Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • removing paint from plastic
  • Olly
    Free Member

Morning all! Project van is plodding away. The previous owner thought it was a bright idea to take the letters “sport” out of the word “transporter” and rattle can them red. It wasn’t, it looks arse.

Any suggestions for taking red rattle can off chrome effect plastic which don’t involve a few hours and a picky thing? Im guessing anything chemical will eat the plastic as quickly as the paint?

andyl
    Free Member

try scraping with your finger nail first as it is probably not bonded well.

If the person abraded the surface to get it to key then the finish underneath will be knackered anyway.

Try taking quick gentle wipes with some acetone (nail varnish remover is normally a common source) on a white rag. Don’t let it sit for any length of time and allow each wipe to fully evaporate.

Look on ebay for a replacement badge just in case or buy a can of chrome plastikote to re-paint.

Olly
    Free Member

might be a case of dremel sanding them down and the plastikote option. Cheers for the thoughts

goon
    Free Member

Have a look around on some plastic model sites (eg, http://www.britmodeller.com) as I know a lot of people strip old kits with various substances such as oven cleaners, Fairy Power Spray, Mr. Muscle, etc. You just coat the parts and leave in a bin bag over night apparently. I think some substances will also remove the chrome though, so worth reading around a little.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

remove and brake fluid?

bigyim
    Free Member

Thinners. Dab a bit on a rag and don’t let it soak into the letters. Just do one at a time and try to use a fast thinner. If you’re close to dudley I have some stuff you can use

oldboy
    Free Member

I picked this up on a USA forum. Factor 15 sun lotion (don’t think the number actually matters!), it worked for me in removing a logo on a mobile phone without any damage to the plastic.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Best bet is eBay for replacement transporter badge 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘removing paint from plastic’ is closed to new replies.