Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Removing a bolt seized in a sheared braze-on
  • jimmy

Was just trying to remove a bolt from the chainstay bridge near the bottom bracket of an isla Bike Cnoc. The Bont seemed to move but then I realised it was seized and the actual frame insert was turning, not the bolt. Not too fussed as I’ll never need the bolt but now it’s just going to rattle around and I’d rather remove it and plug the hole somehow. I’m about to get the frame resprayed so could just let the paint bond it all in place and leave it bit doesn’t feel too clever. Or glue in place and paint over ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Glue may not cope with powder-coating, paint/powder may well do a reasonable job.

Presuming you will ultimately resell, it may be worth removing and replacing the riv-nut.

jimmy

Aye – how to remove is the question though. I’ve whizzed it round enough so it’s totally loose but won’t pull out. Drilling isn’t going to work because the bolt will just spin. Can’t think how else.

bensongd
    Free Member

can you cut the head off the bolt, poke it into the frame and shake it out of the bottom bracket?

jimmy

<b>In</b> a word. No.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Indeed Jimmy (I meant to mention that). Maybe google or try another thread mentioning “riv-nut” as I think folk may have got round this in the past.

Equally, it may not be worth the bother!

orangeboy
    Free Member

I use a dremel to grind away the top flange of the riv nut and then push it into the frame to remove it. If it’s very looses and spinning as you grind it some tape will keep in in place

austy
    Free Member

I would try and reset the rivnut by using some sort of tool like a plasterboard fixing like this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-heavy-duty-setting-tool/8499g?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-screwsfixings-_-settingtool&_requestid=524709

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Removing a bolt seized in a sheared braze-on’ is closed to new replies.