Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Removing Square taper bb
  • joeydeacon
    Free Member

I’ve got the correct tool, and the non drive side came off fine, but cannot remove the drive side (am assuming this side is backwards thread).

The problem is the bb tool doesn’t fit in that far into the bb, as the teeth don’t go that deep into the bb. As a result it’s difficult to apply much pressure without twisting the tool and risking chewing up the bb and the tool.

I had heard the best way was to fit a long bolt into the bottom bracket axle, where the crank bolt normally goes, and tighten this up with a washer in place, to hold the bb tool straight, to prevent it from slipping – any idea what size bolt it should be?

From what I gather old crank bolts seem to be labelled as 8mm – can anyone confirm this, and/or ideally provide a link where I can buy something suitable (think standard crank bolts will be too short) – need to be about 40mm long minimum.

Thanks in advance

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Just take your crank bolt to B&Q or a hardware shop and find a suitable bolt. You’re right it should be longer. You may need a washer too. It’ll help if you can then clamp the tool in a vice and use the bike frame as leverage to unscrew the BB. Check the rotation direction, and then check it again… finally check it once more.

letmetalktomark

To are on the right track.

B&Q is as good a place as any to source a bolt. May need a washer too.

Once fixed in place the addition of an old handlebar, steel pipe etc over the spanner or socket set can add much needed leverage.

See here for more info:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98595&highlight=guide

Jerome
    Free Member

Used a standard c clamp before to hold the tool in place.
    Then a big lever….

zigzag69
    Free Member

Used a standard c clamp before to hold the tool in place.
    Then a big lever….

Also works for me, big lever makes all the difference (once the BB removal tool is secure)

uplink
    Free Member

Make sure you’ve cleaned all the crap out of it first as this will often stop you getting good purchase
    Get the bike upside down on the floor & stand at the other side with the BB shell pushed against your thigh
    Position the socket bar at about 2-3 o’clock

This should give you a good chance of exerting maximum pressure without the tool trying to pull itself out

oldgit
    Free Member

I was going to say the same as uplink. Clean it out and tap the remover in with a soft hammer or wood and hammer.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Cheers

Joey

orangeboy
    Free Member

my fav method is much like above a washer and a bolf from a bmx crank ( they seem to be longer) . A 32 mm socket over the bb tool and a huge ratchet to jump on add a little heat too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Removing Square taper bb’ is closed to new replies.