Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Removing dried sealant before adding tubes- worth the effort?
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Putting some mtb tyres on for a spin down the ridgeway. Putting tubes in as it’s only for one weekend, but tyres have plenty of dried out tubeless gunk in them.
    Is it worth the effort cleaning it out just for tubes?
    Had an issue once with residue from an old tyre boot causing fiction puncture on tubes…but that was a road tyre.

Worth cleaning or not?

survivor

I usually get the bigger bits out but then soon get bored so leave the rest and I’m still alive to pass on this useful knowledge!

oldnpastit

Ain’t nobody got time for that.

frogstomp

Remove any big chunks and make sure to check thoroughly for any thorns etc. which are still in place but were sealed.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Cleaning the inside of tyres isn’t something I’ve got much time for either…but just want to be sure it’s not going to lead to punctures when I’m 40miles from home!

Poopscoop

frogstomp

Subscriber
    Remove any big chunks and make sure to check thoroughly for any thorns etc. which are still in place but were sealed.

That sounds about right to me too.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Have also discovered that just rubbing it hard with scrunched up kitchen towel does a surprisingly good job of removing it. Texture of it just enough to grip sealant and peel it off.
    Not saying it’s a breeze but better than expected and easier than finger tips.

escrs
    Free Member

Recently cleaned mine out before going back to tubes with sealant in them (prefer less mess when switching tyres but like having sealant protection, plus i don’t run low pressures, 30psi min)

Wasn’t too bad, took 5 mins per tyre, get a nice even peel the width of the tyre and you can keep it going so it comes off in large sections, cleaned the beads up using my finger and thumb, inside the tyre looked like new

pictonroad

Those cheap leather gardeners gloves are your friend here. Takes two minutes to get 80% of it off.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Removing dried sealant before adding tubes- worth the effort?’ is closed to new replies.