Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Removing headset cups…where/how do I clamp the frame?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Ok, so I’ve got one of those splayed headset remover tools and have removed headset cups before but where should I be clamping or holding the frame?

I’m always worried that bashing out the headset cup is going to put stress on the headtube/down tube/top tube joint. Especially for carbon.

Any thoughts?

scotroutes

Hold the headtube between your knees

Edric64
    Free Member

A
    As above just hold the frame and tap it out it wont be that tight

garage-dweller

I clamp mine by the seatpin in a work stand. The bike will (imo) rotate before harm comes to it that way. Only experience is steel and alloy.

I find a carefully wielded lump hammer (2kg) is the correct driving device. One sharp tap is all it takes remembering to recoil the hammer not follow through onto the head tube!!

This advice may not be carbon safe or in fact safe at all but has worked for me.

oldnick

I use my knees, and a dead blow hammer.

eskay

Just replaced one this afternoon. As Mr Dweller said, clamp it in a workstand. A swift blow with a hammer using a suitable drift works well. The stand rotates and damps some of the strike but you should get it moving.

I had to carefully grind the fork crown race cup off with a dremmel as I could not shift it. As I got close to the fork tube the race split and came off easily.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, confirms the sort of methods I’ve used before….thinking back I had carbon handlebars dangling from the brake hoses and gear cables before now, unfortunately directly below the headtube, as the remover whizzed its way through removing the headset and a chunk out of the bars 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Removing headset cups…where/how do I clamp the frame?’ is closed to new replies.