Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Removing a super tight fixed sprocket – Will heating it up help?
  • beamers

Morning all

I’m trying to remove a fixed sprocket from a track wheel and despite using an extension on the end of my chain whip it won’t budge. And yes, I am trying to turn it the correct way.

If I heat up the sprocket, a Surly steel one, will it help to unstick it?

Ta in advance

trail_rat
    Free Member

What chain whip are you using ? I’ve found that on a well used  fixed gear anything other than. A park sr 2.2 is pissing in the wind.

It’s generally torque rather than corrosion that causes them to be tight so I wouldn’t expect heating to do anything meaningful

Edit I may have the wrong guy but I recall from previous your near Aberdeen ….. How near I may be able to whip it off for you save you spending monies.

chipster

Can you put it back in the bike and back pedal/stamp on the crank? Wear shin guards.

kerley
    Free Member

Could try rotafix method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y16rJ0M4YLY

Heating would work if you have one of those very direct heating things that only heats the specific area.

tjagain

Heating will help a bit by expanding it but if the hub is alloy that expands more with heat so you need to heat the sproket and cool the hub

beamers

Cheers all.

Trail_rat – well remembered! However I’m in Inverness now. Thanks for the offer though!

mick_r

Probably a stupid question – if a proper track hub, have you removed the lock ring? And you do know the lock ring is left hand threaded? (many apologies if you already know this)

beamers

Just looked at that Rota fix clip. I might give that a try.

In terms of heating it I was thinking of using one of those cookery blowtorches that you use for making the crispy topping on a creme brulee.

beamers

Yes, lock ring removed.

dovebiker

As above, locking removed, support the bottom bracket to lift the back wheel off the ground, drive side cranks facing rearward and see if a firm stomp on the pedal will shift it. You’ll probably need someone else to hold the front of the bike down.  If the sprocket is expendable, wheel off and backed into a corner and a firm hit with a big flat-bladed screwdriver.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Technique is all, how are you trying to remove it?

I found bracing the wheel against your shin or something solid and bracing yourself too, helped get good torque. AS long as you have a good tool fnaar.

beamers

Update – heating with the blow torch + the Rota fix method linked by kerley above = success!

Didn’t require excessive force to shift it either.

Thanks all for your advice, especially kerley.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I normally “bus driver” it. Wrap the cog in old chain and stick it in a vice, grab a handfull of tyre and rim and pull.

Then i started using miche cogs that solved the problem.

BigJohn

If you don’t have a vice you can still use the bus driver method.  Take off a pedal and  stick a suitable bar through the hole  so it can wedge on the chainstay then turn the wheel backwards.

kerley
    Free Member

Then i started using miche cogs that solved the problem.

I went even further and changed to a Halo Fix G many years ago.  I ride brakeless so can’t be wondering whether my locking will have loosened and was getting problems with normal screw on sprockets due to the reverse forces when braking.

I can now change a sprocket in a few seconds and adjust chainlink to be sub mm perfect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Removing a super tight fixed sprocket – Will heating it up help?’ is closed to new replies.