• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Relatively flat but fun rides near Sheffield?
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

After a thorough going over by the physio yesterday I have been given a load of exercises for my hip and knee but thankful also told I can keep riding – as long as its not too strenuous. As its the climbs that have been hurting the most I am trying to think if somewhere to ride off road but quite flatish

Does such a place exist near here? I can drive if its not too far as I have about 5 child free hours to play with today but would like to try and spend a couple of those riding

docrobster
    Free Member

Mondale trail is flat as a pancake. Or ladybower loop?
    Not exactly fun though! Hounkirk moor is flattish.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Derwent is an option but quite fancy a change of scenery. Anyone been to sherwood pines – I pressume its fairly flat maybe?

docrobster
    Free Member

Yes pines is pretty flat. And the red route is fun if you attack it. Also singletrack round clumber park though I’m not sure about routes there

pnik

Im struggling with this concept. As trail centres go sherwood pines isnt very hilly, but they have worked to get the most out of the contours they have got, same as bedgeberry swinley etc.
    I find the flatter ones harder work in pedalling terms as you no respite. You have to pedal more to maintain momentum. Other places you get one or two big climbs and lots of gravity induced fun.
    Give it a go, but you may just have to do relatively boring stuff until knees in better shape.

I reserve the right to be wrong.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I can manage a steady ride just not the ups and downs of the peaks, I am sure sherwood pines will be easier going than the climbs out there. I just want to pedal with reasonable effort as long as possible and a steadily as possible. The big climb followed by decent would equate to intense pain and then not enjoying the descent as the pain would be subsiding, and overall not beneficial.

I am quite fit and can happily ride at a reasonable pace for a long time, I dont want to lose my fitness whilst I am waiting for my hip to recover. I feel that a steady almost constant pedal at a pace that doesnt aggravate the joint is better for me – if that makes sense

AndrewL

Circuit round Ladybower – following the reservoir
    Monsal/Tissington etc in White Peak
    Loop of new bridleways round Big Moor/Totley Moss/Houndkirk
    Longendale Trail

MrNice
    Free Member

Circuit round Ladybower – following the reservoir
    Monsal/Tissington etc in White Peak
    Loop of new bridleways round Big Moor/Totley Moss/Houndkirk
    Longendale Trail

I’d be wary of trying the new bridleways if you want to avoid climbing – could easily find yourself at the bottom of a hill by accident. White peak would be my bet.

woody21
    Free Member

If you do the Tissington Trail start a Tissington and head up to Parsley Hay, it is all downhill back to Tissington

rogerthecat
    Free Member

The Woodhead Trail is a bit further over, seems remote but is a gentle ride on a good surface.
    Carsington Res is also a good circuit, a few small sharp climbs but nothing taxing.
    You could try Delamere, again some reasonably flatish routes.
    Spent a happy day around Clumber and compared to the Peaks it’s flat.
    It’s possible to link up some quite flat routes around here but it’s a map and an evenings planning, may have a couple I did post ab surgery if you’re interested.
    Or, get some rollers and a box of romcoms!!! 😯

ianfitz
    Free Member

Get on the transpennine trail around outibridge and head over to hadfield. There are a few hills but nowt by peak standards!

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Well I popped over to sherwood pines, thought the ‘adventure’ route sounded sensible, and it was – I got a bit bored with it so took a detour following random bits of single track then met up with the red route. That was much more fun and all the climbs were very managable – ended up being less of a sensibke ride but was much more fun that way and only a slight ache in my knee so I am quite happy 🙂

@rogerthecat – if you do have a couple of routes that would be great, and I may still be getting either turbo trainer or rollers . . . . But no way will you ever find me stocking up on romcoms!

@ianfitz I sometimes do the trail to dunford bridge when I want fast miles but it isnt really fun, in fact the only fun bit is the route I take from Hillsborough to deepcar via Wharncliffe

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@AW – will dig some out for you and email them to the address sin your profile.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

@rtc that’d be great. Thank you

dawson

Clumber is my patch, so could show you round if you come over this way again

br
    Free Member

I use to live in Goole, quite near to you and won’t find many places flatter.

http://binged.it/1bjOX7r

Look at the contours, biggest number you’ll find is a ‘3’ 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Relatively flat but fun rides near Sheffield?’ is closed to new replies.