Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Removing fork lockout – am I mad?
  • plyphon
    Free Member

I hate bar clutter and never “seriously” use the lockout on my Revs. It’s always a novelty “oh hey i can make these stiffer then pretend its making me faster up this steep bridleway” kind of affair.

forks are Revs RLT, and its the type of remote that only has ON and OFF settings, rather than the one where you can set it anywhere in between.

Am I bonkers? Having all that lockout and floodgate related hardware and rendering it useless because I don’t like bar clutter and cables?

parkesie
    Free Member

Done the same with my rebas never used it the whole time it was fitted.

Northwind

I never use any of mine. I use the shock sometimes but not the fork. (I’ve removed the hardware from inside my Lyriks!)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

This keeps coming up. As I said before, I use lockout because I am sure it makes me a little faster.

Reasoning:

The bicycle is a device to allow the vertical application of force against it’s pedals to translate into forward momentum for the rider and bicycle. The purpose of a spring and damper assembly in a fork is to absorb vertical forces and effectively waste them using the damper.

Hence bobbing up and down when pedalling translates into wasted possible forward momentum.

There does exist a crossover where rough terrain impedes forward travel due to deflections or bike and wheels, and therefore there comes a point where having lockout OFF allows better progress. You have to judge where that crossover is as you ride.

My 2 pence.

EDIT: I am sure it makes more difference when standing.

soobalias
    Free Member

never used it
    never even fitted the remote to my revs, at the last service i treated myself to replacing the gubbins on the fork top too.
    dont see any real world benefit, all of my mates who have remote lockout are so far behind me on the hills…… thinking about suspension and lockout rather than pedalling?

learn to ride smoothly and embrace the suspension – you paid a lot for it after all

if you want a rigid fork, buy one, its cheaper, lighter, stiffer.

LoCo
    Free Member

The cable lockouts are a bit of pain as they need to be kept clean/change of cable & outer, tightening of spring.
    Depending on year of fork you can either change the top caps to crown adjust or on later DNA MoCos you have to replace the damper.

spooky_b329

I’ve kept the plastic poplock that came with my Reba’s as the bike is a singlespeed and it does get used sometimes.

The metal pushlock on my Revs has been consigned to the parts box as it never gets used, and looks like it could make a mess of my knee/chest etc if I hit the bars. I did the little mod where you unhook the return spring inside the forks, then just rolled an O ring onto the cable groove on the cap and just turn it manually on the odd occasion I’m on tarmac and fighting a head wind. And the floodgate still works if I want to pretend I’m an XC whippet and leave the forks locked.

plyphon
    Free Member

Ah Spooky, now thats an idea.

I might do that next time I do a service.

LoCo
    Free Member

The other option is to put a cap head bolt into the hole for the grub that clamps the cable as a way to turn the knob.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

plyphon – Member
    I hate bar clutter and never “seriously” use the lockout on my Revs. It’s always a novelty “oh hey i can make these stiffer then pretend its making me faster up this steep bridleway” kind of affair.

forks are Revs RLT, and its the type of remote that only has ON and OFF settings, rather than the one where you can set it anywhere in between.

Am I bonkers? Having all that lockout and floodgate related hardware and rendering it useless because I don’t like bar clutter and cables?

DO IT!!!!!

look through my history and you’ll see why ive said that 😉

they are a piece of shit, and if it breaks mid ride/sieze it wont be in the open position, it will be in the locked out position so youll have limited travel movement!

worst design ever, get a crown lockout damper from loco, takes 1 minute to fit and its never going to cause you an issue when out, like it did me!

davidjey
    Free Member

If you don’t use it get rid.

They make £20-£30 on ebay 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Removing fork lockout – am I mad?’ is closed to new replies.