Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Removing metal shavings from fork leg
  • gribble
    Free Member

Fitting a new fork and some metal shavings (where the steerer tube was cut) have found their way onto the seals (coated with grease, so now sitting on top round the seals).

What is the best way to get this out – flush with WD40, Juice Lube fork spray, hot soapy water?

Seems pedantic but don’t want to get them all stuck in the seals on the first use…

nwmlarge
    Free Member

magnet

Andy-R

Just wipe them off with a rag? Then compress the forks a few times and wipe the stanchions again. I wouldn’t worry about it any more than that tbh.

bungalistic
    Free Member

This happened to mine, I just careful removed them with a wet cloth and some fork lubricant spray (compress forks and wipe, like Andy R says). Never had any issues. Next time I cut down a steerer i’ll cut it with the fork inverted so any shavings fall away from the fork.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Drop the lowers.Being a new fork they’ll be factory lubed aka dry as a bone.So 2 birds with one stone.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    Drop the lowers.

Don’t take him literally, remove the lower in the correct way, clean up, lube up as required and re-fit

Rorschach
    Free Member

No….throw them out of an upstairs window onto a hard surface 😉
    Also throw stones at a couple of baby Robins.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks all. I have the technical ability of a fish, so not confident in dropping the lowers. I might youtube it but never have done it and the forks are brand new, so I am a bit nervous.

I will try and wet rag carefully and lube. Thanks for the advice all.

Andy-R

It’s only a bit of aluminium dust – they’ll soon be covered in worse than that. Don’t get that bothered about it, the wiper seals will do what they do and wipe it off.

philjunior
    Free Member

I thought you had the forks open when I first read that.

As others have said, oily rag/bounce up and down a bit, but don’t worry too much it’s quite soft and also shouldn’t manage to penetrate the seals.

BearBack
    Free Member

Wipe away gently.
    No wd40 or gt85 near your forks, ever.

gribble
    Free Member

thanks all.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’d just clean them off with a tooth brush… Don’t use your own maybe your Mrs 🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

Airline or some 9ther compressed gas to blow away any dwarf. Then rag and club.

You could also up the air pressure to see if you can raise them a few
    More mm out of the seals.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Removing metal shavings from fork leg’ is closed to new replies.