• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Relay vs Ducato vs Boxer…. Same, same but different…?
  • alpin
    Free Member

Thinking of selling the T5 and converting a larger van.

Not having to crouch when cooking, getting dressed or just faffing would be nice. As would not having to play tetris when rummaging through drawers and units. A fixed bed would be very convenient. Oh, and obviously having the bikes permanently inside the van!
    Oh, and both being relative short arses mean I can install the bed across the back of the van (and have a garage for the bikes and other assorted crap beneath it).

So what are the key differences with Fiat, Citroën and Peugeot..? From what I can gather they all exit the same factory, but with different engine configurations.

From what I’ve seen and heard they are better for rust than the German offerings, and a darn sight cheaper, too.

Have an IVECO at work and I don’t like the cab space. Far too cramped.

Any pitfalls to be aware of?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Fiat engine and running gear is thought to be best of the bunch. Don’t expect the same ride quality as your t5, I have a Nissan NV400 which is a rebadged Renault Master.
    I like it muchly but on reflection the Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot vans are “squarer” inside and perhaps easier to fit out. They are all galvanised unlike Mercs.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You’re where we got to 4 years ago, sold the T5 for a Boxer and don’t regret it for a moment! I’m 6’2 and I sleep across mine over the garage.

Basically the Boxer and Relay are the same, bar the badges and trim details. I got the Boxer as the professional spec was better for the prices than the Citroen. The Fiat uses a Fiat engine and again different trims and badges.

Coming from my ‘08 Transporter I found the build quality OK but not amazing, but then again I paid £14k +vat brand new, which is nearly half what VW we’re after.

Mines the 2.2l PSA 130bhp engine and have no faults to report. I also own a Boxer with the 2.0 ad blue engine, which is a little quieter but other than that, identical to drive.

mattbee

Have a Boxer based motorhome. It’s definitely a more ‘van’ driving experience than the T5 (used to have one of those), more upright position, etc… and the trim is more hard plastic and basic than the VW, so can be a bit squeaky/rattly.
    Don’t notice the size when driving though, just manoeuvring in tight spaces etc (although ours is a 6m coachbuilt motorhome not a panel van).
    I was considering a L1H1 when I bought a van recently and only went for a Trafic instead as I need to be able to get into some sub 2.2m car parks for work.

phil5556

We’re doing the same this year for the same reasons.

Will keep an eye on this thread.

Plan is a lengthways bed with a small toilet cubicle next to it. It will be a basic camper but comfortable is the plan.

falkirk-mark

I converted a Relay H2L2 last year and have double bed sideways sufficiently high up to get bike under with front wheel off (just jam it in with dropper down then release to hold bike). Peugeot and citroen exactly the same but Fiat has different engine (spoke to a van dealer and he reckoned they had more trouble with the fiat) find it ok to drive but cannot comment on VW.

jonesyboy

Just got a Citroen today on order, l3h2 With additional drivers pack for £22k Inc vat. Old one has done 100k in three years and it’s been superb, apart from the fag lighter no longer powering phone charger.

You can have a lot of these for the price of a transporter, ok the resale is a bit gash but at least you don’t have to wave at every tw*t in a transporter and be part of the club 😁

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Just got a Citroen today on order, l3h2 With additional drivers pack for £22k Inc vat.

Wow, they’ve gone up a lot! I paid £17,600 inc. VAT 3 years ago for our L3H2 Boxer professional with SatNav, leather pack, heated seats, fog lights, electric mirrors, mud flaps, bulk head removed, uprated battery and tyres.

RustyNissanPrairie

Fiat is an Iveco engine, Pug and Citroen are a PSA engine (aka Ford Transit).

Our Fiat Relay works engineering/maintenance/pool van has been horribly abused and neglected and is still running great. The fully galvanized detail is the biggest plus point – this is from someone who owns his own Transit.

tillydog
    Free Member

If you’re getting a new van, you can get different sets of options from different manufacturers – I think that the lists may have changed recently, but (for example) you used to be able to specify a glazed side door on a Boxer or Ducato, but not on a Relay. The Relays used to come with a shelf over the windscreen that wasn’t available on Ducatos; You could only specify an automatic gearbox box on a Ducato, etc.

The engines are all on the change for euro 6D compliance, I believe.

PePPeR

If you blow the fuse for the cigarette lighter, its in the fuse box under the bonnet. Royal pain..

alpin
    Free Member

So far so good… But I’m still none the wiser as to which to buy.

I’ve seen new Ducato for 19K€,although not sure I the options….

damascus
    Free Member

Hi.

Thread revive.

I’m thinking of selling my vw t5 campervan and buying a bigger van to convert. (insert stealth add here)

How are you all getting on with them?

Anyone moved from a t5/6 to a relay, boxer or ducato?

Which is the best one to go for of you had to pick?

Thanks

phil5556

Anyone moved from a t5/6 to a relay, boxer or ducato?

T5 to Relay here.

We finished ours in April and have had over 60 nights in it. The extra space, being able to stand, having a permanent bed and have a shower in the van has been a total game changer.

The van itself has been faultless over about 12k miles I think, the only thing to note is the brakes squeak – appears to be common complaint on them all. It is a step down in quality from the VW, things like the dash plastics, the glovebox lid doesn’t quite fit flush, the metal is thinner so there is a bit of flex in the body (less now it’s converted and got stuff attached to the sides).

It’s slower than the T5 but it’s a big van, it’s comfortable to drive and quiet enough. Apparently the Ducato engine is better but I’m not sure if that still applies to the current vans and apart from that they’re all the same van.

For us it has been an excellent move.

phil5556

Some photos, because why not? 🙂

damascus
    Free Member

@phil555

Do you use this as your daily drive or just as a campervan?

This will be my daily drive and I’m just wondering what it will be like to park etc.

Thanks for the photos, that looks great.

bazzer
    Free Member

How does the Relay compare driving wise to a a Trafic ?

I have a 2015 Trafic Sport DCi140 thats got a little over 100K on it now. I am going to replace it sometimes soon. I have had it from new and its a great drive. Would like something slightly bigger. Though concerned about living with something bigger day to day as currently its my daily driver.

phil5556

@damascus No it’s not a daily, but I do occasionally run around in it.

I could happily drive it as a daily but I don’t need to drive and park in town or tight car parks etc. It just about fits in a standard space if you can find one to hang the back over.

I guess it depends where you need to go as a T5 really is the same size as a large car, this is obviously bigger. It’s a fair bit wider too I think.

alpin
    Free Member

Thought the thread title was familiar….

I sold my T5 back in April and picked up a brand new, super long, super high 160bhp 2.3lt Ducato Maxi. 160 over the 140bhp because of the uprated clutch, drive shafts, brakes and I think gear box.

Went for the Ducato over the French offerings due to the number of Fiat/Iveco workshops available compared to Citroën or Peugeot (and most garages cannot accommodate a 2.6m high vehicle on their ramps).

Can’t say anything with regards to longevity.
    Only covered 2900km as it’s been sat in the workshop for most of its life so far. Trying to fit conversion around work which has been busier than ever recently.

surfpunk

I drive Fiat Ducato based ambulances at work.
    They take no end of abuse when driven on blue lights from cold 24/7.
    The only problems we ever have is with third party electrical systems going haywire, coms and equipment batteries etc.
    They come in a variety of engine power outputs the low bhp ones struggle with the weight.
    The auto gearboxes are nice but not common.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Converting an L3H2 Boxer in the new year. Also having a pop up roof fitted as we don’t want to have to make the beds each night. Bunks at the back for the kids. 4 driving seats.

tillydog
    Free Member

We went for an L2/H2 to help with parking (at home mainly):

Still managed to get room for 4 bikes under a high transverse bed.

ydxj0062.jpg

ydxj0054.jpg

DSC09092.jpg

If you live somewhere with a lot of roundabouts, you might find it tedious after the T5 – they are very much a van to drive.

Olly
    Free Member

T5 is a big car really

Independant suspension on swingarms and coils (iirc) on all corners and effectively a moncoque body like a car.

“proper vans” (everything else) seems to be a cab, engine drivechain up front, with a ladder hanging off the back. Wheels vaguely tacked on to that and the body sat on top. Much better for adaptability/variety in manafacture at little cost addition.

I also read that during “the deal” with PSA, fiat kept their engines exclusive though that was some years ago now and i doubt any of them are still using the same engines.

Having had all three:

T5 nicest in the corners
    Ducato, best Van as a van. nice and boxy, plenty enough poke for its job (130bhp 2.2)
    Work one was very reliable. never had any issues hustling it along tight country lanes (though this may have been helped by it being a work van)
    Transit is trying to sell itself to the T5 market with its handsome face and relatively nice car type cab pinched straight out of the focus, but is still basic body on frame underneath, so it makes a good cruiser, it doesnt want to get pushed around the twisty lanes too hard. (possibly because this one is mine and i dont want to scuff it up!)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Relay vs Ducato vs Boxer…. Same, same but different…?’ is closed to new replies.