Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rejoining a split chain
  • rascal
    Free Member

Pushed the connecting pin out to split the chain to degrease it properly. It should go back in cleanly but would you do that or put a split link in instead? I’ll do whatever is likely to be the strongest…

simondbarnes

Split link

nickjb
    Free Member

Modern chains don’t seem to go back together very well. I always used to push the pin back in but these days I go for a split link

hols2
    Free Member

Definitely split link, especially if you want to be able to remove it again in the future to clean it.

dudeofdoom

+1 Split link every time.

kerley
    Free Member

I have had 2 mechanicals resulting in me walking home in the last 2 years (last one 2 weeks ago). Both were due to chain snapping and both chains had been split and rejoined with a chain tool numerous times (due to change of ratios on fixed gear bike)

I am never going to rejoin a chain again and am now intent on keeping same gearing for life of chain…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I used to split and rejoin my shimano chains multiple times until i realised that you shouldn’t do it. I use split links now – and i re-use them multiple times as well…

DezB
    Free Member

8 & 9 speed chains were fine rejoined with the pin (except Shimano). Now, its best to use a split link.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have had 2 mechanicals resulting in me walking home in the last 2 years (last one 2 weeks ago). Both were due to chain snapping and both chains had been split and rejoined with a chain tool numerous times (due to change of ratios on fixed gear bike)

I am never going to rejoin a chain again and am now intent on keeping same gearing for life of chain…

Simple solution to that is to use the spare chain when you get a new one to make up a set of extensions. Then put two quick links in the chain next to each other in the shortest ratio you’ll run. Track ends should give enough adjustment for about 4-5t difference so if setup correctly you need extensions about 3/6/9 half links long (i.e. 1.5″, 3″, 4.5″).

OTOH, I’ve never broken a track chain when I have had to join it without a link. The thicker side plates seem much more resilient to bodging, and they’re not being twisted.

petercook80
    Free Member

Another for a quick link…  chain pins are not designed to be driven out and then used to rejoin

spooky_b329

I do as thisisnotspoon, I’ll run a short chain with a section of 3 links with two pairs of quicklinks. If I change to a smaller sprocket I take out the 3 links and put in a 2 link section instead.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rejoining a split chain’ is closed to new replies.