Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Removing masking tape from window glass: Any tips?
  • clodhopper
    Free Member

A friend very kindly offered to help with our decorating recently, and against all advice, used some cheap masking tape on the windows instead of Frogtape. The painting got delayed, and the tape has left a seemingly impossible to shift residue on the glass. We’ve tried; white spirit, vinegar, acetone, lighter fuel, hot soapy water, cooking oil and oven cleaner. Only the last has been in any way effective. But it is nasty stuff and we’re worried about it damaging the paintwork, let alone not wanting to breathe in the fumes.

Any tips on how to shift the bloody stuff, other than having all the glass replaced?

Thanks.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Razor blade, use it like a wallpaper scraper.

bearnecessities

Stanley blade?

tymbian
    Free Member

Try This
    You could also try a small area with wd40.

perchypanther
    Free Member

From Lakeland, the kitchen shop.

Daffy

3m Adhesive Remover is phenomenal stuff. It’ll even remove the crap they use to attach lead weights to car wheels. It’s the same stuff people use to remove residue from vinyl wrap when removing it from a car.

stevied
    Free Member

As above, Stanley blade in one of these:

clodhopper
    Free Member

Was hoping to avoid using a blade, as previous attempts left scratches on the glass. I think it’s got some sort of coating on it. Forgot to mention WD40; that didn’t work either.

Anyone tried the above suggestions and had success? I’m thinking that the amount of stuff I’ve tried, there’s probably a limited range of basic chemicals which will work. God knows what was used for the adhesive of this tape. Horrible stuff.

captaintomo
    Free Member

Window scraper bladeis easy to scratch glass if youre not careful. Remembe to use plenty of water to glide easily.

But this is honestly what you need. Itll have it off in seconds.

[/url]

Sorry on ipad so struggling to post the url but check it out. I guarantee that chemical will work.

spooky_b329

Try PF solvent (expensive in a bottle but you can get it as little wipes) Wipe on, wipe off, let soak for a minute if still stubborn.

It will effortlessly remove what Isopropanol and other cleaners won’t touch. It took a few goes but it even removed the residue left by the stickers on my Halfords tool chest, it was just a gooey mess after I tried other cleaners!

johndoh
    Free Member

I used one of those scrapers stevied recommended very recently and it worked perfectly. I just took it steady at first to ensure I wasn’t scratching anything but it was fine.

Cougar

Those scrapers are for halogen hobs, which are glass, so should be fine so long as you take your time.

I’d be trying IPA (isopropyl alcohol, not the beer), or failing that Zoff (used for removing sticking plaster residue, amazing stuff).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Those scrapers are for halogen hobs,

odd that the scraper was around before halogen hobs were even a thing.

odd way to go about things but they work for both esp if your wife has let tablet boil over onto the glass hob….

pictonroad

I used thinners on masking tape residue, did the job. I sympathise, it’s horrible tenacious stuff.

DrJ

I used the stuff perchy recommended in conjunction with a scraper and it sort of worked.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Meths. I haven’t tried Meths yet.

maccruiskeen

Meths. I haven’t tried Meths yet.

Just drink it and forget about all your troubles

clodhopper
    Free Member

Trust me, that’s an option. Bloody bastard stuff. The IPA might be a safer bet though (the beer, not the other stuff).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I bought a tin of Multi Solv a while back and it’s got me out of a few similar holes.

Katie taught me about this stuff. Most glues are alcohol soluble – Acetone should have worked best but you might need a different sort of alcohol – try meths next.

Glues aren’t usually oil based (which is your white spirit).

CountZero

Katie taught me about this stuff. Most glues are alcohol soluble – Acetone should have worked best but you might need a different sort of alcohol – try meths next.

Glues aren’t usually oil based (which is your white spirit).
    There are plenty of adhesives used on tape and labels which isopropanol and meths will do little more than soften and smear.
    There are some adhesives I’ve only been able to shift with Hard Ink Remover, used for what it says on the tin, on big printing presses. It’s pretty much MEK, methylethylketone. Evaporates like a bastard, though, I’ve poured it onto a rag and had it go solid with ice!
    Duct tape residue can be tricky to get off, for example.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Retape and artfully place a few rashion books and gas mask cases.

WW2 chic.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I would have suggested same, blade and a solvent however OP you suggested the glass may have some kind of film/treatment on it so that makes it very hard to know what to propose

nickjb
    Free Member

I know you mention trying it but hot water and a scourer has worked well for me with really tough residue. You need to fill the sponge then hold the sponge side on the tape for a little while to let it heat up and soak in, then flip it over and give it a scour.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The one other trick that sometimes works is blutack – takes some glues off without smearing win alcohol makes a mess. Baked on tape glue probably not.

tonyplym
    Free Member

If the window frames are plastic be careful if you’re thinking about using MEK – it dissolves some plastics.

clodhopper
    Free Member

Meths! Good old purple Meths! It’s worked a treat. On the residue, I mean. The IPA worked well too, on me. 🙂

“If the window frames are plastic”

How dare you! They are bespoke hardwood thank you very much! 😡 Plastic indeed…

Thanks for all your suggestions folks. Glad it’s finally sorted.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Removing masking tape from window glass: Any tips?’ is closed to new replies.