Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • removing Norton from a vista machine……should I just buy a new computer?
  • dogbert
    Free Member

honestly, are there not some legalities around putting software on computers that you can never get rid of?

Sitting at my dads trying in vain to get rid of Norton antivirius and all it’s bloatware only to be told that “as administrator you don’t have permissions to remove these files”……WTF????

ANyone got any tricks short of wiping the hard drive?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Safe mode? Although I think Norton do a removal tool that should get rid of everything…

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

beej

Yeah, you need to use the removal tool.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dogbert
    Free Member

now, if i download this “removal tool” will it actually work, as i am thinking of booking a flight to Symantec at the moment to wail on someone

duntstick
    Free Member

I’ve used it and it definitely works.

footflaps

Removal tool works fine – even removed Corporate locked down versions 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

dogbert
    Free Member

so far Stoner has had the best idea……i’ll try the tool…….prepare for lots of C words

rs
    Free Member

Cake

thomthumb
    Free Member

is there a higher level than admin?

i seem to remember something about this…

dogbert
    Free Member

well it worked…..and weirdly two minutes after I removed it my mothers phone rang and it was an asian callcenter (i presume, everyone I spoke to was called Richard and spoke with a heavy indian accent) telling me that my computer was full of viruses and they could help.

I ask: “that’s interesting, what OS am I running”

Them: “I am phoning from Windows”

Me: “Ok, now I don’t know much about computers, can you tell me which company you’re calling from?”

Them: “yes sir, Windows”

Me: “The software, wow”

Them: “that is correct, we can help”

Me: “Jolly good, I suggest you get yourself some protection you scamming peice of &^$(, I will come to where you are, find you, and only you, and check you for virsuses” I then ranted on for a couple of seconds using swear words that will mean the recording will never get used for training purposes.

Coincedence or scammer? Just seems weird that they phone within a couple of moments after removing software. Stern words with parents now regarding putting their phone number into registration forms

SST
    Free Member

surely not a coincidence?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Coincedence or scammer

Both. I’ve had a few of these calls and our customers have had them a lot as well. One or two have gone so far as install what ever they asked them to then have hung up. We’ve never found any malware installed though.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Its quicker to backup the files and docs you need and whatever internet bookmarks/emails. Then just do a clean format and re-install.
    Although I´d suggest getting as far away as possible from vista, either upgrade or downgrade.

grantway
    Free Member

Norton is a Virus within it self
    What gets me is that after mine reached the end of contract I removed it
    and then after a year with another antivirus provider I bought another
    Norton and could not believe the warm welcome when I put the disc in.
    The Norton disc knew exactly who I was even though i did not enter any info.

footflaps

Just use Windows Security Essentials – free and pretty grief free unlike Norton which is worse than getting a virus…

Cougar

Coincedence or scammer?

Both. It’s very common at the moment.

+1 for Microsoft Security Essentials.

takisawa2

IT chap at work reckons Avast is good & free. I ditched Virgin Media’s program as it was slowing the pc down a lot.

footflaps

or just buy a Mac and don’t bother with anti-virus…..

Cougar

IT chap at work reckons Avast is good & free.

It is. But MSE is better.

or just buy a Mac and don’t bother with anti-virus…..

Wow, thanks for that blindingly insightful post, I can’t believe no-one’s ever mentioned it before!

spacemonkey

Although I´d suggest getting as far away as possible from vista, either upgrade or downgrade.

3-4 yrs ago, maybe. But I don’t FTLOM know why people keep bleating about Vista issues. IME had very few issues in 2-3 yrs of 64bit pre-W7 chilldom.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘removing Norton from a vista machine……should I just buy a new computer?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts