Remounting Tubeless Tyres

Home Forum Bike Forum Remounting Tubeless Tyres

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Remounting Tubeless Tyres
  • Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

Have you repaired the tyre puncture or just stuck a load more sealant in?

If it’s up and holding air then obv that’s the proof of the pudding, but you would normally repair the initial puncture – if you’ve flatted on the trail then that usually indicates a substantial rupture that the sealant can’t cope with.

Guess it depends on what state the sealant was in when you flatted – if it was all dried out then a tiny puncture could flat you, and adding more sealant could take care of this.

Premier Icon curiousyellow
    Subscriber

Had a flat a while ago while running tubeless. Stuck a tube in and rode it. Tried to set it up tubeless again today. It went up but pissed a load of sealant resealing various holes that must have gotten there while using it with the tube and through the rim in the process. It is holding firm and no problems during a quick 2 minute spin round the streets, but is this par for the course?

Any tips for when I have to repeat the process please? Could do without coating my kitchen in Stans fluid!

Subscriber

Sealant had shrivelled up when I took the tyre off to pop the tube in. There are 2 cups of sealant in there and it’s holding, but it didn’t half piss out sealant while resealing itself!

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

If it’s a big hole, consider shoving an anchovy in, or a patch on the inside (or even stitch and glue)

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

You will avoid getting stand fluid all over your kitchen by fixing your bike somewhere else.

Subscriber

The leak is tiny. About 1mm. It seals, but I’d not have noticed it out on a ride.

May add some rubber cement next time it comes off. What’s the consensus on tubeless once they get a hole too big to reseal? Bin? Repair?

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

It’s usually an easy decision – you try and repair it and the anchovy thing will either plug the hole (most punctures) or it won’t (e.g. a bad rip of the sidewall). Most of the time it will be obvious whether you can attempt a repair or not.

Third option is the puncture is on or close to the tyre bead, which usually cannot be repaired. Even small punctures here can bollox you as they’re hard to mend.

Dasha

I often find whenIi do get a proper puncture in my UST tubeless tyres its sufficient to just put a drop of Super glue in the puncture hole. When I do take the tyres off I always remove the old sealant residue and repair any holes by super gluing a patch on. If they’re tubeless ready tyres I use normal vulcanising rubber solution.

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

Try a Panaracer tubeless repair kit to fix bigger holes from the outside on the trail.

Subscriber

Took them to FoD yesterday for an uplift day. Some water filtered through the rim on the first run, but they were solid the whole day. Seems I was unduly worried!

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

Try a Panaracer tubeless repair kit to fix bigger holes from the outside on the trail.

The Weldtite one is much better.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Remounting Tubeless Tyres’ is closed to new replies.