Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Relax folks – your artisanal olive oil is safe!!!
  • scotroutes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22644280

The EU has dropped plans to ban restaurants from using refillable jugs and bowls of olive oil, after they drew consumer criticism and even ridicule.

I know this was a major worry for some of the STW big-hitters and that they’ll all sleep more soundly tonight knowing that their right to consume cheap, possibly contaminated, olive oil has been saved.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I mostly make a point of popping a snot rocket in the jar these days anyway for extra flavour. :mrgreen:

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But critics, including British PM David Cameron, accused the EU of meddling.

Which makes you wonder why Britain chose to abstain rather than vote against the proposition.

And of course the British PM is more than happy to allow the EU to “meddle” in our affairs when it comes to the EU forcing us to privitise our 500 year old Royal Mail.

So our mail service will be handed over to greedy profit hungry, most probably foreign owned, operators, who will of course push up prices, whilst delivering a worse service, and offering less favourable employment conditions and wages, but at least our dipping olive oil will be free from EU interference.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

But your sarcasm is a bit misplaced?

The point is, how many euro “civil servants” on decent wages, in expensive prestige offices, doing research, asking producers, speaking to lobbyists, the food industry, restauters and producers,with all the best equipment, and providing every document in several languages via expensive translators, through hours of committees, to production of the proposals, voting ther on, and the media output, did it take to come up with just a totally obviously spannerish idea to a non problem.

If this didn’t cost hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of wasted euros, from a largely unaccountable body who sit supreme and neigh on untouchable over English law, and isn’t being replicated in hundreds of other offices with other equally spannerish ideas, it would be ok. But your tax bill pays for this farce.

So its not such a non story really, is it? Is this what “Yerp” should be about? Perhaps focus on international free trade, law and order and defence, and save billions of highly paid euro politik’ers and their expense accounts…

nealglover
    Free Member

Whilst I fully agree with all the sensible stuff Junkyard just said.

I’m just glad that the restaurant up the will still be able to serve me lovely bits of fresh bread and a little dish of olive oil and balsamic vinegar while they cook my food 😀

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

And of course the British PM is more than happy to allow the EU to “meddle” in our affairs when it comes to the EU forcing us to privitise our 500 year old Royal Mail.
    It’ll be turned into some sort of hedge fund, no doubt

maccruiskeen

olive oil has been saved.

The opposite is true really. It hasn’t been saved. The horse meat scandal was just the tip of the iceberg in food mis-labelling terms and olive oil is one of the most smuggled, most doctored, most mis-labelled and mis-sold products in europe.

martinhutch

It’ll be turned into some sort of hedge fund, no doubt

That’s where my mail will probably end up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Relax folks – your artisanal olive oil is safe!!!’ is closed to new replies.