Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Remote control utility pants…or is there an alternative?
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

We have our new home cinema set up and watching a film is great BUT the number of remote controls we have lined up on the arm of the sofa is ridiculous.

Have any of you found an all in one type remote that actually works for the majority of the time? I mean that you can use after a short period of familiarisation without giving it much thought and has all of the functions you use day to day.

I have LG TV, LG Blu Ray, Yamaha AV amp and Sky+ box. The remote for the lights can stay separate but would be nice to include.

Please help me, first world problems are ruining my life (and my partner’s, think of her if not me 🙂 )

leffeboy

Disappointed. Was expecting more Wallace and gromit 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Me too.

jon1973
    Free Member

Don’t the TV and BD work off the same control anyway if they’re both LG?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Logitech Harmony?

zokes
    Free Member

Disappointed. Was expecting more Wallace and gromit

+2

Rubber_Buccaneer

Sorry to dissapoint so many, I had to suck you into my boring little topic somehow.

Having succeeded I have to say your replies have been a terrible dissapointment to me, one Logitech Harmony? is the only slightly helpful reply and even that is useless with the ? at the end.

I could try an AV forum but they will assume way too much knowledge on my part.

peterfile
    Free Member

Logitech Harmony?

I have one of these and it’s utterly brilliant.

Incidentally, I might not need it anymore, so could be selling it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Harmonies have plenty of fans. Sometimes the go cheap too.

BigJohn

My Harmony is rubbish.

I was watching The Artist last night. I couldn’t get it to adjust the colour or the soundtrack.

molgrips
    Free Member

My idea was to tie all the remotes to bungee cord anchored on the ceiling in the middle of the room, and by each chair have a pole with a hook on it. That way you can grab the remote you want, use it and when you let go it bounces back to the centre of the room so you always know where it is.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can’t believe no one has suggested it.

Rubber_Buccaneer

bounces back to the centre of the room

Tried that, broke two light fittings and a tooth 🙂

I shall have to take a look at the Harmony as it is getting so many mentions.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I was watching The Artist last night. I couldn’t get it to adjust the colour or the soundtrack.

You deserve at least half a 🙂 for that, probably not a whole one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tried that, broke two light fittings and a tooth

Much needed lol at that 🙂

dr_death
    Free Member

Harmony One is the one for you (b’dum tsh).

I had the same issue with TV, PS3, Mutliroom sound sytem, Amp. Harmony controls them all (and I may even change my light switches to radio controlled ones just to add to the coolness factor…..)

sharkbait
    Free Member

I have one of these and it’s utterly brilliant.

Incidentally, I might not need it anymore, so could be selling it.
    If RB isn’t interested I may well be… email in profile

Rubber_Buccaneer

Don’t wait for me, I could be dithering for a while. If not sold to anyone else email me the details though as I’m sure I will be buying a universal remote of some kind.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m moving house next weekend, and once I’ve sorted out all my multimedia stuff, I will know whether or not I still need it.

It’s 6 months old and I still have the box and manuals etc. Not a mark on it.

I’ll send you both an email next weekend if that’s OK?

You should have a read about how it works, it’s pretty darn clever. For example, you can set up an activity called “watch movie” and it will turn on your projector to the correct setting, turn on your AV recevier to the correct setting, load up your video player on your macbook or PC, or xbox or sky box etc. All with one click.

You can do that for anything from listening to music, playing xbox, watching TV etc. So simple to programme what you want to happen when you select a particular thing.

Plus obvious ability to control each device independently.

Rubber_Buccaneer

An update for anyone interested. I bought a Harmony 900 and so far (it arrived this morning) I think it is brilliant. It appears to be controlling all devices very well and is flexible enough to be made to do whatever I want so far. The real proof will come from a couple of weeks use but so far I am very impressed and think the genuine remotes will not be needed again.

The only downside is the cost. Even at a very good price from ebay it cost more than my Blu Ray player!

peterfile
    Free Member

They are awesome eh? 🙂

I forgot about this thread, i was going to offer you my no-longer-needed Harmony One.

Still got the box/CD/manuals/cables etc and not a mark on it (only 6 months old) if anyone else wants it.

Rubber_Buccaneer

They are as you say awesome 🙂 The 900 is much like your ‘One’ but with RF (handy so I don’t have to point the remote) and coloured buttons (handy for a fiance addicted to the Sky box).

Maybe sharkbait is still after yours?

antigee

was going to suggest this as the answer to those that hate seatpost bags – but looks like will do this job as well

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/svendsen-ontario-fishing-jacket-p94496

17 pockets!

ruminant
    Free Member

hi

just bought a harmony this weekend, there on offer in currys at moment.

first impressions fantastic. simple to setup, just works

get one laddo

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Remote control utility pants…or is there an alternative?’ is closed to new replies.