Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • Renault did attempt fix the Singapore GP
  • awh
    Free Member

Can you remember Massa's race @ Singapore last year?

Didn't remember that.
    Who cares that next year's racing is going to be less interesting without fuel stops when Bernie can arrange things like this to keep us all talking about F1 😀

uplink
    Free Member

Must be that technology mainly developed in that part of Germany known as 'The Thames Valley'.

Brixwoth Northants. aren't they? – formerly known as Ilmor

MrSalmon
    Free Member

What surprises me about this is not so much that they entertained the thought but that they thought it wouldn't come back on them. Involving Piquet was just asking for it to come out sooner or later, so what were they thinking?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Who cares that next year's racing is going to be less interesting without fuel stops

They are still stopping for tyres as this season – just not re-fuelling due to safety concerns.

uplink
    Free Member

At least next year there won't be any guessing who's carrying what fuel in qualli – they'll all be on empty tanks so we'll see who's outright fastest.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

At least next year there won't be any guessing who's carrying what fuel in qualli – they'll all be on empty tanks so we'll see who's outright fastest.

Very true

awh
    Free Member

They are still stopping for tyres as this season – just not re-fuelling due to safety concerns.

I'm going by Brundle's Blog. He reckons it wont be as good racing when fuel economy becomes a more important factor. I have to agree, different fuel strategies, the unpredictability of the refuelling rig, race predictions based on fuel weight corrected qualifying times, etc, all add to the excitment. Isn't a car carrying more fuel more dangereous if it crashes?

uplink
    Free Member

Isn't a car carrying more fuel more dangereous if it crashes?

I can't remember the last F1 car that 'crashed & burned' – There's been one or two flare ups in the pits though

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I did enjoy this last weekend & the fact that some were two stopping & some were on one stop, I even enjoyed the nonsense that says you have to run different tyres, it all spiced it up a bit. Not always like that though

uplink
    Free Member

I did enjoy this last weekend & the fact that some were two stopping & some were on one stop

I think the trouble with that this year is you know in advance who's doing what & when their stopping
    I preferred it before they had to declare their weights

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Even without fuel stops, different cars will have different strategies as each chassis reacts differently to every circuit and track temperature so some will still run with one stop but average slower, whereas others will run two stops for quicker lap times when they are out on track.

I still think that rain is the best bit – I think they should have rain laps on every race – just install mahoosive sprinklers all around the track and randomly switch them on at certain points of the race.

awh
    Free Member

+1 for mahoosive sprinklers!

uplink
    Free Member

Funnily enough, Ferrari already have those at its Fiorano test track

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Snow blowers too!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Funnily enough, Ferrari already have those at its Fiorano test track

Doesn't surprise me – guess they need to test in all conditions.

Snow blowers too!

Spiked tyres?….
    🙂

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

The ice racing is totally mad, that would be something to watch with F1 cars … I read somewhere that the tyres are doing up to 150mph & the car is doing 70 sideways … its where the old F1 drivers go anyway

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Can you remember Massa's race @ Singapore last year?

He was leading until baby Piquets crash
    In the panic to get in & out of the pits under the [Renault manufactured] safety car Massa left whilst still attached to his fuel hose
    it would be reasonable to expect him to have carried on & scored good points – probably won if that hadn't of happened

He would therefore have been world champ – had all other races last year still finished as they did

+1

Why havent the rest of you spotted this?

glenp
    Free Member

Def a very important feature of this story will be if Alonso can make it through without too much doo-doo sticking to him. He's still the number one driver in F1, and it would be a shame if he doesn't make into a Ferrari.

higgo
    Free Member

+1 for random sprinklers

And a big bag of ball bearings suspended over the chicanes, held together by a rope over a candle flame – will they? won't they?

Actually, I have a long-held view that F1 would be made more interesting by starting each race with the grid in reverse championship order – the quicker you are, the more you've got to overtake to get back up to the front.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Another cheating scandal and there's the Spaniard again!

"It was not mee, it was heem and heeem and heems"

A cheat for sure, and not the great champion he would like everyone to think.

oomidamon

+1 to that! The 'crash' was for Alonso's benefit but he's claiming he knew nothing about it? Lying bull-stabber.

awh
    Free Member

I can't remember, is he a racist? Or did he eventually condemn the Spanish fans blacking up?

DaveGr
    Free Member

Yes it's bad but let's put it into context

Piquet crashed his car into the wall so his team mate could win a GP.

Senna admitted crashing into Prost to win the World Championship and it was also premeditated.

Schumacher crashed into Hill to win the World Championship.

Schumacher crashed into Villeneuve in an attempt to win the World Championship but failed

1994 – Bennetton under the control of Briattore/Brawn tampered with the fuel rig to get faster pit stops resulting in a fire that burnt numerous mechanics

In all but the Piquet Jnr incident other parties were involved in the actual incident. At least Piquet had the good grace to only involve himself – yes there might have been others involved such as marshals if it went wrong but same can be said for the other "accidents".

Oh, and I thought the ban on refuelling was to do with cost cutting and not having to transport all the kit around.

glenp
    Free Member

I'd be surprised if Alonso is particularly bothered whether anyone thinks he is a great champion or not.

Fact is, he is. Before Hamilton got the best rookie drive ever (not taking anything away from him, but a unique circumstance nonetheless) Alonso was the youngest ever race winner and WDC. He got the title twice, in a Renault (FFS) against the most successful driver ever.

FA is the best driver out there, and most people who know about F1 agree. He might not be perfect, character-wise, but F1 is a dirty business.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yoda – I think the distinction is that when one driver collides with another, it is a unilateral decision made by an individual, not a pre-meditated plan by the team.

Also, I strongly believe those sort of incidents are heat of the moment decisions – just the adrenalin and a 'must win' attitude which are part and parcel of this kind of racing.

Just look at Cavendish blocking during the TdF…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

glenp- I don't understand your 'in a Renault FFS' comment. Renault swept the world before them when they were an engine supplier to Williams. The Renault team itself was previously Benneton, who were multi Champion winners with the German. Just because they can't screw road cars together for toffee, you can't compare the two.

I'd be surprised if Alonso is particularly bothered whether anyone thinks he is a great champion or not

I'm sure Alonso thinks his behaviour is all completed justified. That's half the problem. He got away with it last time, he needs slapping down.

Sonor
    Free Member

I wonder if Flav & Ecclestone will still sit together in the director's box at QPR?

Of course they will, it's business. I wonder however if Flav will fall foul of the Football league regulation stating that a Chairman of a football club has to be "fit and proper" to perform that role.

It might get that egomaniac shifted from QPR.

uplink
    Free Member

I wonder however if Flav will fall foul of the Football league regulation stating that a Chairman of a football club has to be "fit and proper" to perform that role

There's certainly talk of that
    http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5564668,00.html

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

"We don't want a fault by two people to reflect upon the whole company and the entire Formula 1 team."

But he was in charge of the ufcking team – so who would you prefer to be punished?

iDave
    Free Member

reply from bernie

'Is Flavio a good friend of yours?'

'He thinks he is………….'

glenp
    Free Member

Renault is not and has never been the top car. Bennetton had success with Schumacher and then became Renault and had success with Alonso – by a big margin the two best drivers of the era. Just look how few other wins that team has had in either guise without one of those two drivers. If the car had been dominant we would have seen multiple 1-2 finishes.

Not sure what you mean by Alonso getting away with it last time. If he was party to this thing then sure, he does deserve punishment.

nickc

FA is the best driver out there, and most people who know about F1 agree

Not at all, I think barring a few notable exceptions, F1 at the moment (and probably more so than at any point in it's history) is full of drivers that could rightly claim that given the right equipment, they could win the championship. Alonso is a good driver, but he's one out of about 10-15 or so that are equally as talented.

glenp
    Free Member

Don't think so. True there are a good number that could win in the right car. But some qualities are very rare.

Always beating your team-mate (true, the Hamilton experience clouds that one, but otherwise Alonso has never been challenged).

Dragging the car further up than it otherwise deserves.

Plus dogged determination. Ability to adapt driving style (Alonso's flair in that regard is virtually unique). Cool tactical head.

Anyway – long and short of it being that FA could walk into any F1 team (even including McLaren). Hamilton might come up to the same level in time, but I can't think of another driver in the same class (since Schumacher retired).

uplink
    Free Member

I disagree nick

out of the current bunch Alonso & Hamilton are clearly class acts, just look at how much they beat team mates by – there's not another 10 or 15 like them
    In the next tier I'd put Rosberg, Vettel & Massa

If you follow all the rumours with say Rosberg, apparently he's desperate to partner Button next year rather than take the wheel along side Hamilton because he knows he can beat Button in the same machinery

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Massa

I would have him at the same skill level as Hamilton every day.

glenp
    Free Member

Not so much Hamilton's talent as McLaren's team management to worry about. They can say what they like, but they are far too controlling to allow a straight fight.

I like Massa, but he is not in that absolute top class.

Vettel will be next big thing (well, he is already).

uplink
    Free Member

nah – Massa [along with Kimi]loses points by having a habit of losing interest mid-race if it's not going well

nickc

Off the top of my head:

Kubica last year at this point was winning the championship, car's let him down this year
    Heidfeld last GP was 25th finish in row, beating a record set by Schumacher
    Glock podium in a Toyota last year at Hungary
    Massa Should have won last year, certainly had the measure of Hamilton
    Riakonnen 2007 champion.

Then there's Vettel and Webber, Rosberg, Trulli, Sutil. put any one of those guys in the Brawn, they'd be on top.

uplink
    Free Member

put any one of those guys in the Brawn, they'd be on top.

I agree – but if they were all in Brawns?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

nah – Massa [along with Kimi]loses points by having a habit of losing interest mid-race if it's not going well

Very true – but he has a similar skill level to Hamilton. If we are going to go picking foibles, Hamilton is prone to silly mistakes too. Just look at the last lap in Monza. In the season before last he messed up a couple of races too (and so did his pit crew).

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Renault did attempt fix the Singapore GP’ is closed to new replies.