• This topic has 159 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)
  • Religion. Again.
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

There’s a gay couple up the road who own a retired ambulance. It’s got rainbow flowers painted on it and the signage has been altered to read “AMBIANCE” \o/

That sounds lovely, apart from the picture of the business end of a birth.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If he were talking to us directly now, would he say the same things? A lot of people would say no.

These people need to look up the meaning of the word infallible.

Its just more fudging that they do because the believers dont even agree with the book.

Isaiah is a prophet. I think there sentence says this anyway so I am not sure why you asked.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The Truth just expressing the thought that contemplation of any work of spiritual teachings by someone with belief in their foundation can lead to a deep personal understanding of their place in the Universe and perhaps even enlightenment.

Wibble blah blah.

So, still nothing actually meaningful, then. What a surprise.

neilthewheel

In Biblical times God had no trouble communicating with His creation. He even managed to issue Noah with a complete design spec for an ark. Now he can’t even give us a straight yes or no answer on whether it’s ok to take it up the wrong ‘un.

miketually
    Free Member

Thing is hospitals have many care providors and not all of them may refuse through religous grounds to treat gay people.

There are many hospitals in Ireland, all of which refuse abortions on religious grounds.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Wibble blah blah.

So, still nothing actually meaningful, then. What a surprise

Nothing meaningful to you, that’s where there’s no surprise

Northwind

hilldodger – Member

contemplation of any work of spiritual teachings by someone with belief in their foundation can lead to a deep personal understanding of their place in what is known as, PARKLIFE

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

paulhaycraft

As a Christian I have many of the questions that have been chucked about above and others, some of which I have an answer I can live with some of which I wish I had an answer for and some I don’t think matter that much (except in a theological debate).

In answer to the OP I can’t think why a doctor wouldn’t want to treat a gay patient. Doesn’t make any sense to me. I do, however think that’s quite different to performing abortions.

In (somewhat) agreement to one of the posts above, I do think that the most important message from the Bible is that of loving God and loving your neighbour. Sometimes I think we need a factory reset; start from that point and work the rest out from there.

miketually
    Free Member

I do think that the most important message from the Bible is that of loving God and loving your neighbour.

I think Jesus thought the same 🙂

paulhaycraft

I do think that the most important message from the Bible is that of loving God and loving your neighbour.

I think Jesus thought the same [/quote]

Phew!

paulhaycraft

He was better at quoting than me though! 😀

hilldodger
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

what is known as, PARKLIFE

or you could try formulating your own thoughts instead of vox-popping 😉

but then this is the court of the cut’n’paste king

molgrips
    Free Member

These people need to look up the meaning of the word infallible.

Not at all. Even if you are infallible it certainly makes sense to give different instructions to different groups of people who live in different societies and times. And as said, even if you give infallible instructions to someone doesn’t mean they are going to record it properly.

Mackem

Even if there is a God, why is he deserving of worship? Seems an utter **** to me.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Even if there is a God, why is he deserving of worship? Seems an utter **** to me.

So you have an opinion on a deity figure whose existence you doubt – interesting, or did you just want to get sweary on the internet

hora
    Free Member

Ok folks what if my son is at school and they want to teach him about same sex relationships. Is this ok?

(It’ll never happen as its a religious school)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

+1000.

Mackem

..I know God doesnt exist, but plenty of people disagree. I cant understand why these worship something that doesnt seem to do any good.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ok folks what if my son is at school and they want to teach him about same sex relationships. Is this ok?

obviously – even if only from the point of view as to why same-sex people are attracted to each other when looking at nature you would think it was a counterproductive arrangement.

Religious teachings should have no place at a school, or even at home until the child is of an age where they can make their own mind up without indoctrination from their parents.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

How do we know which parts of the bible are true/the word of god when you have deuteronomy 18:22 :

http://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/18-22.htm

…21″You may say in your heart, ‘How will we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?’ 22″When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

?

hilldodger
    Free Member

How do we know which parts of the bible are true/the word of god …..

If you don’t believe in god, then it doesn’t matter does it ?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was just interested to see if the bible can be decomposed into which directives where written by phophets (who weren’t lying) and therefore are the actual ‘word of god’, and which of these directives have been reinterpreted for modern times?

gonefishin
    Free Member

I was just interested to see if the bible can be decomposed into which directives where written by phophets (who weren’t lying) and therefore are the actual ‘word of god’, and which of these directives have been reinterpreted for modern times

Given the date when a lot of it was written, the number of different languages it has been translated through, the number of different versions there has been and the number of different books that have been excluded, I’d have to go with 100% of it being reinterpreted for “modern” times. Of couse in this context modern goes back a very long way.

Cougar

In what context? I don’t remember being taught about different-sex relationships when I was at school, let alone same-sex ones. What’s your concern here, that they’re trying to sneak “Bumming 101” into the curriculum?

If a school wants to teach about same-sex relationships if the framework of “hey kids, it’s not nice to discriminate against people who are a bit different to yourself; and if you discover later in life that you’re differently oriented from the majority then that’s ok too” then I’d be very much in favour of that. From my memories of schooldays (and no doubt the memories of anyone who happened to be fat thin / tall / short / ginger / geeky / spotty / bespectacled / in some other way not identical to everyone else), it’s a lesson many kids could do to learn.

He’s your son not mine though, so I probably care considerably less than you do. Why not tell us what you think rather than posing JHJ-esque questions?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’d have to go with 100% of it being reinterpreted for “modern” times. Of couse in this context modern goes back a very long way.

or does it as the Earth is 4.6 Billion years old and the Universe is 13.8 billion years old.

So how come something that God prescribed only VERY recently (within his timeframe) is being reinterpreted so quickly?

Surely he won’t have changed his mind so quickly – and if he has he should have sent us a recent prophet to record this fact.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

In what context? I don’t remember being taught about different-sex relationships when I was at school, let alone same-sex ones. What’s your concern here, that they’re trying to sneak “Bumming 101” into the curriculum?

Did you not do biology, pretty sure there was some coverage there?

Cougar

Did you not do biology, pretty sure there was some coverage there?

I dropped Biology when I took my Options so only did it for a couple of years. I don’t remember it ever including relationship advice though, and I’m not entirely sure that it should do, that sounds like a bit of a shoehorn. We’ll be teaching Creationism in Science lessons next. (-:

I suppose where it could / should appear is Sex Ed, but again I don’t recall much being discussed back then beyond reproductive mechanics and learning how not to catch AIDS, galloping knobrot or, most terrifying of all when you’re 14, babies. I don’t think they even taught how to do it, though generations of teens and 20-somethings seem to have been able to work it out fairly consistently over the years. Perhaps there’s instructional videos on the Internet or something.

So yeah, maybe times have changed, or maybe it’s just an oversight; maybe relationship advice should be part of the curriculum? I do worry (in the sort of way that a non-parent does, which is somewhere slightly above “not at all”) that there’s too much focus on academia and not enough on providing life skills. What’s going to be more use to most school leavers, Trigonometry or How to Find a Mortgage? To be able to order dinner in French, or actually be able to cook it yourself?

Northwind

hora – Member

Of course. Well as long as it’s theoretical not practical.

Junkyard
    Free Member

WONT SOMEONE THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN?
    I introduced him to gay friends and we had a chat about it . It was really complicated….

You know how you have mummy and a daddy well some people just have a daddy and a daddy and some people have a mummy and a mummy.

Him OK

I hope he survives the trauma of such knowledge

IMHO sex education should not be done in school but we end up abdicating our parental responsibility as far too many people are too uncomfortable or uptight to be able to deal with it, the parents that is not the kids.

yes I hope the school mention same sex relationships to my kids and I hope they teach them they are of equal worth.
    I hoe they teach my kid not to be a bigot just as I do the same

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Aren’t these guys literally interpreting the ‘word of god’ as written by their prophets, rather than a modern interpretation of those words?

if that is the case who is to say they are wrong – where is the evidence that god has actually changed his mind somewhat? Why should they believe the people that did the reinterpretation if they are not prophets themselves?

D0NK

So you have an opinion on a deity figure whose existence you doubt – interesting,

seems about right to me, looking at the state of the world (and religion in it) either god A, doesn’t exist B isn’t omniscient/omnipotent (so not actually God as advertised then) or C doesn’t care. If it’s A or B he can safely be ignored, if it’s C then Mackem is probably right

Perhaps there’s instructional videos on the Internet or something.

I’ve seen a few, generally they tend to be of the catholic persuasion.

miketually
    Free Member

maybe relationship advice should be part of the curriculum?

Sex and Relationship Education (SRE) is part of the curriculum and, in most schools, starts in Reception.

Cougar

Wow. You’d think think they’d at least let them get to a classroom first.

project
    Free Member

thatcher the ex failed priminster must be gutted clause 28 got overturned and now same sex relations are being seen as more acceptable amongst certain parts of society. and the catholic church must be hating every same sex relationshjip that starts up.

About time most churches wehere closed down and rebuilt into starter flats for homeless people or those on low incomes, instead of the building staying closed 6 days a week, and then only a few turning up to chant various lines out of the bible.

molgrips
    Free Member

I cant understand why these worship something that doesnt seem to do any good.

I dunno about that. If God does exist as per the Bible then he created trails, forests, skies, warm summer sun, beaches, beautiful women, cute bunnies etc etc. As well as all the bad stuff ofc. Of course, people might say that God gave us free will and we then created wars and violence, but that doesn’t account for ebola and cancer…

A, doesn’t exist B isn’t omniscient/omnipotent (so not actually God as advertised then) or C doesn’t care

D is testing us
    E is doing a big experiment

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

thatcher the ex failed priminster

does that mean she is now regarded as succeeding ?

slowoldman

thatcher the ex failed priminster must be gutted

From beyond the grave eh? So you’re religious then?

D0NK

D is testing us
    E is doing a big experiment

again, see mackem’s verdict.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Religion. Again.’ is closed to new replies.