Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Remove a sheared brass screw?
  • oliverd1981
    Free Member

I was mounting an alarm sensor onto my shiny new aluminium door frames and it turned out that I chose the wrong size of pilot drill and the worst material to use as a self tapping screw.

I’m left with a 2-2.5mm brass screw sheared off almost flush in the frame – but just convex enough that I can’t drill into it.

Any thoughts? Anyone fancy centre-boring a 3mm drill bit for me ?

spennyy
    Free Member

Centre pop it first to guide the drill bit

cromolyolly
    Free Member

If it really is brass in aluminium, you may be able to get it out by putting a Jewelers type screwdriver on it and tapping it with a hammer.  jewellers screwdrivers usually have pretty sharp ends. Brass should be soft enough that the screwdriver will cut its own slot.  Brass is soft enough that the threads won’t gall – it is sometimes used as bushings.  You may need to buy a new screwdriver though.  Or just sharpen an old one

Or as spennyy says centre punch it – a sharp/sharpened nail is a good substitute for a centre punch.  Don’t use a nailset – those have the wrong shaped end

bigyinn
    Free Member

Can you get enough of a hole in the end to use an easy out (LH thread) that screws into the drilled hole, then it bites and unscrews the remaining screw? I suspect its probably too small to do that though.

drnosh
    Free Member

Brass self tapper?

Are you sure its brass and a self tapper?

Sharp centre punch. Drill out carefully to a size suitable to tap to a thread size that you possess screws of.

jamesoz

Grind it off flat with a dremel and move the sensor slightly and drill new holes? Assuming it’s the first one you should be able to cover it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Remove a sheared brass screw?’ is closed to new replies.