Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Reintroducing bears to Scotland?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Last month I was on a busman’s holiday doing some tree work with bunch of tree surgeons.

Over a (rare) break I mentioned a news article about a girl who had been attacked by a grizzly bear whilst in her tent and eaten in Montana

The young Glasgow lad on the team said that’s worrying as bears are being reintroduced to Scotland. We all looked at each other requesting more detail.

We confirmed that moves were afoot to reintroduce beavers and wolves, but there were no bears in Scotland other than in zoos

The lad wasn’t having it. He’d seen the vans. What vans? ‘Bear Scotland’ vans! It says ‘Bear Transport’ on the side and there’s a picture o’ a bear on the side. I see them all the time on the road to Dundee, there must be a ton o’ bears up that way.

No amount of convincing him otherwise would reassure him that they were road maintenance company vans

jimdubleyou

Doesn’t bear thinking about 🤣🤣🤣

nickc

…And that is how conspiracy theories get started children,…by really really dumb ****

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol brilliant!

oldtennisshoes

😀 Did he also think that Perthshire is shrinking?

martymac

Surely he was pulling your leg!!

mikeyp

I hope he’s not seen any mammoet trucks in Scotland, that would really freak him out.

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆 class

Harry_the_Spider

Regularly ride past a low loader with Rochdale Scrap written on it and wonder where the apostrophe has gone.

Nice to see you back McMoonty! Thought that you’d found somewhere different to play.

fasthaggis

Excellent.
    Wait till that youngster sees the danger signs for large plant crossings 🙂

irc

Always added a bit of spice camping in the woods in western USA knowing you were not top of the food chain.
    Spice? Paranoia.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

HtS – I seem to have been busy with random projects without much time to post nonsense

matt_outandabout

OP, that is genuinely funny….

At the opposite end, we also have quality like this:

<div class=”sc-iBmynh sc-fKGOjr htYxdL”>

Mr McGuire described the moment he was bitten. “I was out for a walk with my brother Steve and his kids. We were going off to have a picnic at a local beauty spot. “The next minute, one of the kids ran up and said there was a snake in the grass. I just thought it was a grass snake. “I just bent down to pick it up so my brother could take a photo with his mobile phone. Suddenly a massive black snake just appeared, so I picked that up too. It was then that the second one just sank his fangs right into my hand and then the other one did the same to my other hand.” Mr McGuire told The Scotsman that he had not been particularly concerned about picking up the reptiles as he did not believe there were venomous snakes in Scotland.

</div>

https://www.scotsman.com/news/man-bitten-snake-picked-adder-holiday-snap-2510690

towzer

Their re-introduction is much more advanced than you think, there is already a mainstream restaurant chain selling them as part of their outdoor sports food range, the Bear Grylls restaurant chain.

grum
    Free Member

God knows what he thinks https://roadlay.co.uk/ offer as a service

grahamt1980

The thing about the bears gryll range is that i have never seen a bear bother with cooking before eating, let alone bbq

p7eaven
    Free Member

And that is how conspiracy theories get started

How many conspirursusists does it take before a situation becomes unbearable?

chickenman

Bears are herbivores, completely harmless. The 4″ long canines are purely decorative.
    Seriously, I know two guys that got munched by bears, one in the Rockies and one in Trentino, Italy where they were reintroduced recently (frisky make bear looking for a fight rather than the “only mothers protecting their young ever attack”).

matt_outandabout

Does a bear shit in the woods?

towzer

Apparently this one did.

(*apologies for lack of linking, embedding skills)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B20Oue7AU6C/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

epicyclo

Hoping this does not happen. The rare Wester Ross Haggis is close to extinction and they are a favourite food of bears.

IdleJon

At the opposite end, we also have quality like this:

<div class=”sc-iBmynh sc-fKGOjr htYxdL”>

Mr McGuire described the moment he was bitten. “I was out for a walk with my brother Steve and his kids. We were going off to have a picnic at a local beauty spot. “The next minute, one of the kids ran up and said there was a snake in the grass. I just thought it was a grass snake. “I just bent down to pick it up so my brother could take a photo with his mobile phone.

And the irony is that there are no photos of this idiot with the snakes or of the ‘hideous’ result of the bite..

BillMC

Give Bearsden a swerve

poly
    Free Member

And the irony is that there are no photos of this idiot with the snakes or of the ‘hideous’ result of the bite..

Well the article says:

Horrified by his own appearance, Mr McGuire refused to let his family see him while he was in hospital.

which I assume meant:

Horrified by his stupidity, Mr McGuire’s family refused to see him while he was in hospital.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

If you are in any way thinking of reintroducing wolves why not bears?

Very important in the forest ecosystems, they live with them in Europe Etc, within their natural range, another part of re-establishing a valuable habitat.

bsims
    Free Member

Not if it’s a Polar Bear

nick1962
    Free Member

You should have told him about the monthly Bear’s Night at The Underground in Glasgow and watch him implode 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

Bert our Karelian Bear Dog is very happy with this news

slowoldman

I’m fairly sure they don’t look for a public convenience.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Reintroducing bears to Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.