• This topic has 56 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Relief from unbearable toothache?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

I can’t get to the dentist till Monday and have unbelievably painful toothache. Apart from popping paracetamol every four hours, is there anything I can do to ease the pain a bit? I’ve never had toothache before and now can fully understand why people complain when they have it.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

If it’s an abcess then rinsing your mouth out with warm salt water can help to draw any crap out and help to relieve the pain a little.

bearnecessities

Clove oil.

tjagain

there will be an emergency dentist available – check your local NHS site. Probably just pull the tooth tho although you might get antibiotics. Pharmacists will have better pain relief available as well. Ibuprofen can be taken alongside paracetomol IIRC and maybe codine as well ( I ain’t a doctor and medical advice off the internet is worth what yo paid for it 😉

At a minimum get to a pharmacist and get their advice. they have stronger painkillers available than over the counter stuff

km79
    Free Member

plus

jambourgie
    Free Member

Clove Oil +1

Works like magic, but go easy on it, think I read somewhere that it damages gums. But IANAD.

Or just an actual clove will work.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Anti biotics, co-codamol and ibuprofen cured my tooth ache. The tooth is coming out on Monday 😯

cp

NHS 111 will probably get you in somewhere.

survivor

1+ for clove oil

Completely eased pain I had that paracetamol, ibuprofen and even tramadol(was desperate by then) didn’t touch.

Worth a try

choppersquad
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.
    Went to the emergency NHS dentist this morning who drilled a massive filling out to see what the tooth looked like underneath it? X-ray was no help so he re filled it and told me to go back to my dentist if the pain didn’t go away where the answer would be root canal (not really sure what that entails?) or removal. The service from the NHS was pretty great to be fair and they only charged me £19.70. Just a shame it didn’t sort it out.

jekkyl

I know that hurt bud and it is not nice. For temporary relief swill warm or cold water around it, whichever is more effective for you.

jabbi
    Free Member

Not good! Half a bottle of Vodka and a couple of bongs! Won’t do much for the pain, but you’ll get some sleep!

spennyy
    Free Member

Root canal isnt so bad, if I told you what they do it sounds really bad

jonba
    Free Member

No idea if it will kill you but when I had issues I used bonjela and TCP as I would for a bad mouth ulcer.

I also think you can mix ibuprofen and paracetamol as one is bad for the stomach and the other the liver? But I’m not a doctor…

wilburt
    Free Member

Co-codamol but be careful they are addictive.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambourgie – Member

Or just an actual clove will work.nup, tried that years ago, just tastes boggin.

Squirrel

Clove oil. Really.

shermer75
    Free Member

Paracetamol every four hours and neurofen plus every four hours. You can stagger this so that you are taking something every two hours. Make sure you don’t exceed the recommended dose of either, this can lead to irreversible liver damage.

submarined
    Free Member

Another vote for clove oil (they sell it in bigger Boots) and the staggered paracetamol/ibuprofen.

Fwiw, I’ve had a couple of root canals due to trauma, and they were both fine, just like a normal filling. Don’t believe the horror stories. And don’t read about what it involves.

muggomagic

co-codamol every 4 hours and ibuprofen every 6 hours really helped for me.
    Also smearing Oragel helped a lot too.

mattsccm
    Free Member

If there is an abscess, really cold water numbs it for a bit. Then you have another mouthful. Keep a bucket handy or you will be peeing all night.

BigJohn

If it’s an abcess the dentist won’t be able to do much as the anesthetic won’t work. You’d need to have a course of antibiotics first.

aide

I had root canal a few weeks ago, the thought of the needle was worse than the actual surgery ( although i am a woose when it comes to injections) clove oil does seem to numb the area well, just dont overdo it though (and as a word of warning it tastes horrid)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Tramadol, codine and a couple of strong ciders. Probably not recommended by NHS direct but worked for me last week.

choppersquad
    Free Member

You’re not wrong about the clove oil tasting horrid, but at this moment I’d swill a mouthful of petrol if it’d make this pain go away!
    Saturday bloody night, and all I can do is walk round the house groaning. Surprised no one’s told me to man up yet.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Man up princess.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Teething gel, for babies…
    Seriously!
    AS well as the heavy duty painkileers from under the counter.

doordonot
    Free Member

Oragel worker for my acute tooth ache last month. Rub on the gum and the tooth. Doesn’t need much but works instantly. I’m in the middle of a series of root canal surgeries.

ross980
    Free Member

You have my sympathy. A few years ago one of my teeth hurt constantly and anything warm or cold caused an excruciating sharp pain (even inhaling air outside). Got that bad I didn’t want to eat or drink anything. Nothing touched the pain. I had to wait over week for an ’emergency’ appointment to get root canal done. Best thing ever. Total instant pain relief (apart from during the procedure when the anesthetic injections he gave me weren’t enough – but I only found that out after he started drilling 😯 – still worth it though)

Klunk
    Free Member

go to the nearest pharmacy buy some clove oil, roll up small ball of tissue dip in the clove oil with tweezers, then place on or around the pain hold it there and repeat as required. it won’t remove the pain totally but will dull enough that you can actually think of other things. Warning it’s taste very foul at first but you will get used to it.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Sitting up at 3am and just don’t know what to do with myself?
    Feels like I’ve been kicked in the jaw repeatedly.
    Just had more painkillers so now waiting for them to kick in.
    At least it gives me the chance to check in with the Singletrack nightshift crew.

Squirrel

Did you try the clove oil?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I have a tooth that plays up considerably from time to time, I resort to codeine and have found that if I Chew gum at that spot in my mouth – initially it hurts like bu&&ery, but Weirdly it seems to improve.

I am not a gum chewer usually, but I do get it when the tooth plays up. I notice that when the tooth is playing up it feels slightly more mobile – so I’m not sure how chewing the gum helps but it really does.

I discovered this because one time the tooth was raging it became very sensitive to cold as I was riding. I stopped and bought some gum hoping to Chew a temporary cover for my journey home to keep it warm. With the gum over the dodgy tooth when I pressed down on it I notice it relieved the pain.

Odd but may be worth a mention – I too have had the filling replaced and no real issue was found. Still flares up from time to tune

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s been a few years, but ‘the weed’ used to work for me, the pain would be gone before I even exhaled.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I did get some clove oil but nearly threw up after putting it in my mouth.
    Mrs Squad was not impressed as after she bought it, it leaked in her handbag! God that stuff stinks!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I was about to add another vote for clove oil. Can you give it another go?

Someone mentioned a couple of bongs: it did work for me years ago. Amazingly targeted pain relief. It also gave me the much-needed munchies having eaten almost nothing for the previous 36 hours.

Hope it’s soon sorted. Nowt much worse than really unbearable toothache!

jambourgie
    Free Member

I found weed made my toothache much worse.

But that might have had something to do with the box of 12 Mr Kipling apple pies I subsequently troughed.

Just say no kids.

Xylene
    Free Member

Smear some cocaine on it, if it’s good blow, it will numb the pain, if it’s crap blow, it’s probably chopped with novacaine, and will numb the pain.

Either way you win.

takisawa2

Holding a paracetamol on the tooth so it dissolves was recommended by a dentist, salt water rinsing too.

Root canal is not too painful, providing they numb the gum properly.

ninfan
    Free Member

Smear some cocaine on it, if it’s good blow, it will numb the pain, if it’s crap blow, it’s probably chopped with novacaine, and will numb the pain.

Well, that’s not far off what oralgel is

http://www.boots.com/orajel-extra-strength-dental-gel-53g?storeId=11352&catalogId=28501

Lifesaver, glorious stuff that got me through a weekend of similar pain

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Relief from unbearable toothache?’ is closed to new replies.