Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Remedy for Enduro?
  • eyestwice
    Free Member

Has anyone got any experience? I’m pretty much decided on one (2021 Remedy 8 XT) as an all-rounder but the geo chart shows it as much shorter than the Aeris that I’m coming from.

That said, Enduro Mag rate it highly, saying that it feels much longer than it is.

Bearing in mind that I’ll probably now be buying in lockdown and unable to test ride, I thought I’d reach out on here.

titusrider
    Free Member

Been delighted with mine, done well in some local enduro racing but some thoughts.

– I upsized based on treks recommendation to get more reach but have little standover
    – it’s a fun, popable, flickable bike
    – it’s got enough travel to steamroller stuff but it’s not really what it’s for.
    – it climbs amazingly and I’ll happily do 50+k on it in a day

The pink bike video review absolutely nails what it is and who it’s best for. (Rider who enjoys climbing, picks lines etc)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCq7k7VFwDJ/?igshid=vob9pqcjgtzc

eyestwice
    Free Member

Interesting that, thanks. I’m thinking the same, I’m at the top end of an ML for the Bird but thinking that an L in the Remedy is the way to go?

titusrider
    Free Member

Makes some sense, I’m 5’6 and should be on a medium but went for M/L . Got more seat post drop by upgrading to this years new fox transfer which helps.

Northwind

I haven’t ridden the latest one but it’ll do the job and be good at it. Perfect for you? No way to say. I love mine but it’s a museum piece and not really relevant to the latest ones.

Also,

<looks to see if GW is currently banned or not>

The most succesful enduro race bike of all time is the Remedy 29.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Haha, thanks. I’m keen to stick with 27.5 because a) it suits me and b) I have a brand new set of Ohlins to go on. Thankfully I didn’t fit them before my bikes got nicked.

That’s all reassured me, thanks guys.

walleater

I’ve had a Remedy 8 and 9.8 and agree with above comments. It’s not an Enduro RACE bike, but it’ll get you down some gnarly lines and you’ll have fun doing it. They have nice neutral steering (no floppiness or annoying slow speed over-steer) so while there’s slacker bikes out there they are still confidence inspiring. Depends if you want a high speed ‘plough’ bike, or something that is still fast enough but arguably more fun.

eyestwice
    Free Member

@walleater Thanks. There’s a fair bit of downhill in my local trails but I don’t need a ‘race’ bike as such. I just want to enter the odd enduro, maybe 3 – 4 times a year once events are back up and running.

Lots of downhill obviously = lots of uphill too.

I’m just concerned by the geo compared to the Aeris. But the Remedy supposedly doesn’t ride as short as it is on paper. And it does have the travel for an enduro bike…

And also, I had to change my riding style quite a lot for a longer bike. Maybe I’m obsessing too much and a shorter bike will let me ride as I used to without worrying so much about front wheel weighting (thinking out loud now).

speedstar

I have to say the slash is a phenomenal bike and can still be ridden all day. I would try and demo both personally but doubt you will go wrong either way.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Thanks @speedstar. I did consider the Slash but I just don’t like 29 as much as I do 27.5. Lovely bike though and I’d be sorely tempted otherwise.

spicer
    Free Member

I’m on an Aeris now (ML at 5ft 10″), from my 2016 Medium Remedy which was too short for me (nearly 10cm shorter than the Aeris). Albeit the new remedy is definitely different to my slightly older one, the remedy was a lot more playful and capable riding up than the Aeris. You could actually attack the climbs a bit whereas on the Aeris I settle in an easy gear and spin up.

It was definitely a bit sketchier on the descents- the Aeris can plough over everything. I think the bike needed to be worked a bit more, but was really rewarding as it was easier to pop off stuff, hop over roots etc whereas the Aeris seems to prefer to plough over things. I think a lot of that is the extra length- being further over the front on the Aeris due to the extra length makes it harder to bunnyhop. I personally think my ML is a tiny bit too long, and the bike would be a bit more fun a bit shorter, but the length and slack head angle definitely gives is great stability (and I’ve never gone OTB, which I used to do on the remedy all the time!). The HA on the Remedy was always a bit steep too

Maybe this depends on your riding style; if you can pop and hop over anything on the trail that’ll slow you down I think the remedy would be great. If you prefer to plough on through the Aeris might be better suited?

joebristol

It ridden a Remedy but I had an Aeris 145 in ML at 5’9 and I always found I had to try really hard to weight the front wheel for grip. I guess a more aggressive riding style than I previously had. I think if I’d gone medium it would have worked better for me as I have fairly short arms vs my height / leg length.

I swapped the frame out for a Medium Aether and I love it. Still need to weight the front wheel but nowhere near as much as the Aeris.

So moving that to the Remedy if it’s a little shorter than the Aeris I think you’ll find it a bit more playful and easier on the front wheel grip. Out and out speed on difficult enduro trails may well be slower though (probably not by much though if it gives you more front wheel confidence and therefore you corner quicker).

Edit – I know 2 people with the alloy Remedy from a couple of years ago (think 2018 model)and they both loved theirs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Remedy for Enduro?’ is closed to new replies.