Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Removing Squre taper crank – help advice needed
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

I have a drive side crank stuck on. Weirdly the threaded bit you screw the adapter in to is larger than the crank extractor thread.
    I cant really get any implements in between it and the bottom bracket as there is a DMR chain guide device that is in the way. Cant use say aball jpint splitter as cant get in there
    This also prevents me applying tons of levarage with a crow bar as the guid plate is flexing not the crank.
    I dont mind destroying itto get it off but need advice on how
    Would a three legged puller work?
    Best way to hack it off?

TimothyD
    Free Member

I tried using the side of a drill bit to wear away the metal, and it worked but I knackered the drill.

I suppose if a three legged bearing puller didn't work you could try drilling lots of vertical holes around the square hole untill there was no metal left and it came off?

DezB
    Free Member

Can you do a pic? Not sure what you mean by the bit you screw the adapter into…
    Did you see how I removed my Raceface? By sawing through the axle. Didn't take long! But there is no way of getting the right force on a crank without "pulling" it off at the axle.

geoffj

Unscrew everything and ride it for a bit.

nuke

If you've removed the bolt, can't you just cycle around on it until it falls off? Thats what I use to do with stuck cranks I wasn't bothered destroying.

smiffy

3rd riding on it. Kills the crank, but what-ho.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

WD40, 3 in one, ride it with no crank bolt on until it falls off.

Or apply some judicious heat…

aternativelly just hacksaw through the spider etc. right down to the taper, inline with the axle, might be tricky if it's super close to the chain device though

Northwind

Yup, that works. Equally, you might be able to just muller it off with a rubber mallet.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no i lack a camera at present but a crank remover first screws into the crank and then you ighten nut to remove.
    this whole in pic below.

Was that the BB axle you sawed through?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

im taking one of atm using a drill bit…if u have a crank extractor tho u can screw a bolt into the bottom bracket (small bolt…maybe just place it thier i used some m6's before) and use the extractor to push against them.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i just lost my temper with mine using a rubber mallet… the crank with the bike still attached went hurtling across my garage

Junkyard
    Free Member

usatvyogurtman …Dont get what you mean as the crank extractor wont screw into crank when I turn so not sure how that helps
    EDIT: in danger of doing that so asked here.

Cant ride it as bike in bits and now just a frame with a drive side crank arm attached.

geoffj

seriously

ton

johnnie, why wont the extracter screw into the crak, are the threads nacked??

Junkyard
    Free Member

threads perfect but bigger than a standard extractor (DRIVE SIDE ONLY)
    dont know why bought the bike as is.

ton

22mm threads??

Junkyard
    Free Member

no idea just bigger but only a little bit the standard size is only just too small.
    Nice hols?

ton

very nice…ta

get the bike laid with the crank facing down.
    then 2 people with hammer and drift/long screwdriver each and tap it off gently.

Junkyard
    Free Member

tried a crowbar on my own without success

surely you know a more brutal technique that involves power tools?

ton

gentle is the way, like getting a tight pair of knickers of a lady… 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

I bow to your superior expertise on both matters 😀

mattsccm
    Free Member

you have answered your own question. Use a puller, it will just pop of and do no damage if you are even mildly careful. done it many a time when ~I was too tight to buy an extractor. Maybe remove ring bolts for more space.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

ur problem with the extractor is that it wont screw into the crank arm?

wonnyj
    Free Member

I had a new thread put on to a crank arm that was stuck. This involved getting a frame builder type bike shop to tap in a new, slightly larger than standard thread.

Might explain why your's is bigger than standard, but very weird if it's new – you didn't get it off ebay did you? A decent bike shop might be able to sort you out.

Hacksaw method is fun if the riding around boltless etc doesn't work.

TimothyD
    Free Member

High Path Engineering will have an adaptor you could use I think if it's only just a little bit bigger, if you've not already started drilling or sawing etc. They do a service where they rethread a crank with stripped threads so that it can be removed with a remover which is just a little bit bigger than normal.

Probably best to e-mail them.

http://highpath.net/index.html

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Removing Squre taper crank – help advice needed’ is closed to new replies.