Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Remove brake hose from old Kula?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

This brake hose (middle tab) was installed on my Kula about 11 years ago (by LBS, not sure how they did it).

How do I get it off? I don’t think I can jemmy it out of the tab without damaging the hose, or breaking the tab. Do I have to disconnect the calliper or lever and pull it through? I’m a bit stumped … but I have a doubt the LBS did that as the brakes come in the box bled and installable.

(Retrobikists may be interested to know the sticker on the TT said “Boom Boom’s Slow Banana Slug”, I bought this from the Kona team at Cheddar Challenge in maybe ’01 or ’02, it was Scott Beaumont’s training bike).

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2001&brand=Kona&model=Kula#.UhdwUGSgnC8

kimbers

as a konaist, Im jealous

either carefully bend open the guide a bit, carefully -its ally or just undo the brake hose

mattjg
    Free Member

as a konaist, Im jealous

I should keep it then?

It’s seen a lot of action (and a couple of injuries) over the years, but I’m a 29er boy now.

Yeah I was concerned about prising the tab, but I guess that’s what LBS did.

parkesie
    Free Member

Hold hose either side of guide and pull out. It’ll be a tight fit but should come out.

mattjg
    Free Member

OK I squished the hose with pliers and grunched the squished bit through the guide before it regained normal shape. Some scarring to hose but nothing terminal I think. No idea how I’ll get them back on, that’s a problem for another day.

Now to see if Hope will service 10 year old Minis ….

unovolo
    Free Member

A bit of boiling hot water from a kettle slowly poured over it would have probably softened up the outer to enable easier removal,possibly the same for refitting.

zippykona

How about a picture of the whole bike.

kimbers

hope will happily do 10 yr old minus they did one and came back great ask for phenolic pistons too

mattjg
    Free Member

pics? nothing recent, I don’t ride it now (aluminium 26″ HT, what were we thinking? torture instruments).

For nostalgia, Verbier 2003:

CYB 2004:

This bike also went to Slickrock/Moab, could guide you around Surrey Hills unaided, and dumped me twice resulting in broken wrists (both of them). We have history, there’s even is a little worn patch on the TT from drip drip drip of my sweat.

It has the “Ford Focus” stickers from back when Kona were doing that promo. I still have the original brakes, wheels, saddle, stem & bars. The crankset is original and I believe the shifters and mechs and seatpost. I may even still have the grips!

It cost me a grand from the Kona team at Cheddar Challenge, came with SIDS but they were ****ed according to the LBS, hence the Bombers.

Great heel rub patch on the chainstay.

kimbers

lush ! don’t sell it, I reckon you’d miss it

mattjg
    Free Member

my friend it is anything but lush

but I doubt I’ll sell it, thinking I’ll set it up for the delectable Ms G to pootle around on.

Alternatively I’ll use it for a shopping/station bike, but then it’ll get nicked and I will miss it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Remove brake hose from old Kula?’ is closed to new replies.