Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Removing anodising
  • matther01
    Free Member

Removing the garish decals from some wheels with acetone, but the specific tubeless valves are anodised.

Will acetone do this or do i need something stronger?

maccruiskeen

I think oven cleaner does the trick

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yes it does.

jamiep
    Free Member

yes, Oven Pride

matther01
    Free Member

Bonus…a fairly cheap way then!

Thanks folks

kayak23

Does it remove it easily?
    My Mega is black anodised. Hmmmm….. 💡

andysredmini
    Free Member

I found oven cleaner didn’t touch the hard anodising I tried removing. On advice from an anodising company that also do removal I ended up using a strong caustic soda and water mix. Worked a treat. Just observe the safety warnings on the bottle. It’s nasty stuff.
    Andy

ssboggy

+1 for caustic soda, I did some black middleburn crank arm’s with it, got it from Wilkos. As above take care as it’s nasty stuff

matther01
    Free Member

Marigolds with the soda then?

takisawa2

Any plating firm should be able to do it. Etching (which they have to do to prep the surface before anodising or chromating etc), removes the surface & with it any old anodising. Have to be careful with fine toleranced items though.

matther01
    Free Member

American classic valves are pretty delicate by all accounts…so will start with oven cleaner and then soda.

Using a plating firm will hopefully not be necessary.

Why they only come in red i have no idea?!

scaredypants

bit of black nail polish ?

matther01
    Free Member

I only wear pink and purple…im not a goth! 😀

papamountain
    Free Member

DRAIN cleaner. 50/50 with hot water, submerse for few minutes and watch it foam up. Rinse and the colour will be gone leaving bare aluminium finish.

kayak23

Not going anywhere near my aluminium frame with caustic soda after seeing what it did to the seized aluminium seatpost in an old steel frame I have.. 😯
    Black it stays.. 🙂

accu
    Free Member

drain or oven cleaner..
    as I learned it`s most important to stop the process as soon as the colour is gone..so the surface is bright and shiny..if exposed too long it gets dull and (depending of the ali ) rough…

and for a new colour..
    http://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/Anodising-Kit.php

matther01
    Free Member

Thanks accu

keppoch

thread diversion….

kayak23 – did you have success in removing the seatpost, I have a similar issue and tried it once but not much seemed to happen. Can you describe how you did it please?

waldo1
    Free Member

Caustic soda is the one. Be blumming careful though. Firstly, it’s seriously dangerous. The fumes which it gives off are intense and if it spashes on your skin it will burn. Secondly, it actually eats away at the aluminium and too long of an exposure to the item will dissolve it, especially a particularly soft aluminium.
    It does work well if done right.

willjones
    Free Member

Anyone care to shed some light on exact concentrations used, and time submersed to remove ano from middleburn cranks? Be good to see photos too so I know exactly what I’m letting myself in for!

parkesie
    Free Member

best way to remove ano from midleburn cranks is to ride your bike. 🙂

willjones
    Free Member

That’s the problem – they’re pretty worn from use, want to take the rest off!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Anyone care to shed some light on exact concentrations used, and time submersed to remove ano from middleburn cranks? Be good to see photos too so I know exactly what I’m letting myself in for!

Because i’m feeling nice…

It was about 5 minutes all in – quantity of caustic soda? Not sure, enough to get them fizzing gently!

Part 1

2:

3:

4:

Finished article before polishing:

My only tips would be don’t be afraid to lob more in if it’s taking ages, and have a soft wire brush as there will be a couple of stubborn bits 🙂

lovewookie

oh, is the SLX spider painted then? looks nice that.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Removing anodising’ is closed to new replies.