Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Removing middle chainring
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

A guy in work needs to replace the middle chainring on his deore chainset. Now I’ve taken him through all the steps of removing the chainring bolts and out and middle ring etc but my mind has gone a blank on whether he can remove the middle ring with the chainset in situ. I’m sure he can but I can’t picture in my mind me having done so.

He’s a bit of a cack handed type so anything that can go wrong will.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

if you remove the granny ring bolts and the outer ring completely you can just about get the middle ring off.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why does removing the granny ring bolts help? I think I’ll need to go to the bike shed for a look at my bike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

it’s usually possible by removing at the other rings, BUT by the time you messed around doing this, taking the drive arm off would have been quicker and easier IMO.

removing the granny ring allow you to twist the middle ring into a position that allows you to remove it…

mudshark
    Free Member

I always take everything relevant apart to make life easier and give it all a good clean at the same time.

Gary_M
    Free Member

BUT by the time you messed around doing this, taking the drive arm off would have been quicker and easier

Believe me that would not be the case with this guy, it took him 2 months to replace his jockey wheels as he took both off at the same time and couldn’t figure out how to put things back together. Just been out to show him my chainset but didn’t really help as I only have 2 rings.

I normally just take the chainset off to replace rings as it’s so easy to do and I can give things a good clean. However the thought of this guy removing a chainset worries me.

julianwilson
    Free Member

it’s to do with getting the middle ring ‘around’ the crank arm: i seem to remember having to have my granny ring off and rattling around the BB in order to be able to able to angle the middle ring around the arm: this was on fairly ‘flabby’ octalink cranks though so may be easier on slimmer ones. Still easier and less ‘tool-ey’ for the total novice than having the whole crank off though.

…i hope your mate has hex-key chainring bolts to do back up again. 🙂

takisawa2

No. Its too fidly. Taking out a HT only takes a minute anyway.
    You dont need to remove the granny if you have the crank out.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You’re not listening, the guy is mechanically incompetent and has zero common sense. Last time I taught him how do to something, and lent him my tools, he broke both my chain tool and chainwhip. He won’t be able to take a chainset off – no way. I told him to bring the bike in but he says he can’t ride it as it keeps sucking up in the middle ring.

thomthumb
    Free Member

tell him to ride it in another ring!

or go to a bike shop.

soobalias
    Free Member

you want advice or an argument?

either do it for him if he is a mate, or tell him its difficult and you need special tools so take it to the bike shop.

what are they gonna charge? £10+parts?

nickc

You can’t do it anyway. soobalias has it. If this chap is has incompetent as you say, then the best advice you can give him is take it to some-one who can do it for him.

Gary_M
    Free Member

soobalias what do you mean by that – you seem to confuse argument with discussion.

Anyway he’s got no money to take it to the bike shop (long story but he has a gambling addiction and his wife won’t give him any money), he uses it for commuting and I have said why do you even use the middle ring but he’s fat and unfit. And I explained above that I would do it but he can’t get his bike to me and wants to do the job tonight and I ain’t riding 7 miles to his then 27 miles home. And I stop for a weeks holiday today anyway.

D0NK

depends on ur pedals, if they are spds u can wiggle it off, flatties no chance. course you can take off the pedals too but if your going that far you can whip off the crank instead.

And an inept mechanic will struggle with drive side pedals anyway.

(trying desperatley to remember if it IS the driveside pedal that has LH thread)

Gary_M
    Free Member

His pedals will be fine D0NK, it’s really that crank arm spider that’ll be the issue.

soobalias
    Free Member

so you are not going to do it.

that narrows down his options as i see it.
    1. he asks his missus to pay the bike shop to do it
    2. he asks his missus to pop down halfords and get him a crank extractor
    3. leave it as it is.

Gary_M
    Free Member

So soobalias you’re saying that the middle chainring will not come off with the cranks on the bike.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

so its really you ???

mike_check
    Free Member

I don’t think the crank spider will be a problem, once the bolts are removed, rotate the chainring so the tabs on the ring are clear of the tabs on the spider and then manouvre it off?

I haven’t played with chainrings/spiders for a while tho cos I run bmx cranks and single ring but had a quick look at a pic and reckon it could be done, though I may be wrong.

Gary_M
    Free Member

so its really you ??? No.

Anyway he’s going to give me a call tonight to let me know how he gets on.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Removing middle chainring’ is closed to new replies.