• This topic has 73 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by taffy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Remarrying after being widowed
  • loddrik
    Free Member

How soon is acceptable? Listening to the 5live phone in and I’m surprised by hearing people losing a partner and being rightly devastated, only to hear they remarried a couple of years later.

I can’t help thinking that it seems really soon. I hope I’m never in that position but I’m pretty sure if I lost my wife I’d never remarry, never mind within a couple of years.

scruff9252

Whenever feels right surely.

Jamie
    Free Member

Guess you’ll never know till it happens to you. No set rules, really.

I imagine for everyone that remarries in a couple of years, there is an equal amount that don’t.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes it’s a sensitive subject. A good mate of mine died and his wife was with someone else within a few months, it has never sat easily with me. The alternative argument is that the person is gone and whilst their memory lives on its time for those still around to move on. Re-marrying shows that the experience must have been a good one so it can be seen as an endorsement of the earlier relationship. Impossible to generalise I think.

thegreatape
    Free Member

A friend of mine lost his wife to cancer about 3 years ago, aged late thirties, three boys under 10. He remarried a couple of weeks ago. Never went looking for it, just happened to meet his new wife on a work trip, and there they are. There’s no right or wrong, everyone and every situation is different, plus you never know what’s around the corner.

binners

Theres no time limit. I’d say most people fall in love when they least expect it.

Would you want someone you loved to reject the chance to be happy, and remain lonely instead, out of some misguided mark of respect? Or to have a chance to live out their life happy and fulfilled?

If you loved them, you’d want the latter

murf
    Free Member

My cousin died of MND a couple of years ago, her husband had remarried within 18 months.
    It seemed pretty soon to me but I guess he had had a long time to come to terms with her illness and subsequent passing.
    Can’t judge till you’ve been faced with the same situation I guess 🙁

maccruiskeen

I hope I’m never in that position

I hope I’m never in the position where I make decisions based on other peoples expectations instead of my own needs.

Meaningful relationships happen when they happen, not when you think you’re ready for them or when anyone else thinks they’re appropriate

BoardinBob

I can’t help thinking that it seems really soon

I didn’t think you were bothered about excessive speed 😉

scaredypants

Don’t see why people should remain lonely for appearances sake; there’s plenty of people unfaithful to living partners

’til death do us part, then move on with your life, unless you feel your loving wife would prefer you to be miserable after she’s gone.

thegreatape
    Free Member

^ back of the net boardinbob

towzer

up to the parties concerned.

Having seen the stats on elderly people and loneliness (and seeing my dad who is now alone after 53 years) my personal opinion is good for them.

I can also assure you my position on a few things has changed since seeing my parents get older and experiencing death, alzheimers and the general frailty, health etc complications that tend to come along.

br
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking

Why you are listening to 5Live…

But then you are a Cabbie 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

I think it depends how long the bereaved has to get over it. A couple of people I know have lost partners after long illnesses and have been with someone else quite soon, I guess if you come to terms with it, maybe have the “I want you to be happy after I’m gone” conversation before tbey die, you move on with life quicker than a sudden unexpected loss.

binners

I suppose it matters how they died too. And if the body was ever found

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Depends if you shot her 4 times through a toilet door or not! Old bouncy feet has got himself a new partner according to the news. He must be inconsolable in his grief.

5thElefant
    Free Member

A friends mother married the vicar who did her husbands funeral service.

hora
    Free Member

Depends how strong the relationship was and what that person meant to them.

I know girls that’ll jump straight onto match/POF etc within the week of a breakup and be sleeping with someone on the first date. I imagine those types wouldn’t grieve for that long. Well they ‘deserve to move on’.

Then there are others who lose the person who was their soulmate.

I like to think mrshora would have me stuffed with a bible in hand to be placed in the corner of the bedroom.

Either that or she becomes a Nun. To be honest though I’d prefer that she was buried with me along with my DVD’s, alcohol and chariot for the afterlife.

binners

Maybe you could do the Viking longboat thing where they push her out to sea, with your body and all your possessions, in a burning floating pyre?

*makes note to specifically request this in my will*

curiousyellow
    Free Member

If you have children what do you do about your dead partner’s family? You can’t just cut them out.

But then you have to put up with 2 sets of in-laws at Christmas.

konabunny
    Free Member

5thElefant – Member
    A friends mother married the vicar who did her husbands funeral service.
    POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # REPORT-POST

he presumably didn’t combine the two services, though…?

hora
    Free Member

Wow, so he took advantage of a vunerable woman possibly?

Jamie
    Free Member

I didn’t think you were bothered about excessive speed

Boosh!

stealthcat

I don’t think you can really generalise on this one – as above, if the partner/spouse died after a long illness, I think the grieving starts before the person has died, as well as the fact that the one who dies may not want the survivor to be lonely. Before my mother died, she had several conversations with me, and I suspect my father, about the fact that she wanted him to find someone else and not sit around moping on his own. He’s now at the start of a relationship with a very old friend of his whose husband had died a couple of years before my mother did, and is happier than he had been since my mother was diagnosed, so I’m all for it – he’s got an interest in life again, is out doing things, and there is someone in his life who might be able to convince him he’s being stupid if necessary (he’s not the kind of person who really takes advice from his children, because they are too young to know anything!)

hora
    Free Member

TBH- when someone close has died, you’d always be in their thoughts and heart. Grieving continues long after death.

I remember seeing birthday balloons tied to a lampost. Kinda speaks for itself no?

You’ll always be in her heart. Sadly someone else will be ontop of her in your old bed though 😯

jekkyl

However you happen to find yourself single there is a primal urge that drives everyone to find a partner. It’s to do with those bits between your legs.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Wow, so he took advantage of a vunerable woman possibly?

You can’t hang around when you’re in your 80s!

yunki
    Free Member

My old dear met her present husband at his wife’s funeral..

I say met, they’d actually met in their late teens, early 20s as he’d known my dad but the funeral was the first time they’d seen each other in many years..

To be fair, they didn’t marry for about 7 years after the funeral, but they were definitely bunking up within a year.. He’s a vegan though, and looks like Captain Birdseye, need I say more?

hora
    Free Member

The saucy old seadog. Did he have fishfingers?

dbcooper
    Free Member

If I died first, I would want my husband to find a new partner as soon as possible. Loving someone is about wanting them to be happy.

cbike
    Free Member

Life goes on. I’ve got a chum who lost his childhood sweetheart to cancer. And now he has a new lady and they are so much in love. (I also suspect he was instructed to find a new lady by his wife or else!)

hora
    Free Member

On a serious note. Agree. I’ve told mrshora’s sister in private that if I was to die my partner could chose what to do and when and I’d be happy with that. Why should someone sit miserable for the rest of their life? What a horrible selfish thought if you thought otherwise. You’ve got bigger worries- i.e. death and if theres something after it on your plate.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Depends how strong the relationship was and what that person meant to them.

Offensive, simplistic bollox!

(EDIT: Just seen Hora’s subsequent post, which makes more sense, but my reaction to original statement remains)

Mrs mW is terminally ill and while she is alive I will do everything I can to make her remaining time with me as happy, comfortable and fulfilling as it can possibly be. When she dies I don’t honestly know how hard it will hit me or for how long I will feel governed by that grief. I have a suspicion that due to the length of the illness and the fact that i seemed to spend a long time coming to terms with the reality at the time of the original diagnosis that the transition might not hit me as heavily as if the death had been a sudden one but I won’t really know until it happens.

What I am sure about is that neither of us would want the other to waste a moment of their life. In the same way that I would glady do everything and anything for her now, it’s her wish that I shouldn’t waste time moping around once she’s gone. It might be that i don’t meet anyone else for years if at all which would be fine as up unit recently I was happier than anyone can realistically expect to be. The concept that there should be some kind of ‘holding period’ to satisfy the feeling of people that remain some distance from the real emotions is one that i have no intention of adhering to.

hora
    Free Member

I can’t even imagine what you are going through. How long have you been together?

Drac

Seems petty to get annoyed for someone marrying sooner than you think is ok. I reckon you should allow a 10% margin.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I can’t even imagine what you are going through.

Well, unless you both die in an accident or you decide to end it like star crossed lovers in a joint suicide pact, either you or your partner are going to have to deal with something similar one day. The only way to cheat that emotion is to either die first or never form close relationships, neither of which sounds like a winning scenario.

How long have you been together?

We’ve known each other for 30 years, although actually in a relationship for 25.

hora
    Free Member

Man. I’ve been with mrshora since I was 18 (23yrs).

slowoldgit
    Free Member

From experience, it can take a while to climb out of the dark place you may find yourself in. Say three years before you even think of looking around, which would be about ten percent.

jamj1974

Deleted – wasn’t making a clear point!

alpin
    Free Member

very sobering, Muppet…

getting dusty in here. enjoy life!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Remarrying after being widowed’ is closed to new replies.