Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • remakes of films that were actually ok to watch.
  • racefaceec90

just watched the evil dead remake and thought it was actually pretty good tbh (apart from the ending which was rubbish imho).

they respected the original film but also didn’t do a carbon copy of it either.

the cinematography was good,and the setting looked good as well.

i’ll give it 7 out of 10

hora
    Free Member

Dredd

Danny79
    Free Member

Scarface (1983 version) not seen the original though so don’t know if that counts?

grievoustim
    Free Member

I thouroughly enjoyed the Evil Dead remake – different vibe whilst still being scary and funny

The Thing remake/ prequal was ok ish

I’ll state all the obvious ones shall I?

Magnificent 7
    A Fistful of Dollars
    the Departed

The US remake of Breathless with Richard Gear is pretty good fun (or was when I saw it on Moviedrome many years ago)

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

The Birdcage. Agadore Spartacus… 😆

llama

magnificent 7

anagallis_arvensis

Magnificent 7
    A Fistful of Dollars
    the Departed

I would class these as re-imaginings (for wont of a better word) rather than remakes.

ads678

Heat – does that count?

anagallis_arvensis

True Grit remake was OK, although it should have been it was almost exactly the same.

anagallis_arvensis

3.10 to Yuma remake was better than the original

DezB
    Free Member

Cat People (not seen the original)

RustySpanner

The 39 Steps remakes, Kenneth Moore & Robert Powell were pretty good.

Hitckcock’s remakes of his own films were often pretty decent too.

wukfit
    Free Member

Mean machine, having Danny Dyer in it may have even made it better 🙂

squirrelking
    Free Member

Dawn of the Dead was pretty good if you ignore some of the blatant stupidity on display.

Gone in Sixty Seconds (original is pretty meh).

Northwind

Got to distinguish between remakes and resets/new films with the same theme/characters I think. Like, Robocop, Dredd, Conan- not remakes. True Grit- remake.

How about Cape Fear? I’ve not seen the original mind.

sbob
    Free Member

Gone in Sixty Seconds (original is pretty meh).

The original doesn’t have Nicholas Cage in it so gets my vote.

DezB
    Free Member

How about Cape Fear? I’ve not seen the original mind

Definitely watchable. Not quite as good as the original though.

zilog6128

Got to distinguish between remakes and resets/new films with the same theme/characters I think. Like, Robocop, Dredd, Conan- not remakes. True Grit- remake.

Yeah, stuff like Dredd obviously not a remake. Scarface isn’t a remake either although there was an earlier film with the same name. Looking forward to watching Robocop though; the original is one of my favourite films.

I can see the merit in remaking very old films like 3.10 to Yuma (really enjoyed the remake) but not so much with relatively recent films like Evil Dead (enjoyed it, agree about slightly dodgy ending, but also thought – what was the point?)

I have liked a lot of the updates to old films/tv shows that have been half homage/half parody though – was laughing all the way through Starsky & Hutch and 21 Jump Street and found the A-Team very entertaining (crap ending though). Would love to see a Thunder in Paradise or Airwolf movie and I believe there’s a Knight Rider one on the way!

wukfit
    Free Member

Zilog, don’t forget Dukes of Hazard

I’ve seen the Total Recall remake, but can’t actually remember if it was any good 😕

zilog6128

haha, was going to mention that; it’s a shite film but yeah I weirdly enjoyed it too! Total Recall is actually ok IMO, slightly ambiguous ending which was interesting.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cape Fear – I prefer the remake, brilliant film, though not quite a remake as certain aspects are different – morally it’s more grey.

The Romero “Dead” (Shopping Mall) one also

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

ads678 – Member
    Heat – does that count?

as it was pretty much scene-for-scene of his own film (LA Takedown?) it counts

pondo

Mean machine, having Danny Dyer in it may have even made it better

I actually quite like the footie Mean Machine (Danny Dyer is a ****t however – and yes, I know he knows he’s a ****t, and that should make him a legend, but no, it just makes him a ****t), but the original is still the better film, I reckon. Even Adam Sandler’s remake is pretty good.

Big fan of The Amazing Spiderman over Spiderman, and The Hulk With Edward Norton In over The Hulk With Erik Bana In.

back2basics
    Free Member

true grit
    3.10 to yuma

martinhutch

Hairspray. Second one is better. John Travolta in drag dancing with Christopher Walken…

Hmmm. Have just admitted watching two versions of Hairspray. 😳

Squidlord
    Free Member

The Fly

MrSmith
    Free Member

Scarface.

garage-dweller

Flight of the Phoenix

Surprisingly true to the original.

PrinceJohn

The Thing remake/ prequal

Don’t forget the 1982 film was itself a ‘remake’ of a film from the 50s, The Fly follows a similar theme.

I’ve seen the Total Recall remake, but can’t actually remember if it was any good

No it was rubbish.

The Fright Night remake was quite fun.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘remakes of films that were actually ok to watch.’ is closed to new replies.