Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Remote Desktop help – Mac to Windows
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I use Remote Desktop on my Mac to connect to my Windows 7 laptop on my local network. Worked fine yesterday but having issues today.

In summary the laptop is on the wireless network. When the remote session is started everything appears to be working and I can see the remote “Welcome” screen on my mac. The laptop screen then locks as if it is all going to work OK, but then the remote connection fails. When I log back into my laptop locally it looks like the wireless connection has been dropped at some stage in the remote connection. Obviously at that point it is bound to fail to connect.

I tried RDP over ethernet and it connects OK.

It was all working OK over wireless yesterday. I’ve restarted the laptop, the router and just about to try restarting the Mac. No new updates for Remote Desktop have been applied overnight as far as I can see.

jam-bo

I use Cord. Seems better than the Microsoft RDP client for mac

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve used Remote Desktop Connection and Microsoft Remote Desktop. The former has, over the years, proved better, but neither are particularly reliable and I seem to have more and more problems these days. I’ll have a look at Cord thanks.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Chrome Remote Desktop here.
    Chromebook to Mac or PC
    Mac to PC
    PC to Mac
    All good.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve used that from my Chromebook to Mac before Sharkbait. Another one to try.

It used to work reliably enough, but now it’s becoming a highly disruptive PITA

brassneck

Is the Mac wireless only? Have some odd issues on my mini when I have both wired and wireless connections enabled that I can’t be arsed to sort out, so switched to wireless only (to allow AirDrop)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The Mac is wireless

jwh
    Free Member

the Google chrome RDP seems to work well – and i have found much faster then VNC.

JustAnotherLogin
    Free Member

I never really got on with chord. I found it had a bit of a lag or something. I’ve being using 2x RDP and found it pretty good.

brassneck

DECT phone anywhere near your router/AP? Got a world of drop out, inconsistently, on the Roku and Apple TV when I bought a new one recently.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

@brassneck – No, but wireless has been flaky in recent weeks both on the LAN and WAN. It may or may not be connected (pun intended).

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The other possible relevant thing is that our TV has been playing up a bit. If a car goes past outside we lose signal temporarily. Something odd is interfering with something else possibly???

The issue with RDP is reproducible though in that that laptop drops the wireless connection at a certain point in initiating the remote connection. At this point in time the mac is still on the wireless OK

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Remote Desktop help – Mac to Windows’ is closed to new replies.