Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Removing a stuck crank
  • gmtfd
    Free Member

I’m trying to remove the Stout crankset (Shimano Hollowtech II-type) from my Specialized Chisel, but can’t get the spindle all the way through the bottom bracket. It gets most of the way through but then gets stuck. I’ve tried using a punch to tap on the end of the spindle, but to no effect. Any ideas?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Had similar the other day. It was dried mud/muck/grit in the bottom bracket shell. Tip the bike on its side and if you can get the axle part way through, give it a good flush with gt85/wd40. If you’ve not got enough space, remove the 9ne cup you can access to see what’s going on.

spooky_b329

Dead blow mallet. Step back and give it a few clouts! None of this tapping nonsense 😉

hols2
    Free Member

null

gmtfd
    Free Member

Many thanks for the tip Onzadog. I did what you recommended, then used a piece of wood as a drift, and a plastic-faced hammer to knock the spindle out.

footflaps

I’ve had to use a ridiculous amount of force to get one out in the past, the plastic cup things are remarkably tough, but eventually they gave in to repeated blows with a blunt chisel and a lump hammer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Removing a stuck crank’ is closed to new replies.