Removing chicken levers from a CX bike

Home Forum Bike Forum Removing chicken levers from a CX bike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Removing chicken levers from a CX bike
  • Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Pretty much, that’s it. You’ll have to unwrap and rewrap your bar tape. Not difficult but it’s one of those funny jobs that some people shy away from.

It’s exactly as you say, you’ll need to re cable as the housing will be cut at the lever but easy as jobs go.

Premier Icon Lummox
    Subscriber

Or in place of the chicken levers you could fit middleburn cable oilers like I’ve done.

matthew_h

You might be able to get away with replacing the Crosstops with inline adjusters to avoid having to do any recabling or bartaping but doing the job properly would be better

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

Or in place of the chicken levers you could fit middleburn cable oilers like I’ve done.

I’d never heard of these, just looked them up. They look ace, if it works it’d be cheaper than new outers and help keep the mechanical discs decent over winter

shermer75

Those cable oilers look great. What do you put down them? Some WD40 maybe? And does it matter where on the cable run you put them?

shermer75

Oh, ok, I’ve just answered my own question:

Thread

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

My CX came with these fitted and they were great while I got used to the bike. However, after a couple of months I’m finding I hardly use them and prefer to be on the drops. From looking at it, it looks like I can just remove the levers and then replace the cable with a continuous run to the brake caliper (Hayes mechanical discs. Am I missing anything or is it that simple?

Main reason for removing them is it means I could fit stuff to the bars for some light touring. Also looks better plus saves a wee bit of weight.

Premier Icon Lummox
    Subscriber

Yep mine are on a croix de fer I commute on, give it a bit of gt85 every couple of weeks which works a treat.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

I run middleburn cable oilers on all my gear cables. That’s a cracking idea using them on the brake lines. I tip my hat to you sir.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Removing chicken levers from a CX bike’ is closed to new replies.