Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Renal Endoscopy. Crikey that stung!
  • Bregante

Bloody hell!

I’ve just had the misfortune of having a renal endoscopy and biopsy to try to get to the bottom of a recurring kidney infection. I’ve been increasingly nervous about the whole thing so purposely didn’t read up on it and just let things take their course.

I went in at 3pm today and was out again by 3.30pm. No sedation – no painkillers and absolutely no time to have second thoughts about what was happening.

Having a camera inserted into my bladder via the urethra is not something I wish to repeat any time soon.

Just the Mag3 Nuclear Renogram next…

qwerty
    Free Member

Having a camera inserted into my bladder via the urethra is not something I wish to repeat any time soon.

Say “cheese”

Bregante

Yes – as I left work earlier my hilarious colleagues gave me this “homemade endoscope”

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Yep been there, not pleasant is it!

qwerty
    Free Member

Taking the piss that is….

jekkyl

good god.

prettygreenparrot

A little more comfortable than the pre-endoscope days of opening you up. And probably better than not investigating at all. Still, ouch.

Wookster

I almost fainted on standing up and had a “little sit down” in the hospital foyer for about thirty minutes having left! Never ever again!!! 😐

Bregante

I almost fainted on standing up and had a “little sit down” in the hospital foyer for about thirty minutes having left!

Yep. As soon as it was over I walked out to the car in an absolute daze and had a bit of a wobble and I just couldn’t think what to do next. I may have sworn quite loudly during the procedure.

Harry_the_Spider

jekkyl

does the doctor have to grab the old chap? what do you do if it’s errr cold?

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP my thoughts are with you (ish not thinking about it too much !!)

I have no idea why they don’t give you a local anaesthetic. I’d go for a general personally ! Had a colonoscopy once and that was fine, count to 10 – out – wake up later and look at the photos

Bregante

what do you do if it’s errr cold?

Yep. I can’t imagine that even Sub zero temperatures could have made things retract any more than the thought of what was to come tbh.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have you had to pee yet? That stings a bit.

Having had mine done I was told I needed to come back a month later for them to have another look!

Bregante

I was told I needed to come back a month later for them to have another look!

😯

I honestly couldn’t contemplate that thought just now. Yes I’ve had a pee and you’re not wrong! Like passing sulphuric acid.

rOcKeTdOg

You’d love the G.U.M. clinic when they swab for bacteria

growinglad
    Free Member

Yep, been there. By Christ the few slashes after that bring tears to your eyes.

I mentioned it on another post, but my Dr (for this particular appointment) required the assistance of his receptionist who doubles up as a nurse…thank Christ I didn’t need to book another appoinment….pulled my strides up and high tailed it out of there never to come back!

I only went in for a sore finger.

Harry_the_Spider

You’d love the G.U.M. clinic when they swab for bacteria

[img]http://www.curriculumvisions.com/search/J/jousting/jousting_479749.jpg[/img]

birky
    Free Member

I had a kidney stone blasted away about 18 months ago under general anesthetic and a stent left in for 3 weeks between kidney and bladder. Couldn’t believe it when they said the stent would be removed by endoscope without anesthetic or sedative. Not a pleasant experience, though peeing after that was a doddle compared to after having the stone lasered.
    Might be about to go through it all again. CT scan last week for another suspected stone and waiting on the results.

froggy67
    Free Member

Birky,
    same here, have had 2 previous stones, CT scan last week and results due tomorrow.
    Am not looking forwards to what I think is going to happen, but will be glad to not have to keep taking pain killers almost every day.

Bregante

Good luck Birky. Mine definitely isn’t kidney stones – my scan last week came back clear but I do have an enlarged kidney on the left side (but the pain is in both sides). Next step is another scan -Mag3 Renogram which involves radioactive fluid being pumped around my system.

Tbh anything is preferable to another Endoscopy!

allan23
    Free Member

I thought the intra-vitreal Lucentis jabs were bad enough, rather have another 20 of them than go through what is described.

At least they didn’t get the type of endoscopy mixed up and try to inflate you 😯

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I had a camera down the japs eye a few years back following a bleed from there.
    All very weird. 2 old girls messing with my todger to poke it through a hole in the Blue paper roll whilst the main man looked like super mario.

Squirted some numbing gel down there first at least!

The female nurse said ” the uncomfortable part is when it passes the sphincter” like she’d know. To be fair, she wasn’t wrong.

All good in the end!!

Bregante

The gel is just an antibiotic apparently to stop any further infection spreading. Bloody freezing cold too!

My Dr was a female in her early 30’s and the nurses were three stocky women in their 50’s. I found out why they were built that way when they pinned my arms back on the bed!

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Like passing sulphuric acid.

Bloody autocorrect eh! 🙄

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

growinglad – Member
    Yep, been there. By Christ the few slashes after that bring tears to your eyes.

I mentioned it on another post, but my Dr (for this particular appointment) required the assistance of his receptionist who doubles up as a nurse…thank Christ I didn’t need to book another appoinment….pulled my strides up and high tailed it out of there never to come back!

I only went in for a sore finger

Crikey why put a sore finger in there??? Surely that’s not hygienic!!

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ve just had this done about an hour ago. They squirt local anesthetic in first which bloody stings. The actual camera bit doesn’t hurt just feels weird especially when you can see inside your own bladder in glorious hd. The first pee after was ok apart from a little knob fart 😯 but the second one was bloody agony but on a serious note please don’t let the banter put you off. If you think something is wrong go to doc’s and get it checked out cos if there is something wrong think about the alternatives to a few hours of discomfort now!!!.

jambalaya
    Free Member

little knob fart

Every day is a school day on STW

shifter
    Free Member

Little knob, fart? Or little, knob fart?

DrJ

Having had a needle stuck in my todger to deliver a local anaesthetic prior to a biopsy, I’m not sure if it would be preferable to have an endoscopy with or without. I’m hoping to not be situated to make the comparison.

jerseychaz

I’m ever so glad mine was done under a GA! I really didn’t want to know about any of it but pissing barbed wire for three days afterwards reminded me of the fun the surgeon had 😯

matt_outandabout

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Renal Endoscopy. Crikey that stung!’ is closed to new replies.