Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Removing RS-685 ‘easy joint’ brakes from frame with internal cable routing?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I have RS-685 brakes on my Spec Diverge and I want to move them over to a new frame, but they are internally routed on the Diverge.  They do however, have the ‘easy joint system’ and I was wondering whether it is simply a case of splitting the cable at the joint and then removing them that way.  I am trying to avoid having to bleed them.

Thanks

flap_jack
    Free Member

Watching with interest..

BTW, what you doing with the Diverge?

redstripe
    Free Member

I recently swapped a set of these from one frame to another with internal routing. Didn’t have any easy joints though so just undid the hoses at caliper ends, snipped off a bit at the end, fitted on new frame with new olives and hose inserts (a couple of quid) and then re-bled. I got a bleed kit with the funnel thing that goes on the brake shifter top off ebay. It did take a bit of time to get air out and working spot on again. It’s doable, plenty of youtube vids to show you how. Be interested to know how an ‘easy joint’ works without losing fluid and/or letting air in.

escrs
    Free Member

If i remember correctly (been a long time since i had easy joints) if you disconnect the joint you will see one side has the large connector and the other side has the smaller one with the olive and barb fitted

The olive and barb are the problem as they won fit through the frame’s internal routing system, you will have to snip them off to remove the cables from the frame

When i removed mine i just bought all new cables and got rid of the easy joint system

The easy joint system was designed to make fitting the new system easy with no mess, problem is when stripping them off the bike the olive is now attached to the hose that you need to pull back through the frame

flanagaj
    Free Member

“The easy joint system was designed to make fitting the new system easy with no mess, problem is when stripping them off the bike the olive is now attached to the hose that you need to pull back through the frame”

I thought that might be the case.  Thanks

spxxky
    Free Member

If you’re removing the easy joints I’d be interested in buying them

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Removing RS-685 ‘easy joint’ brakes from frame with internal cable routing?’ is closed to new replies.