Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • relaxing town near Nice?
  • jools182
    Free Member

Thinking of travelling to Nice in July, but I am thinking it might be a bit too hectic for me to stay in Nice itself

I’ve stayed in Grimaud a few times but was wondering what other nice little towns there are around there for a weeks break?

peterfile
    Free Member

How near does it need to be?

I’ve got a soft spot for Genoa and surrounding area, but that’s a couple of hours drive away.

Moses

What do you enjoy doing? And how will you travel once you’re there?

I have two suggestions based on experience, both of which involve taking a train out of Nice.
    There’s a fabulous train going out of the main station towards Torino through the Bas Alpes. Sospel is a small town with some accommodation, lots of riding & waking around. There are other towns with stations along the way, some of which are fabulous. Breil & Tende may be on the line.

Edit: the train has half-carriages set out for carrying bikes. There will be bags of space if you’re planning to ride there.

There’s a narrow-guage railway running from a separate station, going NW through some lovely countryside. Entrevaux is a tine town which might suit you. Check them all out.

wallop

I like Saint Maxime but haven’t spent a week there. Probably worth investigating.

lunge

San Remo. Just across the border and a wonderful little town.

nickc

Grasse is 1/2 hr drive and is a nice ( slightly touristy) town, quiet in the evening, further afield Fayance is smaller and quieter still with a lovely small French market town feel to it. Both within easy drive of Nice

jools182
    Free Member

Was thinking about hiring a car when I get to Nice because I like having a mooch around different places

murf
    Free Member

Beaulieu-sur-mer is lovely, we stayed there on honeymoon a few years ago. Just round the coast on the train from Nice. Some great driving roads especially the one over the hills to Monaco, the weather was so hot our mx5 was cooler with the roof up!

LHS
    Free Member

Stayed in Biot last year, which was nice and relaxing.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Mandelieu-la-Napoule, Saint Raphael, Frejus & Saint Aygulf are all nice near Nice.

Now where did I put my Stranglers CD?

mlpinto
    Free Member

Like good food and old hilltop towns? Try Mougins – very close to Cannes, if that’s not too far

andrewh
    Free Member

Sospel
    rockabillier (sp?)
    st. Matin vesubile (sp?)
    collabaries
    San Remo
    in no particular order, all very nice.
    Nice, Cannes and St. Tropez all muchly over-rated

RichPenny
    Free Member

Went to a wedding once in Villeneuve Loubet, which is a little hill town close to Nice. That seemed nice to me.

RichPenny
    Free Member

From memory, the drive over the italian border was stunning, so would recommend the coast road up that way.

trevron73
    Free Member

Menton for me ,I,ve been 3 times or Cap de Ferrat if the budget allows ,we rented a Penthouse in Cap de Ferrat such a nice quite place ?Menton is a much cheaper alt to Monaco only 15 mins drive away and right on the ocean?

lasty
    Free Member

Got a soft spot for Bandol – great little town on the coast .
    Must be something to do with nipping into the bank just before lunch to be served by what can only be described as a goddess and seeing her 10 minutes later – sans attire on the (quiet) beach …. 8)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘relaxing town near Nice?’ is closed to new replies.