pretty much a let off then

clubber
    Free Member

No way! That is seriously lenient!

I guess that they took the view that it was a plot between three people (Biratore, Symmonds and Nelsinho) rather than say in the McLaren case where lots of people were involved but even so… Effectively it says that you can cheat so long as you keep only a small number of people involved (or at least have 'plausible deniability').

Should at least have been a hefty fine but my cynical hat says that they were worried about Renault quitting and didn't want to give an excuse…

glenp
    Free Member

They have also excluded Flav for ever – no participation in any FIA event, no entry to any FIA event, not even any driver allowed to be managed by him.

Alonso fully exonerated. Hmm. He's obviously quite a politically powerful fellow. Cynics will take that as proof that he is on the way to Ferrari.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uplink
    Free Member

Briatore's been [effectively] banned from managing any drivers too

Piquet, Webber, Kovalainen …

can't think who else he 'looks after' in F1

clubber
    Free Member

Wonder whether Flav will be banned from QPR then because the FA have a clause banning people from management/ownership if banned from another recognised sport (of which Motorsport is one).

Still I guess he'll just have to console himself on his yacht with a bevvy of beauties to wipe away his tears 😉

freeform5spot
    Free Member

what about piquet jnr?

glenp
    Free Member

Piquet got immunity for blowing the whistle.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

..but I can't see him ever getting an F1 seat again

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I wonder what the voluntary contribution to safety from Renault was … it still looks as though they got away lightly …obviously the main plan was to stop Flav making anything out of motorsport in anyway … Nelson Piquet Jnr got away far too lightly as well … but who will hire him now (other than his Dad of course)

CMcEvoy
    Free Member

His Dad is trying to structure a buy out of the BMW team with Peter Sauber apparently…

higgo
    Free Member

..but I can't see him ever getting an F1 seat again

Not least because he's slow.

If he was seriously quick and tainted, he'd be OK.

thepurist

@CMcEvoy – BMW's been bought out by some Swiss types, so looks like Nelsinho's out on his ear anyway.

Philby

Seems like a whitewash to me – FIA are scared Renault will throw the towel in if they gave them a serious punishment.

So the next installment of F1 to keep us all interested is the long-expected driver merry-go-round – looks like there will be some top drivers without seats unless they are prepared to join the new teams for next year.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What a let off that is!

plant
    Free Member

I, as it has been proven to date, that it was just a 3 way conspiracy made during the race, then I think the findings are fair.

Renault F1 have rightly admitted that they take responsibility for their employees and took action to remove them. Renault F1 should be banned for the actions of the three BUT …. it would be a shame for Renault to be lost from the sport.

It will be interesting to see what the deal is with the safety project contributions – some would say they have already contributed Piquet Jnr, so who will be next? 😉 Seriously though, the safety project finance contribution can be seen as the hefty fine that didn't materialise.

I say, time to get on with the racing …..

leftyboy
    Free Member

whitewash!

thepurist

For all the protestors, imagine your boss & their boss meet down the pub one day and decide to embezzle some money from the company. They get found out and confess that they'd come up with this idea themselves and resign. You're then told that as it was your boss at fault, the entire department is also under suspicion so you're all going to be sacked for gross misconduct. Fair punishment? So why should the rest of the Renault team suffer because of what Flav, PK & Pat decided one Sunday morning?

uplink
    Free Member

The inconsistency of the FIA is well known & this time they have simply proved it again

McLaren got a $100m fine for being in possession of Ferrari data
    Renault get effectively nothing for nonchalantly risking the lives of many people & defrauding many others

There should have at least been a big fine & points deduction
    Renault are still benefiting from that incident

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Lucky that Renault didnt use the disc of McLaren Data (McData :-)) they had then isnt it …. otherwise this would be twice.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I wouldn't say it's quite the same situation as the McLaren spying thing, but the FIA do seem to look at the big picture in deciding these things so it's not surprising that 'justice' sometimes seems comes second to expediency.

That said, we don't really know the facts so if there's no eveidence to suggest that anyone other than Flav, Symonds and Piquet were in on it then you could say that justice has been done.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I guess my feelings are that compaired to the McLaren fine they got away lightly but at least they & their engines should stay in F1 which is a good thing, so I can live with the punishment that Renault got.

Flav? I suspect the fact it has all come out now has more to do with his role in FOTA & his aspirations to put one over on Max & Bernie than any role he had to play in it… but it seems the punishment is fair

Pat Symons; I am disappointed about his role in this, (not that I know anything about any of them other than watching it on tv for years) he always came across well & knowledgeable .. I suspect that he was probably they main architect of this so should be sanctioned. 5 Years out of F1 probably means we will not see him again, I very much doubt he has as much as a financial fallback as Flav or NPjnr so it will probably be hit hardest.

NPjnr; I cant see that he was going to make it in F1 anyway & he can run back to Dad who can afford to give him a racing team or allow him to live life as he wishes …

jahwomble
    Free Member

I thought this was going to about someone getting tw***ed for buying a Megane.

uplink
    Free Member

I don't know what the figures are [$10m?] but Renault earned a lot of money for that 10 points they manipulated
    Surely they shouldn't be allowed to keep that?

retro83
    Free Member

Exactly uplink.
    This is utter carp.

They've been allowed to directly profit from cheating.

clubber
    Free Member

Not to mention that Massa would probably have some sort of claim that he'd be world champ if they hadn't cheated…

plant
    Free Member

Uplink – do you know the financial details of the support offered for the safety projects?

Fair point Clubber but difficult to re-write history for that point. What else would then need to be considered?

clubber
    Free Member

Totally agree but Renault seem to have got off very lightly IMO though it's probably better for F1 that way but doesn't really give much of a feeling that the court is independent or in any way fair (not that there was ever much evidence that it ever was but…)

thepurist

Anyone remember what McLaren got as punishment for their FIRST WMSC hearing after they'd been caught with the Ferrari data – when they said it had just been obtained by Stepney and not used within the team? Yup, a slap on the wrist – and a suspended 2 year ban. It was when they were found to have lied to the sports highest governing body and that in fact the data had been used widely within the team that they were fined $100M – a hefty fine, but they had been told they faced complete exclusion from the 2007 and 2008 championships so it could have been pretty much the end for McLaren. So, like for like, the first punishment from the WMSC is pretty equal eh?

uplink
    Free Member

Uplink – do you know the financial details of the support offered for the safety projects?

As far as I know, it's not been released yet but it's not just the 'points bonus' that's been ill-gotten here I wouldn't mind betting [pun intended] that there are an awful lot of disgruntled sports betting punters that feel that they have been defrauded
    I wonder if Flav had a flutter 😉

The bookies may also feel like they have a case but unlike the punters, would [if required] have the resources to pursue it.

uplink
    Free Member

the first punishment from the WMSC is pretty equal eh?

I'm not sure it does
    The reason nothing much was done to McLaren [as stated] in the document was "there is insufficient evidence that this information
    was used in such a way as to interfere improperly with the FIA Formula One World
    Championship. We therefore impose no penalty."

In Renaults case there clearly is evidence & confessions

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

There appears to be a further communication from the FIA today about engines basically saying that no more engine development is allowed.

I had heard that the Merc engine was percieved to be the best & Renaults towards the back … they were hoping that they would be allowed additional development to get them back to a level playing field.
    This new press release may well mean that the Renault engine does not have as much value …. a secondary kicking maybe

thepurist

uplink – there's evidence that a couple of people were involved and those people have been given the boot, same as Stepney was. There's no evidence that the plan to fix the race went any further than these three, same as there was no evidence that the Ferrari data went any further within McLaren. If it were to turn out that there were further emails/meetings within Renault to decide when and where PK should crash and how long to fuel Alonso for, then a $100M fine won't be nearly enough for them.

uplink
    Free Member

thepurist – agree with most of that but the the line " interfere improperly with the FIA Formula One World Championship" applies to Renault in this case regardless of how many knew or were involved, at the end of the day, the race was fixed – it didn't apply to McLaren when they got a suspended.

Speshpaul

I feel they have been let off lightly, but what would be a suitable punishment?
    At the end of the day F1 is just big boys toys and its fighting to justify the huge amount of money in consumes. kicking out Renault or just giving them an excuse to walk away wouldn't do the common F1 interest any good.
    Getting rid of Flav on the other hand, well that is a result, Just Moseley to go. Shame his most likely replacement – Todd is just another Red.

Pat Symmonds was offered immunity by the FIA if he spilt the beans and didn't. Now either he has missed out or Renault have brought his silence with a very actractive golden handshake (personally i hope the latter.)

iDave
    Free Member

i thought this thread was about what it's like to own a laguna…….

grumm
    Free Member

Anyone remember what McLaren got as punishment for their FIRST WMSC hearing after they'd been caught with the Ferrari data – when they said it had just been obtained by Stepney and not used within the team? Yup, a slap on the wrist – and a suspended 2 year ban.

Yeah but using someone's data is hardly in the same league as deliberately crashing surely? No-one was going to die from using dodgily obtained data.

atlaz
    Free Member

Not least because he's slow.

If he was seriously quick and tainted, he'd be OK.

Not neccesarily. Look at Tomas Scheckter, picked up once for curb crawling (alledgedly not a LADY of the night he was picking up either) and career was over in F1.

chopperT
    Free Member

Renault gets off so they will stay in F1, mmm… surely a fitting punishment would be being forced to STAY for the next 5 years. 😆

psychle
    Free Member

class action against Renault anyone? surely if you lost money betting on this fixed race, you'd have to have a strong case of some sort??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Renault punishement’ is closed to new replies.