• This topic has 24 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by easily.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Removable rear mudguard (mudhugger?)
  • tabletop2
    Free Member

I want to not care what I look like when riding a bike. I already wearing stupid goggles, weird padded shorts, sometimes a brightly coloured top.

Everyone else thinks we look stupid anyway.

So why am I resisting ordering a massive mudhugger rear guard as we slowly move into the Scottish slop season? Anyway – has anyone been successful in making it removable so I can only put it on in wet days? Maybe I would convince myself I want it removable to put in the car or something rather than vanity.

I was wondering if velcro straps would work or if it wouldn’t be tight enough. Just wondering if anyone had any experience before I order it

bikesandboots

Zefal RS75? Could remove the guard via the angle-adjust hex bolts, leaving the brackets on the seatstay.

prettygreenparrot

OP I went with what you said a few years ago: so what if it looks ugly and weird I don’t have a huge muddy stripe up my back.

Mudhugger on my hard tail. Just stays on there all the time.

One of those zefal ‘seat stay’ mounted ones on my FS. Stays on all the time.

Went with the different products for the different bikes so the guards were close-ish to the tyres and as neat-looking as possible.

Only downside is that mudguards are a pain if you’re putting the bike in the back of a car.

Edit. Taking the zefal guard off the mounts is possible. But a lot of faff imo.

towzer

Poss not quite what you want but

I have a small/mid fixed rear mudguard low down at rear (protect motor and suspension, rrp pro guard one) and if it’s muddy I add a clamp on topeak defender to the very top of the seatpost.

https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/101-Fenders, i use the defender 29 xc11

tjagain

I searched for a bling mud guard and coukd come uo with nothing better than the mudhugger

zippykona

Sks mud rocker is better than mudhugger. Longer at the front and held on with Velcro.
    Looks better as well.

clubby

Just embrace it.
    Rear mudhugger stays on hardtail all year and goes on ebike for winter. Wouldn’t use mine with Velcro as it uses 4 narrow zip tie slots. Still shakes a little even with all the slots used. I wrap the mounting area with inner tube to stop the shake and protect the frame.
    Do like the look of that SKS one though, I’d be tempted with that over a Mudhugger for the extra front coverage.

ShanAndy

I fitted a mudhugger to my FS winter of 2020 and never got round to taking it off. It does make it look like I’ve borrowed it from Eval kineval, but I’m so used to it that it’s an integral part of my mental image of the bike.

@prettygreenparrot
    is right about getting it in the back of the car though. We put ours in the boot wheels off, upside down and the mudhugger does get in the way.

I’d agree with @clubby about velcro. There’s quite a lot of leverage at bottom out on hits trying to pull the guard off the stays. It takes very little slack for it to start rattling and that means frame rub.

I’ve got helicopter tape under mine and that seems to stop too much frame damage.

iainc

the SKS mud rocker as pictured above is similar to mudhugger but easily on off via velcro straps, so probably exactly what you are looking for

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Totally agree OP. I don’t know why some company doesn’t make them to stand out.

When I posted the same question a few years back someone mentioned reusable zipties, but they’re so expensive that I just ended up snipping off all 6 zipties each time I wanted the guard off

Which is totally evil.

spannermonkey

Another vote here for the SKS Mudrocker, also have the Mudhugger and much prefer the SKS item.

Attaches with velcro and also has a ‘tongue’ that helps to stop the Mudhugger thing of firing all the mud straight at your BB/pivots

tabletop2
    Free Member

Thanks all.

With the SKS one is it reasonably easy to take on and off?

therevokid
    Free Member

sks mudrocker but use the viola straps instead of the velcro ones …. put it on last autumn and kinda for got it 😉

coconut
    Free Member

Are the rear mud huggers shirt versions any good in wet conditions ?

binman

Are the rear mud huggers shirt versions any good in wet conditions

They protect the dropper but not as effective for your back as a longer version. Go big or go home with a wet arse.

I have snapped a couple of MudRockers at their mountings but the customer service was spot on. I use one on the hardtail now, as the protection of the suspension pivots is more comprehensive than the Mudhugger.

windysurfer
    Free Member

“viola straps instead of the velcro ones”

Have you got a link to the straps please?

cheers

dexa

Mudhugger on all year, mates always laugh but I always have a dry back…

escrs
    Free Member

Mudhugger on all year, mates always laugh but I always have a dry back…sack and crack!

Another Mudhugger user here, one on the hardtail and one on the E-mtb

I have a collection of found mudguards, lots of people seem to lose them but never come back looking for them (i leave them visible by the road/trail side for a few days and if they are still there after that time i take them home rather than them becoming litter)

I have yet to come across a lost Mudhugger!

blastit
    Free Member

Looks pretty neat

This looks a nice idea, simple to remove and spare bits if you muller it.

lovewookie

Win Wing Gravel Logo

for gravel, but for up to 60mm tyres, so may work OK. I’m undecided on the look, but it’s a mudguard, so it’s never going to be that pretty and be useful offroad.

b33k34

Mudhugger on all year, mates always laugh but I always have a dry back…

and here. I used to take it off in summer, but this year was the hottest and driest on record and I didn’t get around to it. You don’t see it when your’e riding and I dont register it when I look at the bike any more. cleaner clothes, pack, seat post. Don’t fall off, cope with enduro level riding. What’s not to like?

tall_martin

I had crud guards on the back for years. I smashed several In crashes.

After a biblicaly wet ride with several smug mug Hugger users who were significantly drier than me I bought one for my hardtail, then one for the full suss.

Great things. Get some copter tape on and leave on all winter.

scaredypants

Zefal RS75? Could remove the guard via the angle-adjust hex bolts, leaving the brackets on the seatstay.

is what I do – not a massive PITA really, though I don’t take off every time it’s dry in winter

tabletop2
    Free Member

Thanks all I’ve looked into all the options losted

I think I’m going to go with the SKS mudrocker,

Looks not too bad to remove and install and also covers more Infront for shock etc

easily
    Free Member

Anyone tried these: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/musguard/musguard-omni-rollable-bicycle-mudguards or the earlier version?

Like the op I use mudguards when I need to, but take them when possible.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.