Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Remember how we used to laugh at ..
  • MrSparkle

Preppers?
    Might be reconsidering all that and keeping a few things to hand just in case. 😐

martinhutch

Hey, I’ve still got my Brexit/lockdown toilet roll/pasta stash handy. Last laugh, etc.

susepic

You’ll be burning the loo roll to keep warm and boil the pasta then…..;)

susepic

You kinda hope that the UK would get given a free pass by the Ruski enemy to keep the oligarchs comfortable

martinhutch

This is STW. I has woodburner.

If the power goes off, will the shops be able to open?

olly2097
    Free Member

A couple of power banks and the woodburner to cook beans on and spuds in.

I’ll tell the kids it’s a fun and rustic way of life.

Klunk
    Free Member

I’ve started downloading the internet in preparation all I need now is a genset and 400 litres of diesel.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’ve started downloading the internet in preparation all I need now is a genset and 400 litres of diesel.

Do you not have a newsagents nearby? Always keep a paper backup!

dyna-ti

I’ll be stocking up on a few gas canisters for my lantern. That will be the sum of it.

Reading by gaslight.

mrdestructo

I’ve had to prep in China for sudden month-long covid lockdowns where we struggle to get food/medicine into our communities. It’s just a fact of life here.

We have one district with 450,000 residents in my city where most didn’t prep. Lots couldn’t (no kitchens) and others were young and ate out three times a day (cultural thing). I saw video of army personnel being brought in to help assist with running communities there. There were definite signs of lack of staff. Many delivery drivers caught covid. Volunteers for testing werent enough and thyley struggled to get suitable paces to sleep, let alone enough food.

We are going to get down to maybe +2C here in winter, and damp. I asked my parents back home if they’d considered reversing having converted their real fireplace into gas. They can then store firewood and candles to cover emergencies. They won’t. Probably because of their beige carpet. But if your electricity and gas turn off, burning things for light and heat is the last resort (and something we used to do)

How many old people have typically died from cold-related issues every year in the UK? 55,000? How many extra die if you lose electricity/gas in winter?

towzer

No.

(*first two houses were off mains leccy, gas and water and miles from the nearest shop), old habits die hard so candles, gas cylinders, tins, etc, much easier with wider range of todays options.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Already got a couple of hitchhikers in the cellar. Chainsaw sharpened, chest freezer hooked up to the genny. Good to go.

bedmaker

I’ll maybe weld up a rocket stove or two this weekend…

molgrips
    Free Member

I can probably get the house warm by putting my turbo trainer in the kitchen. We’ll have to take turns.

JAG

When I were a lad we had the three-day-week (early 1970’s) when the power went off around 6pm in the evening and came back on the next morning.

My Dad spent all day charging up all the 12v car batteries we owned. In the afternoon he hooked them up to all the spare headlight units we had around us. Our house was lit up quite well – we just had to find a game to play or a book to read.

We had gas fires for heating and it all seemed like a great adventure – I was about 5 years old :o)

I still have gas for heating as well as a wood pile and an open fire. Just gotta figure out how to remain entertained.

willard

We have about 5 years of wood stored in the shed and another 3 or 4 outside seasoning, so good to go for heat/light, the fibre router is on a UPS, but that might mean I have to start rationing the internet. I wonder if there is a way for me to hook the turbo to it to keep it topped up

MoreCashThanDash

If the power goes off, will the shops be able to open?

Not if they have automatic doors…..

Olly
    Free Member

Got to do a big shop in the coming days. No harm in hitting the Tinned food and dried pasta harder than ususal and putting it at the back?
    I keep a folding saw in the van anyway, might start keeping a more active eye open for fallen deadwood
    What else can you do?

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m not particularly worried about us, we have enough camping gear to keep going and tend to stock up on non perishables anyway.

The bigger picture here is that a week long power cut is indicative of something bigger at fault. That’s grid collapse and black start with no means of starting up (out of gas?).

the-muffin-man

I’m prepping – I could easily survive a week on the blubber around my waist!! 🤣🤣

It’s all you skinny ones who have to worry!

white101

During the 70’s blackouts we lived in a house without central heating and used paraffin heaters, is that stuff still available cos I’m pretty sure my old man will still have the heaters in his garage.

the-muffin-man

used paraffin heaters, is that stuff still available cos I’m pretty sure my old man will still have the heaters in his garage.

Greenhouse heaters – available from any garden centre.

Paraffin is widely available too – B&Q will have it and most ‘home’ stores.

ads678

I’ve got a gas barbecue, a big bottle of propane and a barbecue top pizza oven, so will be ok for cooking. we’ll just have to wear our ski gear if it gets cold.

JAG

I’d be very careful with Paraffin Heaters indoors – Carbon Monoxide?

matt_outandabout

I have warm duvet and warm clothes.
    I have a box of 48 gas cannisters and camping stove for DofE in the shed.
    I have a pile of wood and a chimnea.
    We have a fair few tins of food – and a lot of dried food.

slackboy

I have warm duvet and warm clothes.
    I have a box of 48 gas cannisters and camping stove for DofE in the shed.
    I have a pile of wood and a chimnea.
    We have a fair few tins of food – and a lot of dried food.

Damn. I’ve only got a misplaced sense of confidence in government and an overdeveloped complacency gland.

IdleJon

willard
    We have about 5 years of wood stored in the shed and another 3 or 4 outside seasoning,

How many people (who own woodburners and vans) just started internet stalking willard to find out where his woodshed is? 😀

matt_outandabout

overdeveloped complacency gland.

Oh, I have that too. My ‘resourcing’ is pure coincidence.

intheborders
    Free Member

Late 50’s here, and remember the mid 70’s.

Life expectancy was 10 years less than it is now, is that something else we’re going back to?

montgomery
    Free Member

paraffin heaters, is that stuff still available

Yup, got a couple of tetrapaks for the paraffin lantern I bought two months ago anticipating exactly this scenario. Good for drivetrain cleaning, too…

Stored with the tetrapaks of meths for my stove, next to the crate full of candles.

willard

How many people (who own woodburners and vans) just started internet stalking willard to find out where his woodshed is

But, more seriously, STW members are mostly always welcome if you are in the area. We have tea and (usually) cake.

matt_outandabout

How many people (who own woodburners and vans) just started internet stalking willard to find out where his woodshed is

@McMoonter
    has your back.

IdleJon

We have tea and (usually) cake.

I’m there already! 😀

slackboy

We have tea and (usually) cake.

I’m there already! 😀

Careful its just a cunning ruse to stock up on:

Already got a couple of hitchhikers in the cellar. Chainsaw sharpened, chest freezer hooked up to the genny. Good to go.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.