Remote or wireless access point to extend network?

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by  Cougar.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Remote or wireless access point to extend network?
  • 5plusn8

In the walls one of our offices there is this fancy new foil insulation that does not appear to allow wifi through it very well. I have experimented by putting the router close to the wall and still get really weak signal even just the other side of the wall.
    This rules out a typical wifi relay extender thing, as the wifi signal to be extended sucks.
    We have wired network into the room, from the main router which is also our wireless router. I have been looking for a device that we can plug into this wired network and then transmit the wireless signal much like a wireless extender.
    I think this is called a Remote Access Point? Or a wireless access point?
    Where can I buy these things?
    Is this what I need?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004UBU8IE

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Sounds like an ideal application for powerlines / homeplugs.

5plusn8

no need, when have wired network in the room already, but want to have wireless in there. Its a big conference/meeting room.

neilnevill

any old router, so long as you can get to the firmware, will do. turn off IP addressing from the remote one, and set it to a fixed ip number high in the range of the other. it then works as a switch and wireless access point

Premier Icon ajaj
    Subscriber

Not sure why people are making this hard. Yes the access point you linked to will work.

We’ve got one. It suffers from someone having tried far too hard to make it easy to use (by creating a public DNS for local IP address) and in the process making it unnecessarily complex but once set up works.

5plusn8

Not sure why people are making this hard.

Its the way of this place, you learn to appreciate it, sometimes it teaches you stuff. Other times you just want an answer to your question. I don’t think I have ever had a straight answer so early in the thread, so thanks. I’ll get one, its cheap.

Premier Icon DaveP
    Subscriber

Yes that access point would work.
    I use these – https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Extender-External-Antennas-EX6120-100UKS/dp/B01560JGQW/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544525536&sr=1-4&keywords=netgear+wifi+extender

and set the SSID to the same name everywhere. If you put the ethernet connection into it (and reconfigure it – very easy), it works just like the one you have listed. The one I have listed uses less space but will probably give you slightly less coverage/throughput (although that is not necessarily true).

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

no need, when have wired network in the room already

Sorry, misunderstood the question. Wireless AP then, yes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Remote or wireless access point to extend network?’ is closed to new replies.