Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Remote location for a quiet week end
  • juan
    Free Member

I am looking for a Nice and quiet/remote place to spend an extended week end at the end of June.

I was thinking of the north of scotland or possibly Ireland. Obviously north of Norway is very tempting too.

Somewhere else?

rOcKeTdOg

eigg (island off the west of Scotland)

djglover
    Free Member

Borneo

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

Northumberland very quiet and has boat loads of scenery and climbds, downside is I live here.

Wait a minute I just got Deja Vue.

juan
    Free Member

ROFL @ drac

I don’t have to talk to you

Hang on a second…

matt_outandabout

Isle of Seil – cracking, quiet spot with loads of walking/small trips/easy pedaling to the Brewery(!) and pubs. Beautiful.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/seil/seil/

Where we stayed (brilliant by the way): http://www.obanseilfarm.com/

The view from where we stayed:

Local beach? What more did I need for a week – I had two boys and a heavily pregnant wife!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for Northumberland here.

There’s a lovely little pub in a lovely little village that brews its own beer. They have a very nice place to stay, overlooking the bay……… 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

Nasbinals, Lozère.

grumm
    Free Member

Jura

IanMunro
    Free Member

Peckham. Absolutely stunning in the late spring.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Nice is nice this time of year. 😀

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Juan, some good suggestions about the islands, but for a long weekend the travel time would be prohibitive. Torridon is relatively accessible and absolutely spectacular. Also try Braemar/Ballater area – busier but stunning hillwalking/riding

bionicwoman
    Free Member

Isle of arran west cost of scotland near prestwick if your flying up…. lots of natural riding

jojoA1
    Free Member

beautiful

Achmelvich, near Lochinver.

There is also a splendid pie shop in Lochinver.

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve camped at Achmelvich – lovely spot, apparently can get v busy though. That pie shop is indeed amazing too.

Pigface
    Free Member

Falkland Islands

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Applecross, west Scotland, Plenty places to stay and the Applecross Inn is legendary for it’s local seafood.
    Papa Westray (Papay), one of the most northerly of the Orkney Islands, and it’s larger neighbour Westray. There are no pubs on Papay, there’s at least one on Westray. last time I was on papay, the fog came ind the airport phoned to say all flights were cancelled. To get back to Kirkwall, on the island they call mainland, I got a lift in a car to the ferry at New Pier, the ferry to Pierowall, a bus (radio’ed from the ferry so the driver know to come and get me) to Rapness, another ferry to Kirkwall. From Kirkwall another bus took me to South Ronaldsay, then another ferry across the Pentland Firth to John O’Groats – how remote do you want to be?
    Inverie is just across the the mouth of Loch Nevis (nowhere near Ben Nevis) from Mallaig, where you get the ferry to Skye. Although on the mainland, there are no roads to Inverie, so if you don’t fancy the ferry, you can drive, dump your car and walk 17 miles. It’s pretty remote.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the road to Applecross

Applecross

Papa Westray

Inverie Bay

Wow, I love this country, I really do

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

And one other thing, if you fly from kirkwall to papa westrya, it only costs £12 return, so long as you spend at least 1 night on the island. If you get the flight that goes to both Westray and Papa Westray, you get a certificate because it’s the shortest commercial airline flight in the worls, timetabled flight time = 2 minutes (yes 120 seconds), and I believe the flight distance is shorter than the length of the runway at Heathrow.

juan
    Free Member

thanks all I think I will go to scotland then 😉
    not sure where yet but I will for sure
    I’ll dig into it 😀
    XXX

juan
    Free Member

Ok more fact to had.
    I am going to be middle aged in about 6 month, and I really can’t put with the family stressed associated with it.

So I though I’d just get a nice and calm/quiet place to stay the week end (from friday to wednesday).

I might need electricity though to work a bit :D.
    But scotland is very likely so far 😉

caledonia
    Free Member

Another shout for Lochinver / Achmelvich, or a little further up the road Clach Toll. Proper remote, and very beautiful. We’ve been up loads as we have friends up that way/

The road out of Ullapool to Lochinver is one of my fav roads to drive on.
    Once there plenty of walks, rockhopping and some stunning wee beaches.
    Stunning scenery.

Pie shop in Lochinver = Venison and Cranberry is to die for !

Stoner
    Free Member

hmmm, tempted with lochinver…

AA says it will take me 11hrs and a 600 mile tank of diesel (about £80)

Spongebob
    Free Member

The UK is the best place on Earth!

Stoner
    Free Member

it’ll take me 15 hrs going via applecross. 🙁

Cant you scots peeps build motorways or soemthing?! eh? 🙂

juan
    Free Member

The UK is the best place on Earth!

Not seen through STW…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

no – we like to keep the place to ourselves

i wonder if applecross is really all that nice, or if it just looks like that because you’re so glad to get there at last.

BTW – Mrs Ghillies guest house in Camusteel – biggest breakfast i’ve ever seen, and just the right length of walk to the applecross inn.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I’m blessed to have lived in Applecross from age 0-5. It’s a very special place.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Remote location for a quiet week end’ is closed to new replies.