Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • remembering which way to undo pedals? gnfckrackghahh!@#$&(@!
  • DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got it! Works every time for the allen key method –
    put the allen key in the pedal hole and push – if the freewheel um freewheels, thats undo. if the cranks drive the wheel thats do up.
    Works for both sides, bike right way up or upside down.
    Hang on, if it works, I dun a vid

DezB
    Free Member
    Daffy

Pedals tighten in the same direction you pedal, so taking them off is just the opposite. The drive side crank is always turning clockwise so your tool for removal must go counter clockwise to remove the pedal. Your non-drive side crank is moving counter clockwise so your removal tool must go clockwise to remove the pedal.

This way means it doesnt matter what orientation the bike is or what tool is used to remove it. Just remeber that pedals tighten in the same direction you pedal.

Bez

Yeah but the problem with the “tighten in the direction you pedal” tips is that when you pedal the drive side pedal rotates anti-clockwise relative to the crank, which is the way to loosen it 😀

If it works for you, great, it’s just not foolproof.

timba
    Free Member

In a hotel? Call room service

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Stood at the drive side looking at the axles end on: both pedals undo anti-clockwise.
    Stood at the non-drive side looking at the axles end on: both pedals undo clockwise.
    Simple as.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The pedals undo in the direction that they rotate on their axles when you are pedalling the bike forwards . I know this has already been said but it’s totally foolproof unless your name is Bez .

Gunz
    Free Member

Holy hell, not mentioning names but some people do overthink matters.
    My point about doing up in the direction of pedal rotation is this. Imagine looking at the side of the bike your target pedal is on whilst someone is riding the bike. On the drive side their foot will describe a clockwise path – clockwise to tighten. Swap sides and the person’s foot would describe an anti-clockwise path – anti-clockwise to tighten

big_scot_nanny

Superb responses, you bunch of wonderful folks. Many still have me in tears, as when I read them, the words literally swim about and may brain goes la la 🥳

I will try a couple of the more ‘practical for idiots’ solutions in the coming days, and let you know what, for me (!) makes sense.

Stickers will definitely be deployed! Is there the possibility that Charlie TBM could sort these stickers? there’s got to be a meme in here somewhere? Or maybe the next gen gnarppon t-shirt. Either would help!

And yes, as many, many of you have confirmed, I am almost totally and completely lacking in ‘The Knack’

seadog101

Put an O ring or small elastic band around the axle of left one to tell you it’s a LH thread.

hols2
    Free Member

Put an O ring or small elastic band around the axle of left one to tell you it’s a LH thread.

Or put chainrings on the RH one but no chainrings on the LH one (unless you have some weird niche thing going).

antigee

standard indicator for a charged battery round these parts (well in my garage but I’m sure others must do this) – people might think you’ve got a motor in there next thing you’ll be asking how to pee into a test tube

big_scot_nanny

I thought a brief update was due, reading through the thread again still brings me huge joy – what a laugh!

I think Dez B was pretty close to having a solution that I can remember, however what I resorted to was keeping a note on my iPhone with a picture that says “To undo, push towards front of bike, same for other pedal”

Couple of trips completed, and that has done me proud

ah ha!

scotroutes

If you have a Shimano (external) BB then the instructions are handily printed on that.

richmtb

Pedal facing forward,

Insert allen key so it points at the front wheel

Push allen key towards down tube / frame.

Works for left, right, upside down whatever.

timb34
    Free Member

I always tighten or undo pedals with the wheels on the ground. That way I just have to remember that undoing pedals is the direction in which my knuckles will smash into the exposed teeth on the big ring when it suddenly lets go. This might be less memorable with 1x drivetrains.

spot
    Free Member

Shimano pedals have litttle arrows on them that say tighten.

mariner
    Free Member

If its done up and the allen key is bending when you try to undo it its the other way.
    Cant see the problem.

big_scot_nanny

If its done up and the allen key is bending when you try to undo it its the other way.
    Cant see the problem.

😂

sofaman

Same problem with less knuckle skin jeopardy…

Linkage collet bolts where the allen key fits in the thread end (the head end having the wedge expander bolt).

So it is both backwards and you cannot push to engage the threads. Spent an hour thinking the linkage wasn’t exactly aligned with the frame until I realised I was rotating it in the wrong direction. Wore a hole in my finger pushing against the expander bolt in the process. 🙁

frogstomp

That way I just have to remember that undoing pedals is the direction in which my knuckles will smash into the exposed teeth on the big ring when it suddenly lets go.

Holding the hex key still and using the opposite crank arm as the lever greatly reduces the level of jeapordy.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My suggestion is to accept, that like USB plugs, there’s no way to know until you try 3x.

Grab a pedal, all have left or right marked somewhere. Offer it to the correct side, R = drivetrain, and use your fingers to turn it until it begins to screw in to the crank. When you have established the direction by feel, use the pedal spanner.

I was stoned off my tits for years as a bike mech and still managed to get it right.

Usually.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh undo….

Well that’s just the opposite of what you already did.

wwaswas

Holding the hex key still and using the opposite crank arm as the lever greatly reduces the level of jeapordy.

As does putting the chain in the big ring before you start.

(thanks Jenn – that tip always stayed with me)

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘remembering which way to undo pedals? gnfckrackghahh!@#$&(@!’ is closed to new replies.