Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Remember the dress?
  • scotroutes

What colour is this shoe?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Pink.  Is that the QI klaxon I hear?

twistedpencil

Thought this was going to be an Elizabeth Hurley thread….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PiknMix
    Free Member

I’ll play, mint green and grey.

Coyote
    Free Member

Pink?

piemonster

Mint green and grey

scotroutes

Pink with white and gray with turquoise/mint are the two options. I started with the gray, made myself see pink and now can’t revert.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Trick question, the shoe has two colours on view, grey and mint green. 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thought this was going to be an Elizabeth Hurley thread….

Came here to post that.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Pink and white with mint green laces.

I am colour blind though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done Perchy lad, a shoe thread, and not a single reference to Flashy, your therapist is a good yin.

oldtennisshoes

Thought this was going to be a Bill Clinton thread….

IHN

Thought this was going to be an Elizabeth Hurleya Monica Lewinsky thread….

IHN

Twenty seconds late!

perchypanther
    Free Member

not a single reference to Flashy,

Except that one.

…and this one.

BoardinBob

green and grey

ayjaydoubleyou

Aquamarine laces and highlights, grey body.

oldtennisshoes

🙌 @IHN

matt_outandabout

Purple with yellow polka dots?

WillH

I remember discussing the dress image at work some colleagues; one had never heard of it. We went back to his desk and googled it, both of us saw white and gold. I had always seen white and gold and couldn’t get my head around how anyone could think it was anything but. Mentalists, clearly.

We went on the Wikipedia page for it, looking for an explanation. I was talking through some aspect or other and the image I was looking at just changed, as I spoke. It was weird, like time slowed down for a second while my brain tried to make sense of it. That’s they only time I’ve ever been properly gob-smacked, lost for words. I knew without doubt that the image on the screen hadn’t changed, yet I was also certain it had changed. After that I could change what colour it was by sort of tuning out while looking at it and just deciding.

That shoe is grey and turquoise though.

Superficial
    Free Member

Argh, I can never not see pink. Even though I know it’s wrong.

For those who, like me, think it’s pink, I made this:

molgrips
    Free Member

The pixels are a particular colour, but because the white balance of the photo seems to be off, some of our brains are attempting to compensate for this based on the fact that we’ve probably seen many pink and white trainers in the past and laces are usually white.

scotroutes

View post on imgur.com

The actual shoes

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I don’t know what colour the shoe is. I can tell you what colour that image is as I have a colour corrected monitor and a colour picker.

Send me the shoe and I’ll take it to the neutral colour proof room at the printers and give you a better assessment.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ll guess at pink and baby blue though.

foot-1-2

Superficial
    Free Member

The actual shoes

Except, they’re not the actual shoes.

I know the shoes are probably pink IRL. But I also know the colour shown on my monitor is a grey-green as demonstrated by the video.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Really the question should not be “What colour is this shoe?” but “How shit is this person at taking photos?”.
    Nobody would turn off the red-eye suppression on their camera and then start a debate about whether Auntie Lou is the Devil would they?

ChrisL

I can see some pinkish bits near the bottom and top of the image but otherwise my eyes and brain stubbornly maintain that the shoe is grey with mint green laces and trim.

jimdubleyou

start a debate about whether Auntie Lou is the Devil would they?

No need to debate:
    Auntie Lou = Louise

TheBrick
    Free Member

Wtf! I was seeing green and grey then saw eddiebaby’s picture that looks really pink then scrolled up to the top and the op’s picture went from grey and blue to pink.

Cougar

Really the question should not be “What colour is this shoe?” but “How shit is this person at taking photos?”.
    Nobody would turn off the red-eye suppression on their camera and then start a debate about whether Auntie Lou is the Devil would they?

Exactly.

30 seconds with a colour picker will tell you that in the photo it’s grey with teal highlights. I’d guess a cheap flash or too warm a scene setting – if you shoot under fluorescent lighting with the white balance set for incandescent you’ll get blue-tinged results. The auto-level function in Paint.Net returns it to almost the correct colour (pink and white as per the above).

You don’t need techno-wizardry to demonstrate it though. choose a largish area of shoe like the sidewall above the sole, then mask off the rest of it with your hands so that none of the teal bits are visible.

CountZero

I would have said that the original colour is probably white with light green trim and laces, but the crap lighting in the photo has turned the white light grey. When I used to do photo-retouching for press, I’d try to find something in the photo that I knew would be a neutral grey and put the dropper on it, the change could be really dramatic.

Bunnyhop

Shoe – lilac
    Laces – duckegg blue

Cougar

As for why grey looks pink when it’s next to a bluey-greeny grey, our brains do funny things when colours are adjacent and our expectation plays a part in how we interpolate an image.

By Original: Edward H. Adelson, vectorized by Pbroks13. - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=75000950

Both grey squares A and B are identical colours. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion

BruceWee

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Remember the dress?’ is closed to new replies.