Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Removing a stuck cassette from a Hope Pro2 (or similar) hub
  • doug_basqueMTB.com

I thought that this might be of use to someone. It’s a problem I’ve had with my Chris King and Hope hubs despite only using XT / SLX cassettes. The cassette digs into the carrier making it hard to remove. Yesterday I figured out how to remove them pretty easily which saved lots of hammering and swearing so I wrote it down and videoed it quickly in the hope it would save someone else the hassle.

Hope it helps, sorry if it’s already common knowledge and it was just me that had this problem!

Removing siezed cassette from Hope Pro2 Cassette

HermanShake
    Free Member

Cheers

Marko

Yep that works, but I’ll have to mark you down a few points for using a screwdriver as a drift and a Claw hammer.

Is it made of wood then?

🙂

Marko (pedant mode is on).

doug_basqueMTB.com

Ha ha Marko! I’ve had that claw hammer since I was a wee guy, given it by my dad, and it’s used for lots of bike maintenance! Not as if I need to worry about marking the cassette when I’m removing it anyway.

martinxyz
    Free Member

aye,you`ll be putting us out of a job! good tip.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Sorry Martinxyz! FWIW if you in the area then take it in to Square Wheels (is that still right?!) and get it done by the best 😉

Northwind

My Hope Hoops came with a wee bit of paper that said “Don’t worry if the freehub gets marked, it’s only cosmetic and won’t have any effect”. So every time my cassette gets stuck on because of the horrible gaping wounds in the soft alloy, I just wave that at the wheel and the cassette comes off instantly. Honest.

stucol
    Free Member

Had to do a wee bit of fileing of the splines when i removed the steel cassette i initially ran on my Pro2 hub.

Replaced it with an alloy bodied Sram PG990 cassette which solves the problem.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Stucol, I think that the XT / SLX is a alloy bodied cassette too… is that not the case? I don’t think that is the cause. Filing the splines is an option that has been suggested to me but to be honest I think I’ll just remove the cassette this way until it gets beyond repair and then buy a steel carrier from Hope.

Northwind, you’ve just shown me my problem… my hubs didn’t come with that bit of paper 😉

ciderinsport
    Free Member

the bottom 3 cogs of my pg990 dug in a bit… dont trust ’em!

Northwind

Yeah, I’ve only ever used cassettes with spiders on mine, but the loose steels still cut the freehub.

Not sure why but my DT freehub doesn’t do it as badly- and it gets easily twice the use my Hopes do. Tougher alloy? Tighter tolerances?

_tom_
    Free Member

My SLX is proper stuck on my pro2 freehub, thanks for this 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Removing a stuck cassette from a Hope Pro2 (or similar) hub’ is closed to new replies.