• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by pdw.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Removing tricky tyres – any tips?
  • pdw
    Free Member

I like to think that I’m pretty good with tyres and can get most on without levers but I do struggle to get some off.

I’ve got some really tight tubeless CX tyres that sit tight against the rim well once unseated. I can get two tyre levers in and lever a small section over the rim but what’s the next move? The tyre is then so tight against the rim well that I can’t get another lever under the bead to lever the next bit off.

My usual trick is to pull the lever sideways but that doesn’t work so well if there’s dried sealant gumming everything up.

mashr

fire a bit pf lube into the equation to hopefully ease things in/out?

scotroutes

Unseat the bead all the way round. If they’re very tough, try putting the wheel on the ground and standing (on your toes) on the tyre.

Once you’ve done this, feed the bead of the tyre into the well of the fim, working towards the valve. (I tend to stand with the bead at 12 o’clock to me, 6 o’clock against my stomach).

That should free up enough slack to lift the tyre out of the rim near the valve. You might need a tyre lever, often you won’t.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Speshpaul

If you are at home doing this bring the wheel in the house and leave it somewhere warm. The tyre will be more flexible.
    Likewise if putting a tyre back and it won’t seat.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Before using the levers make sure the bead is both unseated all the way round and also resting on the deeper channel at the center of the rim

pdw
    Free Member

Yes, both beads fully unseated and sat in the channel, but like I say, the beads are so tight that they’re tight sat against the deepest part of the channel. Makes inflating them a breeze, but removing them a PITA.

I’ve tried working the tyre round to create a bit more slack at one point, but they’re sufficiently gummed up and tight that it wasn’t doing anything.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I had this problem a few days ago. Took me about an hr to remove a tyre!

I found a bit of washing up liquid in the end of the lever helped it slid along the rim ..but it was still a total pain in the ass.

Mounty_73

I am glad I am not the only one. I was out yesterday and I had to remove the front CX tyre, what a pain in the arse, it took me longer to get the tyre off and even longer to put the bloody thing back on!

I have never struggled with a tyre like I did yesterday, I’m just thankful it was in the middle of nowhere in the wind, so at least no one could hear me f****** swearing!! (quite a lot).

TiRed

Topeak Shuttle levers. The long one has a fine tip to get under the bead. Still sprained a wrist removing a very tight 20” Durano wire bead from my trike two weeks ago. Tried several types of lever, but only succeeded with the Topeak.

pdw
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Will give the Topeak levers and washing up liquid a try.

I eventually got the last tyre off by grabbing the tread and working the bead over the rim a tiny it more, then forcing the tyre lever a few mm further along, then repeat.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Removing tricky tyres – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.