Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Reinserting saddle rail that's popped out
  • nicko74

Came off the bike on the way home tonight, and one of the saddle rails popped out of the back of the saddle in the impact. Rail and saddle are both absolutely fine, it’s just that they’re not connected as they should.

Any solutions on how to get the rail back into the little hole again? I’ve tried a big spanner, but am not really sure how best to use it to get it in.

Cheers

Northwind

Clamp the rail in a seatpost, makes it easier to contort. still not easy! Only time I managed it, it ended up coming out again.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

although I’m sure the 1 in 1000 will be along shortly but never been able to, heard of or seen it done.

nicko74

Well I’ve given it a go with another seatpost to lever in the rail, and then lever the rail back a bit to make the saddle level. We shall see in the next few days whether it breaks – and whether that affects my ability to have children…

mrmoofo

Surely, if it has popped out once, it will do it again?

rewski
    Free Member

New saddle, or cut a groove in the plastic for the rail to sit on, will never feel right though. Fizik replaced a saddle for someone on here.

fasthaggis

Had a rail snap on a Ti SLR and I thought I would try and put some other rails back in as I really liked the saddle.
    I have no idea how they do them at the factory,but I would have had more success solving a rubiks cube blindfolded .

Good luck

johnhe

I couldn’t manage it. New saddle time for me.

superdale
    Free Member

Had this happen on an SDG during a crash. Simply cut a groove in the plastic retention tab slightly smaller than the width of the rail using a dremel or similar, then pop the rail back into the tab by just pushing down. The remaining plastic will retain the rail then just hot glue gun all around the tab & rail to make sure it never comes out again.
    Mines been like this for years & worked fine.

br
    Free Member

Saddles are cheap, just bin it – far better that than a(nother) hole in the ar5e.

nicko74

Surely, if it has popped out once, it will do it again?

It might; I’m hopeful that because it’s my road bike, and hence doesn’t often have that kind of impact, I might be OK.

Triumph of hope over experience? 😉

mrlugz
    Free Member

I managed once with a Fizik Gobi Xm that popped out.

It inolved a vice, a large adjustable spanner, a pipe wrench and a whole load of swearing.

I stripped most of the paint off the rails in the process, but it went back in.

I’d love to be able to call a £50 saddle cheap mind…..

eshershore
    Free Member

@ b r

^^ that’s about it really

there is a reason the saddle rail has exited the saddle hull

you don’t want to be trying to re-introduce the 2 really?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Reinserting saddle rail that's popped out’ is closed to new replies.